Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

How do you determine your hair type?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
blackhoney112 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blackhoney112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: How do you determine your hair type?
    Posted: October 20 2005 at 12:42pm
Hi everybody I am a newbie and I was wondering how you determine your hair type? I see the symbols 4a/b etc. and I am not sure how to determine my hair type...thanks in advance for the info!
Hair album
pw:Romeo
Pokahontas View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pokahontas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 20 2005 at 1:21pm

Go to this site.....http://naturallycurly2.com/curl411/types.php

If your hair is relaxed you need to have a few inches of new growth. HTH!

aseya View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aseya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 21 2005 at 4:20pm
Ok..here's my problem with the typing chart (is that what its called?)..according to naturallycurly.com, I would be a 3a/3b. But according to some of the charts I've seen on the BlackHairMedia board, it's not curly enough to be a 3 and I'd be a 2b/c??
Are you supposed to check your hair when it dries naturally? Because when I use a curling balm I can get it quite curly, but when I let it airdry it just has a slight wave to it.
Renee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Renee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 21 2005 at 6:02pm
are you relaxed or natural? you cant tell your hair type until you have lots of newgrowth or you remember what your hair looked like when it was natural

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pokahontas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2005 at 6:31am

Originally posted by aseya aseya wrote:

Ok..here's my problem with the typing chart (is that what its called?)..according to naturallycurly.com, I would be a 3a/3b. But according to some of the charts I've seen on the BlackHairMedia board, it's not curly enough to be a 3 and I'd be a 2b/c??
Are you supposed to check your hair when it dries naturally? Because when I use a curling balm I can get it quite curly, but when I let it airdry it just has a slight wave to it.

Most hair type charts are quite different.  I just stick to the most used one which is Andre Walker's chart.  It seems to be the one that most people go by.  I get confused with some of the other charts because they have me being like a 2c also and that just don't seem right. 

I guess you should check your hair after it dries naturally.

aseya View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aseya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2005 at 11:27am
I'm natural. But I've got about 3-4 'layers' of color on the last few inches of my hair and about 2-3 inches of virgin regrowth (haven't colored it since May and MY GOODNESS does it grow slow!! :) )

I don't know...I put my dry hair in a pony tail today and when I took it out it was completely straight except for a little wave at the bottom. No curl at all. Unless I put loads of product in it, all of my curls straighten out the next day. I guess I'm going to say it's a 2c/3a?

Also, has anyone else's hair changed over the years? Mine seems to have changed a lot over the last year or so. It's been kinda slow, but I can definitly see a difference now. I'm not sure, it might be my age, or my hormones or something like that, but my hair is much finer than its been in years and the new regrowth seems to have a much looser curl (almost just a wave). It's almost as if my hair is reverting to the way it was when I was a little girl.It's so weird!It also looks like it might be thinning a little...I've still got loads of hair, but starting to panic a little!!! Has this happened to anyone else? Should I be worried?
Layla View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Layla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2005 at 4:29pm
My hair seems to be changing right now. I'm at 12 weeks post relaxer when I usually relax my hair and I can brush it pretty flat. Usually my roots are so puffy. My hair looks about 3-4 weeks post relaxer. It's not because it's growing slower or anything because I have the same amount of new growth I usually have. It's just more wavy.
Type: 3c/4a Natural
Current Length: 6"
Goal: Healthy, tip of nose /neck/shoulder length hair.
BC: 02/08/06
Renee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Renee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2005 at 8:04pm
Originally posted by Layla Layla wrote:

My hair seems to be changing right now. I'm at 12 weeks post relaxer
when I usually relax my hair and I can brush it pretty flat. Usually my
roots are so puffy. My hair looks about 3-4 weeks post relaxer. It's
not because it's growing slower or anything because I have the same
amount of new growth I usually have. It's just more wavy.
are you taking MSM? that might be the reason for the wavy hair
Sistaslick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sistaslick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2005 at 9:24pm

From my understanding of Andre's book- the difference between type 2 and type 3 is that type 2 is a wave and 3 is a curl.  Waves grow "flat to the head" and appear this way when airdried naturally and curls grow "away from the head" if that makes any sense 

Layla View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Layla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 23 2005 at 9:26am
No, I'm not taking MSM or biotin or anything.
jasmine2g3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jasmine2g3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 23 2005 at 6:15pm
How do you measure the length of your hair? Do you take a ruler/measuring tape and measure the longest strands or the measure from the root at the forehead area to the ends of your hair in the back? Hope yall can understand...I always compare to the body parts like shoulder length, armpit or bra strap. Thanks a lot!

My hair idol
Transitioning
Current Length:1"above bra strap-layered
Texture:3c
*~*~* Jazz*~*~*
Layla View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Layla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 24 2005 at 5:52pm
I measure from the hairline in front to the ends in the back. I also measure from my middle part to the ends in the front.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blackhoney112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2005 at 12:58pm
Thanks for the info Pokahontas!

Originally posted by Pokahontas Pokahontas wrote:

Hair album

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blackhoney112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2005 at 1:03pm
I used a hair chart I found at Black beauty, Black hair
http://p069.ezboard.com/fblackbeautyblackhair86911frm84.show Message?topicID=12.topic

Originally posted by jasmine2g3 jasmine2g3 wrote:

How do you measure the length of your hair? Do you take a ruler/measuring tape and measure the longest strands or the measure from the root at the forehead area to the ends of your hair in the back? Hope yall can understand...I always compare to the body parts like shoulder length, armpit or bra strap. Thanks a lot!
Hair album

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pokahontas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 26 2005 at 8:05am
Originally posted by blackhoney112 blackhoney112 wrote:

Thanks for the info Pokahontas!

Originally posted by Pokahontas Pokahontas wrote:

Your welcome

missfro View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote missfro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 27 2005 at 8:09am

according to this chart i would be 3c i guess . i dont really remember how my hair used to be like when i was younger ...

another site i found and this is what it had :

http://www.blended-beauty.com/Biracial_Hair_Types.html 

according ot this one i am a 3B7 .. so which one to believe .. btw have anyone tried these products !!!

Hair type: 4a or 3C<--transitioning
Hair length: 20"
goal:relaxer free healthy hair
Last relaxer: Sept 05
Layla View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Layla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 27 2005 at 8:54am
You are both of those types. Different charts have different hair types. Most people use the one that you are a 3c in.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic