Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Layla’s Hair Diary!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Layla View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Layla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Layla’s Hair Diary!
    Posted: October 23 2005 at 10:03am
HAIR HISTORY

I have 4a hair and am extremely tenderheaded. When I was a child and even now I hated getting my hair combed so I was glad when my mother offered for me to get it cut all off. I was about 5 years old. My hair was I guess waist length or almost waist length. I got it cut to about 1". I loved having short hair that I could comb myself and didn't hurt. When I was 12 and my hair was about bsl when stretched and I was tired of getting it combed again, my mother put Curl Free Relaxer (which is really sort of a texturizer) on my hair. It relaxed the curl some and I was able to wear my hair in a huge ponytail since I didn't know how to deal with my hair. Back then I didn't know about shampoos and conditioners so I used whatever my mother bought me, which happened to be the cheapest, biggest bottle of shampoo -Pantene Clarifying Shampoo-. I then went to a hairdresser to get my hair evened up so I lost a lot of length and my hair ended up being past my shoulders. I may have used Curl Free one more time but I can't remember because my father didn't want me to use it. I let it grow out and cut the relaxed hair off. When I was 14 and upset with my hair again my mother let me get it relaxed at a beauty shop. It was straighter than using Curl Free but still not straight. When I was 15 or 16 I started getting it done straighter. The last 4 times I've had my hair relaxed my mother has done it at home with Phytorelaxer. Now I'm 17 and I'm transitioning back to my natural hair. I hope to be able to deal with my hair now that I've learned more about taking care of it. I'm still just as tenderheaded as ever.

Edited by Layla
Type: 3c/4a Natural
Current Length: 6"
Goal: Healthy, tip of nose /neck/shoulder length hair.
BC: 02/08/06
Layla View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Layla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 31 2005 at 9:27am
Before starting this journal I was using a normal journal, so now I'll copy some of the things I want to remember.

October 27, 2005
Because of my flaky scalp I shampooed my scalp really well. Good news no more flaky scalp. Bad news new growth is huge, undefined, and frizzy.

October 29, 2005
Scalp massage w/avocado oil, Fox's Shea Conditioning Cream on ends, and CO wash. Roots are back to normal. Today's leave-ins: Sebastian Potion 9, FSCC, and Aussie Tizz No Frizz gel. Hair pulled back into very sleek bun.

So shampoo gets rid of my flakes but isn't good for my hair. Conditioner is very good for my hair but makes my scalp itch cause of the cones. I bought V05 kiwi lime conditioner to see if that helps.

I've been shampooing every 4-7 days and haven't CO in awhile. My hair gets really flat when I deep condition so I don't have that shampoo or CO problem anymore.

Edited by Layla
Layla View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Layla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 24 2005 at 3:08pm
CWC with TRESemme and ARTec just now. I used Sebastian Potion 9 and Aloe Vera Gel on my wet hair and braided it in two braids. I love Aloe Vera Gel for my natural hair it brings out all the little waves just like conditioner even after I comb it out which usually wrecks all the waves. It even worked on my frizzy coil at my nape, turning it into a beautiful little coil.
Layla View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Layla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 20 2005 at 2:01pm
Hairstyle of the day: 2 cornrows.
Shampooed for the first time in 19 days. My scalp feels so lovely and fresh. I followed it up with KPAK and Heavy Cream since I'm out of ARTec and was in need of a deep treatment. I didn't use any heat though. My cousin came to visit for winter vacation and brought me some new shampoo and conditioner. I asked her to bring Regis cherry almond shampoo and olive oil conditioner. I haven't tried it yet. I put Potion 9 on my towel-dried hair. I love how slippery it feels when I put it on but it dries kinda clumpy and crunchy.
Layla View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Layla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 27 2005 at 4:14pm
I'm sitting here with olive oil on my hair and shea butter on my ends about to go wash my hair. I plan to use Aloe Vera Gel as a leave-in and put my hair in 2 twists. They probably won't stay or look right but it'll keep my hair neat to dry. I was planning to CWC but I might just let this oil replace the first C. I was planning to BC for my birthday on Friday but my mom said that the salons will all be busy for New Years. So I might do it in a few weeks instead. I finally found some hairsticks but my hair is now too short to use them. I didn't buy them but they were pretty and spirally and only $10. 
Layla View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Layla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 28 2005 at 8:26pm
Lovely Curly Roots
My roots seem to like the new Regis Olive Oil conditioner. They are all wonderful and wavy. I remember when I used to have that one frizzy undefined spot smack in the center. So glad I'm over that stage. My mom dyed her hair last week. I used a little bit on the tassels of my cornrows. You can't really notice it now that I've washed it. I think it just looks like my natural highlights so it just blends in with my hair. The color was feisty pumpkin a light spicy brown.
Layla View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Layla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2006 at 4:30pm
Tuesday Evening
I'm doing Psychology homework. I'm really behind in it  and I took a test today so I'm reading the next chapter. The topics are: What is Consciousness?, Circadian Rhythms, Sleep, Altering Consciousness through Concentration and Suggestion, and Altered States of Consciousness and Psychoactive Drugs. It's a pretty interesting subject but I always put off starting it. It's 6:41 p.m. My mom says I should do homework.

On a hair related note. I wore the headband my little sisters sent me for my birthday. It'll look great once I do the BC. They got me two headbands. A tan one with black and gold embroidered designs and a bright green sequined one. I washed my hair yesterday with ARTec poo and Heavy Cream. My hair was so tangled I couldn't detangle it. The weird thing is the roots are easy to comb out and the ends are easy but where they meet is awful. It's usually much easier to comb out. I don't know what I'm doing different or wrong.

Edited by Layla
Layla View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Layla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2006 at 11:16am
I just detangled my hair and put it in two braids. I put the shea concoction on the braid tassels. New ingredients added: olive oil, aloe vera gel, and honey. I plan to wash my hair tonight. Then I'll ask my mom if she can take me to get my relaxed hair cut off either tomorrow or Monday or soon after that. For once my relaxed hair is behaving good and my natural hair is what's hard to comb. Maybe my relaxed hair likes only shampooing in the shower but my natural hair needs the moisture of conditioning. Or maybe it's just because I didn't detangle in the shower last time I washed my hair. 
Layla View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Layla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2006 at 3:00pm

I think I'm going back to my old routine of washing every four days. I had switched to every three days but I usually forget and end up watching every four days anyway. I would actually plan to wash on the third day but I'd oil overnight instead.

I plan to wash with diluted shampoo, do a protein treatment, and let my hair air dry since I flat ironed it. It's kind of weird taking care of my relaxed hair that I plan to cut off in a couple of days. But I can't be mean to it.

Edited by Layla
Layla View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Layla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2006 at 11:32am
Measurements:
September 2005: 20-1/2" Front Hairline: 11"
November 2005: 21-3/4"
December 2005: Cut 3-1/2". 18-1/2"
January 2006: 20-1/2"

Hair Products I'm currently using:
Olive Oil
ARTec textureline smoothing shampoo (diluted)
Joico KPak
Redken Heavy Cream
Paul Mitchell The Conditioner
Kids Organics Shea Butter Detangler
Elasta QP Mango Butter
Moisture Max Setting Lotion
Matrix Sleek.Look hairspray

Goals:
Natural hair
Layla View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Layla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2006 at 2:27pm
I met my goal! Last night I cut all of my relaxed hair off. I love my new short hair. My mom did most of it for me with clarifying shampoo (used for the foam) on my hair.
* I followed it up with Regis OO conditioner. I put my naturallycurly products on. Oyin Whipped Pudding and Qhemet Biologics Honeybush Tea. I went to sleep with damp hair. I couldn't sleep because I was so excited about my new hair. In the morning it was flat so I used my spritz and Princess hairdressing to style it with 2 sparkly bobby pins.

I wore my new earrings I bought yesterday, with my birthday giftcard to Rave. Everyone says I look older and more mature. They say I actually look 18 instead of 14 or 15.

I went out and when I came home my hair was flat all over, from the hat I wore under my scarf. I spritzed it again and tried to rearrange it. It didn't work so well. My hair didn't look as good as it did this morning. Frustrated with it, I picked it into an afro and got my mom to even it up for me and cut off some more straight ends.
This evening it was feeling dry so I sprayed some Infusium and oil sheen spray on it and got my mom to brush it for me.

*For using a clarifying shampoo and having it left on for almost an hour my hair was surprisingly soft and moist.

---------------------------------------------------
List of stuff I've used on my fro so far:
Regis OO cond
Oyin Whipped Pudding
Qhemet Biologics Honeybush Hair Tea gel
Ebene hairdressing creme
spritz
Infusium
oil sheen spray

Edited by Layla
Layla View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Layla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2006 at 8:18am
February 10: Rinsed out my hair, applied shea butter, finger coils with Redken Ringlet. I loved my finger coils and kept them in for two days. It looked like I had a pixie cut.
February 12: Undid the coils and had a corkscrew afro with my sparkly green birthday headband. I went to a plant talk thing. I learned how to make shampoo out of hibiscus flowers.
Today: I'm about to try my hibiscus shampoo.
Layla View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Layla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2006 at 12:43pm
February 13: Applied Oyin Whipped Pudding and Fantasia IC gel. Wore a headband. It came out good. I think I put too much gel on the front though but that was good becuase it still was perfect for 2nd day hair and it wasn't as crunchy anymore. I still have annoying straight bits in the back that I can't see. I have to ask my mom to get them but she doesn't have time.
February 14: Put a dollop of Whipped Pudding in my palm and added water to make it easy to spread and refresh my wash n go style.
Today:
Same as yesterday. Switched to a double headband today. Before going out I used my shea concoction and water to fix my hair.
Layla View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Layla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2006 at 4:01pm
I haven't shampooed my hair in a while. My mom used wonder 8 oil with paraffinum liquidum on my hair when she cornrowed it. I really plan to clarify and use my Jessicurl WDT in a couple of days so today I'll just CO as usual. I plan to do bantu knots after washing.
Hair Type: 3c-4aNiii

Edited by Layla
Layla View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Layla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2006 at 11:47am
Today's Plan: CWC with V05, HE Purifying poo, and Jessicurls WDT.
I did my first ponytail the day before yesterday. Well half ponytail. I did bantu knots only on the front half of my head because I didn't want to sleep on them in the back. I put the rest of my hair in a ponytail.

Edited by Layla
Layla View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Layla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2006 at 7:19am
I did Jessicurl WDT but I didn't really notice a difference. Maybe I didn't use enough because the jar is so tiny and I paid so much for it. But my hair felt the same as if I did a normal wash. Maybe it was because I clarified first and dried out my hair so much.
I think I'll do a deep oiling with olive oil while I go out to a museum to see if that helps any.
Today's Style Plan: flat twists in the front

I am really bad at actually sticking to a routine and I think it's starting to show in my hair. So here is my routine:
Every 2-7 days:
1. Pre-treatment of olive oil the morning of my wash day. 20 minutes before getting in the shower apply conditioner.
2. Wash scalp with diluted ARTec shampoo (I can't believe I still have this stuff*) . Rinse.
3. Condition with Regis OO.
4. Rinse, leave a little in.
5. I've been using Infusium as a leave-in but I don't think it's moisturizing enough. Instead I'll use Jessicurl Aloeba.
6. Usually when I wash n go I use gel. I'd like to see what my hair looks like without gel so I'm only going to use a teensy bit mixed with water in my hand.
7. style

*I think I should stop buying big bottles of shampoo at the same time as conditioner. I hardly use the shampoo. I should just buy a normal sized bottle of shampoo and the big conditioner. I'm halfway through my Regis Olive Oil conditioner already.

Edited by Layla
Layla View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Layla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 02 2006 at 7:35pm
So far I am doing my routine. This will be my second time doing it. I am currently sitting here with olive oil on the back portion of my hair. It is 8:27 PM. Ten minutes later. I'm cutting the olive oil part down because it's getting late. I will continue with the shampoo routine experiment. If my hair starts to get dried out, I will just trash the idea. 8:34 PM
Today's style: braids. I haven't wore braids since before I relaxed my hair. I had some big sleeping braids in about a week ago but not braids as a style. I may be lazy and just do sleeping braids again. 8:30 PM
Layla View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Layla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2006 at 9:20am
April 9: Sleeping braids.
April 12: braid out
Today: I woke up and put shea butter instead of olive oil on my hair and ate breakfast. I'm about to wash it, deep condition it, aloeba, and pull it back with a headband/scarf. I've been good about doing my wash routine.
Layla View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Layla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2006 at 11:33am
I'm about to wash my hair after going to the beach. I'm pre-pooing w/Suave Aloe cond. I'm going to CO with Regis OO & Jessicurl WDT(leave some in). No special style today just headband. I'm going to try out my new moisturizer that is chock full of bad ingredients. Maybe my hair likes bad ingredients.  
Layla View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Layla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2006 at 1:52pm
Hello, I usually only CO once a week not because I don't like it or anything but because I'm afraid of wasting water. Since I'm going on vacation I figure I can use a little extra water and CO today and shampoo tomorrow. I think I actually like my new KeraCare moisturizer. It makes my hair look good and feel soft. The only thing is I don't get those cute little curls on the end and my hair looks a bit greasy. I totally forgot to mention that I got my hair trimmed on Thursday(I think). I don't think she evened it up but I'm glad to be rid of those damaged ends. My hair looks a lot better now. But I'm a little worried about build-up so I'll skip it today and just use Elasta QP Mango Butter and just wear it out parted down the middle. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic