Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

people treat you differently now?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Sugaree View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugaree Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2005 at 7:39am
Happy Birthday Missrini
Don't let the man get you down ~ me

1c MC iii Dark Brown, 22" Goal: Waist
missrini View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote missrini Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2005 at 4:34am

Hmm....Fran I'm not really sure what to say here. I agree with most of what you have said and I think you are an intelligent well-spoken/written lady, however.......

I was married at 21 too, and am now 33 (today actually!) so I've spent my entire adult life as a non-single (also counting the years before I was married and just dating my now husband).  I have always taken pride in my appearance and I like to look pretty/sexy when I am out with or without my husband. It just makes ME feel good and I am happy and comfortable when I know my hair/outfit/makeup are looking good.  I am not at all interested in being with any other men, however I DO seem to attract some interest and I am always flattered when I receive attention from other men (and women).  This is understandable isn't it? I mean most people feel good when they are complimented (be it on physical attributes or on their intelligence/personality etc).  Of course my husband loves me and always says I'm beautiful etc, but it's also nice to hear it from others.

So am I a bad bad person?   Happily married but also happy to be admired by other ppl? I have also admired a handsome face, nice butt etc. from time to time

Anyway, I know that this is a fun and lighthearted topic, but you just had me thinking there......

25 inches as at 1st Nov 06
francesgrimble View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote francesgrimble Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2005 at 10:28pm
I think attention from men has a great deal to do with marital status.  I've been married since I was 18 and my husband was 21--well, we lived together starting then, for 7 years before we got married, but we were married in everything except the piece of paper. We were college sweethearts . . . So I've been married and not on the dating scene all  my adult life.  Which is wonderful, as far as I'm concerned.

But my point is, if you're not "looking," and totally unavailable, you just don't ask for that kind of attention from men and they do not give it to you. As for my husband, he loves me no matter what I look like; which if you live with someone all your life and under all circumstances, is a very good thing.

Understand I'm not making any moral judgments--if I were single I'd be trying hard to find someone.  But people of both genders who are trying to find someone behave differently, and one thing they do is consciously or unconsciously try to draw attention to whatever attractive physical features they have.

Fran
letmecount123 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote letmecount123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2005 at 10:14pm

I've always had "nice" hair, I guess... lots of natural (grease? haha) shine to it... so people were always on me about that...

But I get more comments from people that already know me, because I'll wear my hair up for a few days (bun style), and it isn't very thick...so it doesn't LOOK long...and then I pull it down and people go WHOA.  Which is funny, because my hair isn't THAT long.

Most of my boyfriends prefer long hair.  I imagine it has something to do with getting attention from guys... but there are other aspects about me personality wise that have MUCH more to do with who I date.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote francesgrimble Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2005 at 4:52pm
Continued . . .

I got old enough to be confident and assertive, and now if I ever disagree with that type of person, however rationally, they put me in the "rude" box.  Get over 40 and people try to put you in the "old" box--people on the net will make all kinds of statements about how you look and how out of touch you must be, without ever having met you or seen a picture. and against all evidence.

What I'm trying to say it, other people have no business whatever telling you what to do with your hair; short of situtaions like you work for a restaurant owner and they have to make all employees comply with health regulations.  So you shouldn't pay attention to random negative comments, and I personally would tell such a person to buzz off in no uncertain terms.  But, on the other hand, trying to attract public attention because of your hair is also unhealthy IMO. 

Whether the input is positive or negative, your self-image should be based on your self-confidence and not the opinions of others.

Fran

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote francesgrimble Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2005 at 4:45pm
I've grown my hair from shoulder length to just past the bottom of my bra strap, and have noticed no difference whatever in the way people treat me. 

I think it partly depends on how you act.  No offense, but some people get too obsessed with their hair and are always trying to attract attention with it--so they get that attention, positive or negative.  For me, my hair is not a big part of my life. I just quit cutting it and left it up to nature. 

On the other hand, some of the way people treat you has little to do with how you act, and--again, no offense--this is particularly true of the way women treat other women.  Some women are into making others conform, and they're always trying to put everybody in a box.  When I was a teenager, I was about five pounds over the top of my weight range, and people were always telling me to lose weight.  So I lost 12 pounds, which put me at the bottom of my weight range.  Then the the same people switched to telling me I'd "just gain it all back again soon." They wanted me in the "fat" box and were upset I'd gotten out. 
strawberryfine View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote strawberryfine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 03 2005 at 12:50pm

It's been really strange; I'll be 50 in January and just got my 3rd (not a very good track record, I admit) divorce and I have had more dates and some very persistent ones at that than I ever did when I was younger and single with short hair.  I seem to be getting a lot more attention with my hair longer, but I agree with Anais, I feel better with longer hair and I'm not looking for a relationship, in fact, I am avoiding them for a while and I think attitude and self-confidence is as much a factor as length, but I am very attracted to long hair on guys so what do I know?

SF

But it is flattering to be my age and still get the nice feedback.

strawberryfine
2aFii
12/25.5"/terminal length after reaching "small of my back length"
missrini View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote missrini Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 02 2005 at 8:02pm
Yes, I have fast growing hair   That's always a good thing when you're trying to get some length. Waist length here I come!!

Sugaree View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugaree Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 02 2005 at 12:21pm
wow missrini looks like you've gotten a few inches of growth there!

missrini View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote missrini Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2005 at 7:07pm

Anais..I didn't know you did a henna!!!! When? Good on ya

Sugaree, I HIGHLY recommend henna, not only as a hair dye but as a treatment for your scalp and hair. If you have dark hair, then you would not get alot of colour change (henna does not lighten), but you would get amazing firey red highlights in the sun.....red like you wouldn't believe!

As long as you use body art quality henna, you should not get any reactions to anything.  The reason why henna has a bad rep is because alot of the commercially available hennas are mixed with other things and are not pure.  The "other things" react badly with some previously chemically dyed hair.  But, I would still recommend doing a hair-ball test, even with pure henna.

The benefits of henna are many! Includes:

• Amazing colour that NEVER fades.
  • Reduces hair-loss
  • Provides a healthy alternative to chemicals.
  • You can do it yourself and vary the mix to suit you
  • stronger, thicker, shinier hair

I personally would never be able to grow long hair if I hadn't made the switch to henna. 

So, Sugaree, make sure you use only pure BAQ henna.  You can get more info from www.hennaforhair.com (I swear, I am not the owner of this site!!!! hehehe)

AnaisSatin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AnaisSatin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2005 at 11:41am

Here's a picture of my "after" henna next to my "before" henna. My hair is a dark brown. I think the most important thing is to do a strand test to avoid having weird chemical reactions between the old dye and the natural henna.

Anais

my LJ, 40 inches long
Sugaree View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugaree Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2005 at 9:17am
missrini, your hair colour is nice. What do you think the effects of henna
would be on dark hair? Mine is a dark chocolate colour with some red in
it. What are the benefits of using henna over regular hair dye?

missrini View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote missrini Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 18 2005 at 3:22am

I'll just add in my comments here...even though I don't have long hair (yet!).  I know a lady who has VERY long hair (classic), but it is not in good condition (it's bleached and always looks fried to me).  However, she always gets attention because of her hair.  IMO it's because of the length of her hair (obviously not it's condition or anything else).  So I guess ppl do treat her differently because of her hair.....can't decide whether that's a good or a bad thing though

I have to say though that total strangers stop me on a regular basis and compliment me on my hair colour. I usually start extolling the virtues of henna. I must have bored so many ppl!!!  I really should get T-shirts printed........ 

DaveDecker View Drop Down
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveDecker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 17 2005 at 6:03pm
Originally posted by gossipqueen gossipqueen wrote:

Personally I do think that some people treat you differently because you have long hair. From experience I have noticed that most men seem to be more attracted to long hair, not all of course but I think most do. My boyfriend loves my hair and he would probably be distressed if I talked about cutting it. But a lot of guys notice you when you have longer hair…amoung the other things they notice, I don’t know why though.

Because it's aesthetically pleasing.
gossipqueen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gossipqueen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 17 2005 at 4:35pm

Personally I do think that some people treat you differently because you have long hair. From experience I have noticed that most men seem to be more attracted to long hair, not all of course but I think most do. My boyfriend loves my hair and he would probably be distressed if I talked about cutting it. But a lot of guys notice you when you have longer hair…amoung the other things they notice, I don’t know why though.

Bob S View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 12 2005 at 3:21pm

Before a dog found our home, my wife would get stopped all the time along the street by guys asking if she needed a ride. (Nice folks, I guess, but they never asked me when *I* was alone!) She was basically ignored before she had long hair. Only family members hassle her about its length, esp. a couple of my daughters.

Well, I suppose it's too late, but I hope you changed your mind, Tally. Friends and family always will compliment a new 'do, as they think they must say something if it's an obvious change. But the true indicator, IMO, is what unprompted strangers will say. Oh well, if you view long locks as "trouble", you may as well not have them. All the best, Bob

DaveDecker View Drop Down
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveDecker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 11 2005 at 10:27am
What troubles are you having with your long hair, Tally?  We may have a few ideas about what you can do to address your concerns that don't involve hacking off a lot of length...

Like Sunsailing, as I started to grow it longer, I struggled with issues of confidence with the decision to grow long.  Anymore, I'd say the way in which people treat me differently than the usual person (imagining the short-haired doppelganger) are either that they: (1) assume I'm a musician, (2) compliment me, or (3) target me for charity-based haircut solicitations.  Sometimes (3) is immediately preceeded by (2).  The most recent (really annoying!) instance on a recent weekend at a restaurant with a lady friend, we were minding our own business enjoying our dinner when up walked a woman and stood there hovering over our table pressuring me to agree to cut my hair!  I tried to be polite but still... the nerve of some people!

Tally View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tally Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 10 2005 at 8:39am
Over the past 2 years I've grown my hair from shoulder length to waist length and I haven't noticed a difference in the way people treat me, however I have noticed that I get a lot more compliments. When it's shorter often I will get compliments from friends or aquaintances but strangers never approached me. Now that it's long I'll be at a restaurant or the grocery store and strangers will just come up to me with compliments. It's very flattering but honestly not worth the trouble of long hair! Hence I'll be cutting it short again this weekend.
AnaisSatin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AnaisSatin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 08 2005 at 9:10pm

I think it makes a difference if you behave differently after having long hair. Then people would definitely treat you differently because they'd react differently to you as a person. My attitude changed a lot after having long hair, mostly in the confidence department, and felt a lot more feminine. So for example, people may not be treating me nicer than before but I might be more persuasive than before.

Anais

my LJ, 40 inches long
Sunsailing View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sunsailing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 08 2005 at 8:58pm

When I first began growing my hair, I was very self-conscious of it. I probably acted differently, thus people treated me differently. Now that I've had it long for about five years, I'm much more comfortable with it. I just seems natural today. I don't notice anyone treating me differently. I do dress and act very conservatively, which probably helps. About the only non-conservative thing about me is my hair.

I'm sure women have a much different experience when they grow their hair long compared to men in general. There will always be more people reacting negatively to long hair on men as compared to long hair on women. 

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic