Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Burnt Smell after Straightening

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
*~earthangel*~ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote *~earthangel*~ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Burnt Smell after Straightening
    Posted: November 02 2005 at 8:09am

Hey guys, Im new at this but i have been reading up on all of the post for the past few months and have found it to be really informative. I have been natural for the past three years and was clueless as to how to maintain my natural afro but thanks to this site and your posts I now love my hair as i know have wealth of information on how to care for it. Thanks again you guys

Anyway here is my question: I recently got my hair straightened for the first time since i went natural so that i cud get my ends. Like most of you i too am afraid of stylists so i avoided a trim because of a bad experience years ago. I was surprised at how long my hair was and i was so excited but after the straightening i was left with a burnt smell in my hair that would not go away. I didnt use an antifrizz serum or heat protectant ( I know my badd). Can some one tell me how to prevent this in the future or recommend a nice heat protectant that will leave my hair smelling nice?

My Fotki

[url=http://www.pikistrips.com/clicked/24680082][/ur
BrownEyez2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrownEyez2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 02 2005 at 10:28am
I'd recommend to definitely use a heat protectant next time. Also make sure the heating tool you're using is not too hot as this may burn/scorch the hair and give off that "burnt" smell. Another thing, which I'm sure you know not to do, is to not press/flat iron dirty hair. Be sure it has been freshly washed, apply your heat protectant and you shouldn't get that smell at all. ~hth~
~~LIVE YOUR BEST LIFE!~~
Yolligirl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yolligirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 02 2005 at 11:12am

I agree with Browneyez, you should never flat iron your hair without a heat protectant. If ther is a smell it is because you have probably scorched your hair, your iron was probably too hot. I have used fantasia in the past.

Life is a journey, Enjoy the ride.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote *~earthangel*~ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 02 2005 at 1:42pm
Thanks so much for the tips as a matter of fact i did not know that ur hair should be freshly washed, I know now. Do you think that the type of straightner I used may have played a role? I used one of those hot combs that come with the little stove.
My Fotki

cmesweet View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cmesweet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 02 2005 at 1:52pm

Hi Earthangel,

First welcome. Since you have been reading the post you may know that I'm natural as well. I just wanted to give you some tips on trimming your own hair. If you twists or braid your hair you can trim it that way. Usually what I do is trim off the real thin end of the twist or braid.

Maybe you smell burnt hair because you are not used to smelling it. I had my hair burnt when I was younger and they had to cut a big chunk out. Anyways, I suggest for you not to use a hotcomb in the stove...it gets way to hot. Use a hot comb or flat iron, made of ceramic material where you can control the temperature.

Natural
BC May 9, 2004

Monet001 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Monet001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 02 2005 at 3:26pm

I use a stove hot comb and it does get hot but I one use a press lotion/creme and I wipe it in a towel to cool off some.

I agree though I have a ceramic flat iron and I love it

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote *~earthangel*~ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 02 2005 at 5:04pm
Thanks guys, After reading a lot of the posts on this forum  I have decided to invest in a good quality flat iron but I'm still undecided on which one . I have narrowed it down to either a Sedu or a Solia. Cmesweet, which kind of flat iron do you have?
My Fotki

cmesweet View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cmesweet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 02 2005 at 6:13pm

Umm I don't know I haven't used it in about 2 years lol...I know u plug it up. I think its a golden hot from Sally's. It's in a box right now since I moved back home from school ,I will go search for it while unpacking. I was thinking about using it actually.

Natural
BC May 9, 2004

cookiesnkream View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cookiesnkream Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 02 2005 at 7:43pm

Girl,, be careful,, I went to my moms hairdresser a
few months ago and she left me with a burnt smell
and I was soooo sooo mad, i cant even tell you
becuz it stayed all week till i washed and I noticed a
charred area where the hair was cut off and blonde (
just 3 or 4 hairs,, i was having fantasies of cutting off
her weave and her hair ,, seriously tho ,
i have read that when u burn ur hair u can reap the
consequences months later becuz the hair is
weakened and will gradually break off so NEVER
use a temp where u smell burning and u gotta use
heat protectant too but u can still charr it even with
the protectant if the temp is too high, try moistening a
piece of tissue and placing it between the plates,, if
the tissued charrs in any way its too hot,,(the water
should evaporate and dissapear, no browning) i
dont know if thats a truly accurate test but i've read it
more than once,, and i also think that those stove
irong and things are BAD becuz that was what
charred my hair off that time...... sorry im being so
preachy
Hair type: 3b some c?, fine strands, last relaxer sept 05, never again!!! current :ap length on sides,,nearly bsl in back, damn those old frazzled ends! I am hair OBSESSED   

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote *~earthangel*~ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 03 2005 at 7:43am
Now that you mention it i did notice that a small section of my hair has turned a dark blonde color while the rest of my hair is jet black. But Im gonna chalk this on e up to experience. Im not gonna take anymore chances with my hair.
My Fotki

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic