Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Highlighted hair to dark brown.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
abercrombie86 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote abercrombie86 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Highlighted hair to dark brown.
    Posted: October 04 2005 at 10:10pm

so here's the deal. i've highlighted my hair profesionally twice now, and i love it. the only problem is that it is so expensive and my mom can't pay for it to get done very often so i have 3 inch roots showing. and it looks tacky. so i was thinking of dying it dark brown and stop highlighting it..

my bangs are blonde, and i have chunky blonde streaks, and dark brown streaks. I want to go to dark brown, but do i need to use a color filler (whatever that is), or a color lifter before i dye it dark? or can i just dye it how it is? and if i do that, will it be lighter where the blonde was? ahhhh.. haha. thank you in advance!

Claude View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2005 at 9:23pm

If you color over already colored hair the end result will be darker than the desired color and you will be disappointed and upset.

Color doesn't lighten already colored hair. If you are going to a darker color you that is 2 levels or more darker than your current color or your highlights you would need to pre-pigment of fill that lighter color hair to add that underlying pigment back into the hair strands that are lighter so the dye has something to grab onto. Are the Dark Brown streaks the desired color that you'd want throughout your hair or do you want to go even darker than that? It's hard for me to tell without actually seeing your hair but you'd want to use a red filler if your going to dark brown.

If you don't fill the light colored hair with a filler it will end up orange since there is no underlying pigment....the purpose of the filler is to put that pigment back into the hair that you originally bleached out when the highlights were put into your hair.

G'luck

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic