Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Losing a lot of hair!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
GlamGirl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GlamGirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Losing a lot of hair!
    Posted: October 04 2005 at 4:48pm

Hello everyone!  I have tail-bone length hair that is both professionally colored and highlighted.  Over the last couple of months, I've noticed my hair is falling more than usual.  Everytime I comb my hair, especially when I comb it out after towel drying, I see a pretty decent amount of hair.  Even my stylist says it's a bit more than the norm.  She, however (unlike myself) thinks it's nothing to worry about. 

Any thoughts or suggestions?  I'm so afraid that I'm going to start getting bald spots...  I've always had such thick long hair... 

Edited by GlamGirl
Astarte View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Astarte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 09 2005 at 12:05pm
Not to freak you out or anything, but it definitely should be checked out.  Hair loss is no fun at all. 
How often do you colour it?  And is it falling out, or rather breaking off (you can tell by looking at a strand that's come out- a root means it didn't break off).  The chemical processes definitely damage it, and that might be the root (sorry, bad pun) of the problem.
There are many other things it could be though.  Medical conditions, diet, stress, et cetera.. try to rule some things out, be careful though.  I'd say you'd be safest seeing a dermatologist and getting their professional opinion.  It'd definitely be worth it. 

I hope everything goes well!  take care. =)
king lady View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote king lady Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 22 2005 at 9:44am
Can anyone tell me the best way to get rid of (cure) Alopeica. My 21 year old daughter has it and it is causing her to be so depressed. We have gone to several doctors and they have no answers. They give her medication that makes her sleepy, but no results. Please Help!
Susan W View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Susan W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 09 2005 at 9:04am
Unfortunately, I don't think there is a cure.  Many of the treatments for it must be discussed with your doctor as some of them are not totally safe to take for long periods of time - things like steroid creams or injections and such.  Have you searched the net for information?  Here is a page from National Institutes of Health which mentions common treatments (scroll down):  http://www.niams.nih.gov/hi/topics/alopecia/alopecia.htm
Since science seems to have trouble fixing this one, I'd be inclined to search the net for herbal therapies - but be sure to read all about them from reliable sources and their possible side effects and drug interactions before letting her use any of that stuff.  Not all of it is safe either, better to be informed.  Good luck.

Glamgirl:  If you're still around, it sounds normal to me.  When you dye your hair you will get more hair loss than you did before, and its normal to lose up to 100 hairs a day (sounds like a lot, but it does replace itself).  If you feel your hairloss is more excessive (you start to get bald spots, then do see a doctor about it for blood tests - could be thyroid and things such as that).  Also be sure you aren't taking too many vitamins (too much of some things such as vitamin A can cause hair loss).

Edited by Susan W
Making metal barettes/concord clips hair safe, long hair style how to: http://alonghair.wordpress.com
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic