Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

TIPPING YOUR STYLIST

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
HairDoozie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HairDoozie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: TIPPING YOUR STYLIST
    Posted: October 23 2005 at 8:14pm

Hello All:

If anyone has any suggestions, it would really help!

I am a hairstylist, who gets very frustrated  with my cheap clients!! I know they love me, and love my work. Because they have been with me a long time. It's very odd, because, the ones that are the cheapest are the ones who followed me to the salon I am at now. I was at another salon, owned by family member.

Here's the deal...It doesn't matter what their bill comes to, they always tip me the same $5.00 tip!!! Yes, I wrote that correctly...FIVE DOLLARS!!! 5 NEW JERSEY DOLLARS!!  Worst part, I have a mother daughter duo, and they do the same thing. Just this past weekend. Foils and haircuts. Mother's bill was $120.00 and the daughter's bill was $140.00 and they both tipped me the same five bucks.

And it's really wierd, because there really isn't any way to approach this subject. I don't have the guts to do stuff like: "oh this will get me far" etc...I'm not like that.

So, if anyone can help....please do!

Doozie

phil View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 24 2005 at 8:55am
Aargh - don't get me started...  
I know hair stylists, bar workers etc work for low wages. So do I, for the government (lowest end of the pay scale) and guess what, I haven't received a penny tip in all of 27 years!
Don't get me wrong, it's not your fault, I just fail to understand how some badly paid jobs should attract tips and not others.
Actually I do know why, it's so that some employers can pay rubbish wages by shaming the public into subsidising them. Maybe your best bet is to ask your old Scrooge for a raise?
phil

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HairDoozie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 24 2005 at 11:02am

Well, asking my boss for a raise is out of the question.  In this field, it doesn't happen.  I work strictly on commission. Which is only 50%. And, that WILL NEVER GO UP. The only time we get a raise, is when the prices go up for the client.  And then, "cheapy clients" STILL will tip the cheap tip they always have been!!! I live off my tips. I buy my gas, grocerys, pet supplies, etc.  My pay check goes right into the bank to pay for my house bills.  And being a single working woman it is difficult.

I was just hoping there was some common and kind way of letting the client know.  Posting a sign is tacky.  A friend of mine suggested this:  Make some new business cards.  And, on the back, put a little note about tipping.  And, give them to these clients.  He feels they are ignorant and not knowing of tipping etiquette.  

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HairDoozie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 24 2005 at 11:07am

Hey Phil,

By the way, there are just some jobs you don't have to tip the person.  Hmm, must be different in the United Kingdom.

Let's see, we tip: Pizza delivery/hairstylists/

bartenders/waiters/mailman(at holidays)/ newspaper delivery person/ car parking for valet/ dog groomer/.........and the list will go on. I can't think of others at this moment.

DaveDecker View Drop Down
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveDecker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 24 2005 at 7:34pm
Some thoughts...

$120 - $140 is a LOT of money to spend on hair.  These people, your "cheap clients," have the same personal budgetary concerns as you do.  They have to pay for their basic living expenses -- rent/mortage, taxes, utilities, food, gas, clothes, etc, etc... -- and have $120 - $140 "leftover" for hair services?  Maybe tipping more than $5 is just not within their budget.

As you have no control over the base rate (at your current salon), nor over the amount your customers tip, I suggest that you do one of 2 things:  (1) accept that what you are making is what you will continue to make (i.e., don't expect more), or (2) find another salon where you can make more, either through a high percentage commission, a higher base rate, or more customers.  You could always moonlight (hairstylist or otherwise).

In my personal opinion, putting anything about tipping on your business card is extremely tacky... worse even than the slight you feel for getting tips of only $5 from your "cheap clients."

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HairDoozie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 24 2005 at 9:14pm

Yeah, I thought posting any kind of note would be tacky no matter what. Thanks for saying so.

I just believe, that if one can afford to pay the prices at our salon, then they should be able to afford the tip, or go somewhere else. Plus, I know for a fact that one of them most certainly can afford it. I know they are very well off. I am sure if they went into a restaurant that was pricey, they would put out more.  As a matter of fact, listen to this.

One time when this one particular client came in, as I was doing her hair, I brought up conversation about something that had just happened to me the night before.  I had been to a restaurant, and the service was so bad, (after almost 2 hour wait for the food), that I declined tipping. That was a first for me. I was extremely angry with the service. Well, I told the client about this, bringing up the fact that I 'always' tip 15-20%. She whole heartidly (spelling?) agreeded with me. Telling me that she always leaves the same, and her daughter too, being that she used to work as a waitress! And, alas, still the wonderful 5 dollars.

Oh well.

Yes, I am looking for another salon in the area where I live. It would be a whole lot closer. But, I will have to do it slowly. Meaning, find a salon where I can work p/t 2 days a week building a new clientele. And, little by little pull out of the place I am at now. Because all my clients are 30 minutes north of where I work. So, they will not follow. Have to start over.

Thanks Dave.

KellyH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KellyH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 24 2005 at 11:09pm
I generally tip 15-20% for all services whether it be my Stylist or Foodserver/Bartender. Most of the time more. I just had lowlights done and it was $70. I tipped her $15 and I wasn't even completely happy with the color she chose. I think my understanding comes from 5 years in the foodservice industry.
buzzedboblover View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote buzzedboblover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2005 at 12:50pm

Hmmm, It's up to the individual what they tip and if you try to push it people will go elsewhere as you will appear forward and greedy. There are as another poster said, a lot of people in low paid jobs with no chance of tips so you should be grateful that you get anything at all above your agreed salary or percentage. I'm sorry to be so blunt but You chose the salon/ job you are in so I'm afraid you will either have to :

put up and shut up

find a new salon to work in with a better percentage or other payment sheme

work more hours as you say you only do 2 days a week

find a new career with a better wage

I'm afraid any that's just the way it is for lots of people besides you, If you try to draw clients attention to the way you feel, they will be offended and you will lose out even more. Maybe not the answer you were looking for but I hope it helps you to get a little perspective on your situation.

Edited by buzzedboblover

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HairDoozie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2005 at 3:46pm

Hey, I appreciate all answers. Ya miss read what I wrote. I don't work 2 days a week. Go back and read again.  I am planning on looking for a p/t job at a salon nearer to where I work. I currently work 5 days.  But, am willing to cut down one day, and work that day plus another making it 6 days a week!!  I am tired of traveling to the area I currently work.

Well, yeh, I guess there really isn't any way to let people know what the etiquette for tipping is, with out it being tacky.  Guess I'll just have to suck it up.

In this business, in my state, seems it works the same (pay wise) almost everywhere you go.

Kelly: Well, I am sure you can talk to your stylist about altering the shade next time.  But overall, you like her and are basically happy with her.  Just like when a bartender makes a drink, it may not taste exactly the same as the one before.  Bad comparision...but, what I am trying to say is, work with her. If you go to her regularly, she will kindly help by fixing it.  I always do.  Communication is the key.

KellyH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KellyH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2005 at 4:11pm

Originally posted by HairDoozie HairDoozie wrote:

Kelly: Well, I am sure you can talk to your stylist about altering the shade next time.  But overall, you like her and are basically happy with her.  Just like when a bartender makes a drink, it may not taste exactly the same as the one before.  Bad comparision...but, what I am trying to say is, work with her. If you go to her regularly, she will kindly help by fixing it.  I always do.  Communication is the key.

Absolutely! I'll go back. I like her! I'd never been to her before and she heard all I'd done to my hair and made an educated guess......it looked good, but not for me. You can read about it here: http://www.hairboutique.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=36538& amp;PN=1

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HairDoozie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2005 at 6:01pm

Well Kelly,

One thing you need to understand.  This was your first time to her.  You had to tell her your hair history.  I am sure, that there were a lot of things done to your hair?  If so, was this a color correction?  I didn't read your original post.  I will after this. So, if she was trying to correct your color, here's what most don't realize.  It may take more than one time to get it to where you desire it.  Sometimes it doesn't always happen in one visit.  Especially, if all the time consulting was used up, and now she has only limited time.  Right.

You can always go lighter with the color!!

KellyH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KellyH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2005 at 7:45pm
Yes, it was a color correction of sorts. She didn't charge me that because all she did was put chestnut lowlights in my hair. I had very light golden blonde growth at the scalp of about 2 inches and very light ash blonde with a mauvy tinge the rest of the length to the ends (a couple of inches shy of bsl).
buzzedboblover View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote buzzedboblover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 26 2005 at 1:02pm
Have you considered opening your own salon, perhaps with someone backing you, maybe a family member or a good friend. Check and see if their is any state funding available in your home area for starting up a business. Just an afterthought, hope it helps.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HairDoozie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 26 2005 at 5:26pm

Business owner is not for me.  I know that for sure.  Thanks

Sunsailing View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sunsailing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 27 2005 at 10:16pm

I don't know what to tell you. Tipping in your industry is a significant part of your income.

I always tip my stylist about 20%. If you can tip a waiter that much, then why not your stylist? I wear my hair everyday, so I'll tip well for good service!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HairDoozie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2005 at 3:54pm

Exactly!! Thanks Sun...just wish I could relay that to those specific clients.  Oh well.

Thanks for being a great client.

Rocky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rocky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 02 2005 at 11:43am

Clients tips are supposed to be based on good service.  Are you doing everything you should be?  Failing that, there is nothing you can say or do to get your clients to tip more.  Any attempt to do so will blow up in your face. Don't even bring it up...  It's more appropriate for the salon owner to post a sign in a common area of the salon regarding tipping.  Don't post anything at your station.

If your book is full and you want to make more money without working yourself into an early grave, raise your rates.  Speak to the salon owner about a commission change based on higher rates.  If he/she is unwilling to make changes, it may be time to look for a new salon who will.  When/if you change salons, send postcards only to your best clients and leave the cheapskates behind.

Tally View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tally Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 10 2005 at 8:56am
I tip my stylist the same as waitstaff, which is 15% for acceptable service and 25% for great service.
DaveDecker View Drop Down
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveDecker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 13 2005 at 6:36pm
I will add to my original post here...  in general I believe it is appropriate to be aware of and considerate of generally accepted tipping habits, and to select salons and services based on ones total budget which should leave sufficient room for a reasonable tip.  A wordy way of saying "don't agree to a $140 service if your budget cannot go beyond $145."
fluffmitten View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fluffmitten Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 18 2005 at 6:48pm

In the UK it's different, I think, because our hairdressers get paid enough that tips aren't essential to live off. Correct me if I'm wrong here by the way!

I moved from England to Scotland and I think the tipping culture is different between the two because I tip what I always have (10% for average service, more for great, and rounded up if it's an awkward number) and people here are like "wow, thanks!", lol. It doesn't mean I'm going to start tipping less though

The funny thing is, last time I tipped under 10%, which I don't like to do, but the cut was more than I usually spend, and my stylist seemed genuinely pleased - poor guy must usually get rubbish tips

But normally I think that if I can't afford an appropriate tip then I won't go at all. I'd hate to look mean!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic