Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Flakey patches on oily skin..so confused

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
linz_legrand View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote linz_legrand Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Flakey patches on oily skin..so confused
    Posted: October 02 2005 at 5:20pm
Does anyone know what to do for flakey skin on the face?  I have flakey (not dry -- my skin is actually rather oily) skin patches on/around my nose, on my chin, and on my forehead.  I dont know haw to makes them go away and they look really bad with makeup!!  Please help!

Thanks!
- Linz

Edited by linz_legrand
eKatherine View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eKatherine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 02 2005 at 9:06pm
I used to have this problem, now I soak and scrub them away daily while in the shower. Soap makes it worse, but I find that a mild shampoo or even a conditioner softens it up so any flakes can be gently scraped away.

Just looking for a few good hair slaves - is that too much to ask?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote linz_legrand Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2005 at 6:18pm
Thanks eKatherine

How did you "scape" them away?

- Linz
aseya View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aseya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2005 at 4:27pm
I had that for a while. I used a very heavy moisturiser on the flakey bits. I actually used Eucerine dry skin therapy. I applied it 2-3 times a day for three days and teh dry patches went away. It's best done on the weekend though cuz I looked like I had been dipped in oil! :)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote linz_legrand Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 23 2005 at 1:49pm
Thanks aseya, but i think that would make my skin brake out even worse than it already is.

Any other suggestions?

- LL
blueorca84 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blueorca84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 29 2005 at 9:42am

try a good exfolitaing scrub, and a good moisturizer.  i LOVE clean & clear shine control.  it makes my skin super soft and feel less oily.  and it's oil free, so your skin won't brake out as much.

aseya View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aseya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 29 2005 at 2:25pm
I started using a scrub a few times a week (I used Lush's Angels On Bare Skin- its the only scrub I've used that didnt' make me break out in a rash). But I noticed that the sides of my nose were getting flakey so I stopped using it for a while and it was ok.

I can't really think of anything that might help except maybe a facial peel? Like an exfoliating mask. I've used Elemis's Papaya Enzyme Peel. It was really gentle but still made my skin really soft and smooth. You can look it up online and then maybe find somethign similar. OR maybe try an oil free lotion just on the dry patchy bits like Loreal's hydrafresh. That will moisturise your skin but won't clog your pores. And make sure you drink LOADS of water. When I stop drikning water you can totally tell!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote linz_legrand Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 04 2005 at 10:28pm
Thanks everyone for all of your suggestions!  It makes me feel a lot better to know that I'm not the only one who has this problem!  I'll have to start drinking more water and try some of the products you all suggested.

Thanks again, and I have another question:  would microdermabrasion or peels take the dead skin off or just create more?  I have used Neutrogeana Acne Mark Fading Peel on and off and have been looking into their microdermabrasion system and possibly Olay Regenerist Thermal Polisher Mask.

Would these help or hurt me, and if they will help, does anyone have any suggestions for products I can find at Wal-Mart or Target?  Haha -- kind of on a tight budget!

Thanks again!
- Linz

Edited by linz_legrand
Tinkerbelle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tinkerbelle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 07 2005 at 2:10pm

I agree with a scrub...most will work, but you need to use one that is for sensitive skin.  You dont want to irritate it more. 

I use Lancome Adaptive Foundation and it has really helped since it moistures the dry areas while controlling the oily areas.  If you can afford it ...I would suggest getting it

DianeLuvsMunky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DianeLuvsMunky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 09 2005 at 3:48pm
Linz I have the same problem you do. I have extremley oily skin(none of it is dry or even normal), however I get these flakey patches, most of them due to acne treatments and weather change.

What works for me is very inexpensive, and in your house.
Paper Towel.
After I shower (when flakey skin is more easy to rub off), I dampen a sheet of paper towel and apply my regular face wash to it. Then I rub my face with it paying special attention to the flakey parts.

Don't be extra gental either.... the whole point is to remove the flakes.
However don't rub your face raw either.
Do this at least once every day.

If it doesn't work for you, at least you wont feel so bad about the money you lost.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic