Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Height and hair length

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
kengibson2001 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kengibson2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 26 2004 at 2:55am
I feel it is none of those nosy women's buisness to tell women how their hair should be. My mother's hair use to be waist length, but she cut it to shoulder length. Then her friends wanted her to get her haircut, guess what they butchered her hair. When I use to get haircuts, I had a better hair cut then she did. She is now short in the front, sides, and back and now looks like an old lady. Those people who claim women over 60 shouldn''t have longhair, just want to make those women appear very old.

If she wants to cut it for herself, nothing wrong with that.

Ever since I have taken up the idea I shouldn't change my appearence(longhair) for anyone, I have never been better off spiritually. This is the wisdom I tried to pass on to my mother before she got her haircut, who knows maybe she will listen. She changes religions faster than crap, so who knows.
korsakovhatt3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote korsakovhatt3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 26 2004 at 3:12am
Hi Ken. I posted a message earlier this evening on a similar topic. Around here, it seems that all women head to the salon on their 55th birthday and get what I call the "Irish Mammy" -- short, tightly permed hair. It instantly ages them at least ten years. They all look like they're members of the same "old lady" cult and most of them aren't old enough to be looking like old ladies.

My mother is bucking the trend. She's 61, looks fabulous, and still has beautiful long hair. I think it's an outward expression of her youthful, independent spirit. I intend to do the same in my later years.
My user name is WAY too long. Just call me Juliana. :-)
Grace912 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grace912 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 26 2004 at 8:44am
Hey, haven't posted here in a while! I'm kind of on the short side myself (I say I'm 5'4" when I'm rounding up and lying through my teeth). Has that ever influenced my tonsorial decisions? You guessed it, no! It's been said in many magazines that only tall women can pull off long, curly hair; well, I've been pulling the look off brilliantly since I was a child and therefore even smaller! And on a side note, I wore a white shirt yesterday and fully plan on wearing one today. And it is well past Labor Day
Monica: Isn't there any way that you could look at this as flattering? I mean, she's doing this to be more like you.
Rachel: Well, then, couldn't she have just copied my haircut?
kengibson2001 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kengibson2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 26 2004 at 3:56pm
Originally posted by Grace912 Grace912 wrote:

Hey, haven''t posted here in a while! I''m kind of on the short side myself (I say I''m 5''4" when I''m rounding up and lying through my teeth). Has that ever influenced my tonsorial decisions? You guessed it, no! It''s been said in many magazines that only tall women can pull off long, curly hair; well, I''ve been pulling the look off brilliantly since I was a child and therefore even smaller! And on a side note, I wore a white shirt yesterday and fully plan on wearing one today. And it is well past Labor Day

Well my friends tried to talk me out of growing long hair, saying only strong buff men can have long hair. Otherwise you look feminine. I was like lol. My hair is almost 6 inches now, and I have never had anyone mistake me for a woman. Let me see I weigh 140 lbs, 5'8". Just way too addicted to running 3 miles a day.
DaveDecker View Drop Down
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveDecker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 31 2004 at 12:35pm
Welcome back Grace912! We've missed your posting. More power to you on your sartorial (and hair) style. From your self-description I think I like your look.

And Ken... the only strength that men (or women, for that matter) need for long hair is strength of will.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote korsakovhatt3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 31 2004 at 4:45pm
When I was a child, my mother wouldn't let me get a hair cut, so I was desperate for short hair. (When she was little her mother wouldn't let her grow her hair long.) I actually ended up cutting my hair short when I was in 7th grade. I regretted it and couldn't wait for it to grow back. I've worn it long ever since. I guess my point is that no one likes to be told how to wear their hair. It's an expression of our individuality and a decision we need to make for ourselves.
Grace912 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grace912 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 01 2004 at 9:04am
Thanks for the compliment, Dave! High praise coming from you, I'm honored.

And it is about individuality, always has been for me, anyway. Around my junior year of high school, Vogue/Anna Wintour very famously stated that "the bob is back." To which I replied, "When did it actually go away?" because the preppy girls at my school had always worn them. Could not tell that crowd apart from the back.
Monica: Isn't there any way that you could look at this as flattering? I mean, she's doing this to be more like you.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote korsakovhatt3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 01 2004 at 12:46pm
Hi Grace912. I was one of those preppy girls in high school -- but the only one without a bob. I used to wonder how they avoided neck strain. All my bobbed friends parted their hair on the side and managed to hold their heads at an angle (so the hair fell across one eye) at all times. It looked like hard, uncomfortable work to me.

By the way, I'm wondering if you and I are around the same age. My junior year of high school was 1986/87 -- the beginning of the end of the preppy phase. By the time I got to university, grunge (for the boys) and the flower child look (for the girls) were in.
Grace912 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grace912 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 01 2004 at 5:36pm
Nope, I am 20 (just a child, I know!). So my junior year was 2000-2001. But as I said, where I grew up, the preppy look never went away the first time, so yeah, when the "preppy revival" became the high-fashion thing, it just didn't much matter there.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote korsakovhatt3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 01 2004 at 8:09pm
Grace, you're just a baby. I guess I lived through the FIRST preppy trend.
Grace912 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grace912 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 01 2004 at 10:03pm
Well, if we can be technical about it, so did I (never mind the fact that I was 3 and therefore not terribly concerned with fashion!)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote korsakovhatt3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 01 2004 at 10:44pm
Ah, you're a clever one.
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveDecker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 03 2004 at 6:29pm
Originally posted by Grace912 Grace912 wrote:

Thanks for the compliment, Dave! High praise coming from you, I'm honored.

Wow, thanks Grace for your really kinds words! I don't know that I'm worthy.
Eowyn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eowyn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 05 2004 at 5:29pm
Man you people with waist length hair!! I admire you!!

I've been told when my hair was like mid-back length that it looked like "too much hair" on me, but Im not sure. Im like 5 foot 7, and I am rather on the thin side, but I thought it looked fine.

I know petite women can look really pretty with long hair.
My avatar pic is Eowyn, the White Lady of Rohan. I *wish* I had hair like her's lol!!
Hair is: 1c (straight with body wave and one or two visible S-waves)/ MF(medium-fine)/ii (normal volume)
Gormlaith View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gormlaith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 05 2004 at 9:22pm
Originally posted by korsakovhatt3 korsakovhatt3 wrote:

I've grown my hair to mid-butt level a couple of times. I love how it looks, but I find it gets in the way. I sit on it or accidentally tuck it into the back of my jeans. I'm constantly aware of it. I always end up getting it cut back to waist length. I find that when it's waist-length, I don't even notice it. Did those of you who have really long hair find it difficult to get used to? Do you usually wear it up? I'm wondering if it bothered me so much because I wear mine down most of the time (and I live in a very windy city).

One thing longer lengths have going for them is that they will stay where placed better than relatively shorter hair. Bringing hair from the back at waist level and placing it across the lap becomes automatic over time and it will stay there pretty well when seated. I wouldn't let the earlier experiences turn a person off more length if that was what they were after.

Gormlaith, gleefully stumpy and long haired
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveDecker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 14 2004 at 3:50pm
Originally posted by Eowyn Eowyn wrote:

Man you people with waist length hair!! I admire you!!

I've been told when my hair was like mid-back length that it looked like "too much hair" on me, but Im not sure. Im like 5 foot 7, and I am rather on the thin side, but I thought it looked fine.

I know petite women can look really pretty with long hair.

Mid-back or longer hair on a slender 5'7" woman? It's all good by me.

(Sending out a special wave to H.R.H. Gormlaith. Hi!)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic