Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

TIPPING YOUR STYLIST

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
always_alone View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote always_alone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 22 2005 at 4:53pm
Man, now I feel cheap. I always tip just a little bit. I always go to the same stylist because I have always gone to her. I give her only a little tip. She never expects a tip from me though. Last time I went in there, it came to like 26$ and I just handed her 30$. I just get a cut. That's it. No color or highlights...just a cut that takes about 30 minutes.

Edited by always_alone
Elizabeth
2b/M/ii
pixie/20"/waist
KellyH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KellyH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 22 2005 at 6:39pm
$4 is plenty, in that case imho! I wouldn't sweat it. That's no more than I would tip a foodserver.
HairDoozie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HairDoozie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 24 2005 at 8:43am

Dear Always,

Believe me, stylists always expect a tip.  But $4.00 on a $26.00 haircut is good.  $5.00 would be 20%...so you are good.  15%-20% is the average tip today for servers, hairstylists and the like.  So don't feel bad. Ya did good.

And at restaurants if they have a certain amount of people at a table, the menu even states that a gratuity of 18% is automatically added!

HairDoozie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HairDoozie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 24 2005 at 8:54am

By the way, if anyone ever has a difficult time figuring out the 15% and 20%....here is an easy way to figure a tip.

Let's say the bill is: $87.00      Move the "." over one space to the left.  $8.70 (dropping the last 0).  That is 10% of $87.00.  Moving the "." over one space to the left is ALWAYS 10% of that amount!  So, if you wanted to make it 15%, all you would have to do is add half of $8.70 (that would be $4.35) to  $8.70...making 15% of $87.00 =  $13.05.  Of course you would drop the 5 cents.  And to make it 20% just double the $8.70.  That would be $17.40.

Hope that helps all you folks out there who are afraid to say you couldn't figure out percentages! It's a really easy way to do. Especially if you are out at a restaurant and you don't want to whip out pen/paper/ or calculator!

snoopval View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snoopval Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 03 2005 at 7:23am
Hairdoozie- cute name by the way:)  I especially can feel your pain lol because i am a hairdresser.  However i think that you are looking at things the wrong way and playing the game wrong.  Tips are nice, but they are just extra.  They shouldn't be expected or counted on, they should be something that if you get it great, if not, it doesn't hurt you.  And i know that we work very hard in this bussiness, and i know all about commission, and that fifty percent commission is very generous, they couldn't pay you more than that or they would lose money.  However instead of being concerned about the tips, why don't you charge a little more.  Why don't you do things to get more clientelle?  Not to be rude, i don't know how you dress, but in the hair bussiness, at least in the States, we try to dress for the job or income we want to have.  If you dress like you have a lot of money, clients and potential clients are going to think you are well paid, and they are going to come see you. How is your consultation with your clients, consultation is everything.  Have you thought about getting an assistant so you can do more things, pamper your clients more, and get more clients int, equalling more money.  Also i'm sorry but in my experiance the more you charge, the more people will actually tip.  I guess maybe pshcologically they feel that it is a better service since it's more money.  Carry yourself like a professional, don't chatter so much about non related stuff, really talk about there hair, and what products that would be good for there hair.  I assume you get some money off of retail.  Good luck.  I know this is a frustrating job, but like the second poster pointed out, no one is compensated enough for there jobs, it's a fact of life, we work very hard nowadays, and were at work sometimes more than we are with our families.
snoopval View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snoopval Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 03 2005 at 7:28am
Sorry i hate double posting but i did not previously see this.  Please under any circumstances, do not put anything about tipping on your bussiness cards. That is horribly tacky, however giving your bussiness cards to everyone and anyone is not.   You leave a tip at the restaraunt, put a bussiness card with it, if you are paying a bill, sneak a couple cards in.  When you go shopping, and your not at work, make sure you look immaculate, trust me you will get complements, casually mention what you do and give them your card.  When your at a party, give them your cards.  Carry them with you at all times, and always be prepared to give them out.
brunette7 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brunette7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2006 at 10:20pm
Hello!

I've enjoyed reading these comments. Here is my question on tipping: What do you tip all the other people? The person who shampoos your hair? The colorist? The stylist? Do you always tip 15% and up of the bill? When the bill gets up to $270, you save and save to get your hair styled, blow-dry, colored, etc. Then you have a person who shampoos, one who rinses, one who colors, one who hilites, one who styles, one who blow-drys. The owners have signs up that they don't get tips. Just wondering your thoughts...what do you do with all those people working on your hair especially when they don't charge themselves for their services?
Claude View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2006 at 10:19pm

The average income for a hairstylist is pathetic! It's poverty level for your average american. As a hairstylist I can tell you that they are underpaid.

Hairstyling is a craft and when you become good within your craft you are worth far more than you are ever paid. It's really under appreciated at how much effort a hairstylist puts into a service to provide that professional salon style that everyone wants to walk out of the salon looking like. Yep we are underpaid BIG TIME there is no ifs, ands or buts about it. To compare it to being waitress is an insult and tipping 15-20% is an insult. First off in restaurants your being served food that is far more expensive than a haircut. A $50 food bill for 2 people and your tipping $7-$10 to a waitress....basically someone who just brings you food. Your hairstylist provides you with the look, the confidence and the beauty to be who you are....tipping them $3-4 on a $20 haircut IMHO is an insult. Reach in your pocket and throw them double that if you like their work and they did a great job.....I know I personally do everything I can for that client sitting in my chair to make them look and feel the best they can be. Think about it next time your getting your haircut because they hairstylists and hairstyling are under appreciated in this business. We are not just people bringing your food tossed up onto a counter by a short order cook.

Think about it next time before you tip your stylist. 25-30% is more like it if you are happy with your stylist.

Cheers! 

Edited by Claude
brunette7 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brunette7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2006 at 8:59am
I'm still curious about what to tip all the other people, the colorist, the shampooer, the hairstylist. Last time my bill for hair, color, and highlight was about $380. That is a lot to me and it is hard to come up with a tip, especially if you are tipping everyone a 15% of the $380.

I find it hard to believe that stylist are at the poverty level. The ones I know live in $500000 houses and are master-stylists with master's level college degrees. Poverty? If I was only that lucky! But then I would never go to anyone who was "cheap" to get a haircut, as you just don't get the same effect.

Let me ask again....what do you tip all the other people, besides the hairstylist?
Claude View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2006 at 9:15am

Usually the person who shampoos your hair is an assistant to the stylists and typically they are paid a small portion by every stylist who they assist by shampooing their clients and getting them draped and ready for the service by the stylist. Colorists & hairstylists tip them 20-25% for a service.

Some stylists who have built up a large clientel can make over $100k per year but that is a very small percentage of people who persevere years in the business. The average stylist makes $20k per year.

brunette7 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brunette7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2006 at 9:21am
If that is true, that the stylist gives the shampooer a portion, then why do the seem to always expect a tip?

The colorists and hairstylists get 20-25% of the total? What about the highlight person?

What about the owners? Some tip them, some do not.
snoopval View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snoopval Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2006 at 2:09pm
Ok first off, personally I am a hairstylist and I don't think people should have to tip, true we may do more than a waitress but that is why we are getting the price of our service.  Second off though brunette7 it sounds from the way you talk that you go to more exclusive salons, and yes the average hairstylist does not make alot of money at all at least starting out.  I can tell you, now I live in a smaller area, but I got paid around 150 every other week, now I'm fairly young and I don't have kids to feed and all that, but you do the math at 150 twice a month, and yes you can understand why around poverty level isn't as insane as it sounds.  Now onto your question, there are a couple ways of doing this when you go to a more afluent salon.  First off some exclusive salons do not require tips, and at some salons if you see the owner, you don't tip him, however if you want to tip your stylist and all the people that help you, you can A-simply give the money to them, after you are done with your shampoo, hand the lady/guy the money,etcetera, this could get confusing so what you can do that is the eaziest, is give the master stylist the money and ask her or him if they could divvy it up to all the other people that helped you in the salon that day.  If the shampooer looks at you odd (then one, they are rude) and two you could politely tell them,  "Oh I'm giving the tip to the stylist, receptionist and they are going to divvy it up from there, because I'm paying by check, or I don't have my money with me."  Lie if you want.
bornpisces View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bornpisces Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2006 at 1:10pm
I see no one has posted a reply on this topic in awhile. I found very interesting to read how decidedly different the views are on this subject. One thing is obvious though, those in the biz tip and those not are confused even if they do tip. There was a post from one hairdresser who wrote that she found it disturbing people tend to tip servers more than their stylist. People who just 'serve' them food. This really caught me off guard. It seems we all may be very confused. Why don't we just settle this and tip 20% everytime. I know from experience that your tip can make or break us. I believe there are skills we possess both as servers and stylists that the public have a need for and with out us, there would be a lot of bad hair days and a whole lot more mcdonalds. In some parts of Europe, tipping a server is not allowed. Do you know why? These people go to schools and colleges to learn these skills etc.. and guess what...they have already included the mandetory tip right in your bill. Tipping is not optional. I am not sure what a Stylist makes per hour/year, but servers don't make anything, literally. Two dollars and thirteen cents an hour. It barely pays our taxes, which means a zero paycheck or worse. Don't want to tip? I suggest you go and get a good pair of scissors and a frequent flier card for mcdonalds.

Claude View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2006 at 9:19pm
Originally posted by bornpisces bornpisces wrote:

I am not sure what a Stylist makes per hour/year, but servers don't make anything, literally. Two dollars and thirteen cents an hour. It barely pays our taxes, which means a zero paycheck or worse. Don't want to tip? I suggest you go and get a good pair of scissors and a frequent flier card for mcdonalds.

Stylists typically are paid by the haircut and not paid an hourly wage. Corporations like Regis, Mastercuts, Fantastic Sams, etc pay their stylists $7 per hour in many instances however the industry is still predominantly an independant business model.

Unless you are an established booth renter who has a clientel and pays $100 - $150 per week to booth rent your mall stylists don't make much at all.

I know many salons where the pay is straight 50/50 that means the salon gets 50% and so does the stylist so lets say a haircut is $15.....the salon gets $7.50 the stylist gets $7.50 + tip if the client tips. It typically takes 30-45 minutes to cut and style a womens hair and if it's below shoulder length it's more like 45 minutes and possibly more.

Not to mention the stylist has to supply all their styling products, mousses, gels, leave in conditioners, hairspray, curling cream, etc and this is a costly expense and not something a stylist can charge a client for. That stuff gets expensive when you are buying it yourself so you when you take all that into consideration a HairStylist is not overpaid by any means. At least waitresses get an hourly wage. Most stylists get 50% commission and then it's taxed on top of it and plus you need to buy your own products.

I don't know any waitresses who need to supply their own materials for their jobs?

Bottom Line is a HairStylist is a very under appreciated craft and little respect is given to stylists because in the back of many people's minds they think oh they are doing hair because they can't do anything else or anyone can cut hair.

It's not appreciated like it should be....we are the creators and designers of a person's personal image....so tip your hairstylist and tip us well because it's not like we just show up for work and collect a paycheck. We really work our butts off for it to make ya'all look and feel your best!

Cheers!
julesyjul88 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote julesyjul88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 04 2006 at 3:36am
 I do my hair at home...but the  times I DO go to a salon,I do tip very well unless the stylist isnt listening to me and does something I dont like.
I have to say though,most people dont consider hair a nessecity and maybe that's why they dont tip much. Sure,if you're rich and you have it,but most people arent rich and think hair is just "extra". 
That's kinda why I do my hair at home.Then if I want something special I save up and go to a salon. But if I was paying alot every month like just for having roots dyed,I couldnt afford a big tip as well.
I actually thought about doing this as a job too.I DO agree hair stylists dont get paid enough.They dont even have insurance like most jobs offer (even Mcdonald's) and it costs alot paying for it yourself out of of pocket.
But really what can be done about it? You dont NEED a good haircut and coloring~it's usually something people do to feel better and not because they will die without it. (and this is NOT my attitude,but I know alot people who think this way.Well,it's JUST hair so I shouldnt have to pay that much kind of deal)
My question is,do they get commision on the products they sell you? There have been times when I'd have tipped alot more,but after I bought the expensive products they kinda pushed on me I couldnt.
The ONLY times I have ever NOT tipped good though is as I said when I have had bad service. I can never seem to find a stylist that listens to me,they always seem to want to go off and do whatever. A good stylist is hard to find,and if you find a good one~tip them good!
gsxxy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gsxxy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 21 2007 at 8:36pm
wow i guess my hairstylist LOVES me then..

my cut is 40 bucks.. i usually just get it washed, trimmed, and he drys it (which takes forever!) and he gets $20 bucks. every time. no question.. i take care of him... he takes care of my hair :) that's how i see it...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic