Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Help Please! Blonde to Dirty Grey Purple

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
antizephyr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote antizephyr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Help Please! Blonde to Dirty Grey Purple
    Posted: November 06 2005 at 6:30am

I need some serious help!

I purchased the coluleur experte 8.2, which provides you with one slightly darker wash and then highlights to place over that.

I did the dark, and noticed my hair turned a dirty grey purple color. I then went and purchased a similar color, realizing I had made a mistake... color, more color, just made it darker.

I am normally quite a blonde and now have this dishwater grey hair. Is there anything I can do to make it look normal?

As far as going to a salon, I just really can't. Money is tight and I would have gone, had I been able to.

Does anyone have any good suggestions? Last night I washed my hair with dish soap, about 3 times and then heavily conditioned it overnight...

Thanks!

Edited by antizephyr
brittney4824 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brittney4824 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2006 at 5:28am
To get some color out use prell shampoo for a few days the go to a beauty supply store and get a color fill the redye dont go semi-perm to check the color and do then strand test it annoying but worth the time.
nshaddock View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nshaddock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2006 at 4:32pm
I have had my hair turn purple after trying to get a darker color!! I was using L'Oreal and wanted to go from the 9 1/2 Blonde to 7 , which is a really light brown. It turned purple grey and I freaked. I called the 800 number and spoke with a hair expert (they are avail. 24 hours and are extremely helpful!). I was told that the previous highlights had removed all the undertones from my hair and there was no red in it to balance the purple tones in the brown hairdye.
She told me to go to the store and purchase the #7 Light Bown AND #7 Auburn (red). Then take 1/3  of the #7 Auburn (red) and pour it in the #7 L. Brown bottle and mix it up! It was like a science experiment! Then apply this mix to my hair, following the reg. instructions and VOILA...no more purple.
And...if you have any questions about what you want to achieve on your own, at home, call the 800 on the dye box, SERIOUSLY! They will talk you through anything. L'Oreal sent me coupons to cover the $ spent on the mistake, as well as to cover the cost of the new dye (like $30-$40)!
Blondie1972 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blondie1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 15 2006 at 12:48pm
Originally posted by nshaddock nshaddock wrote:

I have had my hair turn purple after trying to get a darker color!! I was using L'Oreal and wanted to go from the 9 1/2 Blonde to 7 , which is a really light brown. It turned purple grey and I freaked. I called the 800 number and spoke with a hair expert (they are avail. 24 hours and are extremely helpful!). I was told that the previous highlights had removed all the undertones from my hair and there was no red in it to balance the purple tones in the brown hairdye.
She told me to go to the store and purchase the #7 Light Bown AND #7 Auburn (red). Then take 1/3  of the #7 Auburn (red) and pour it in the #7 L. Brown bottle and mix it up! It was like a science experiment! Then apply this mix to my hair, following the reg. instructions and VOILA...no more purple.
And...if you have any questions about what you want to achieve on your own, at home, call the 800 on the dye box, SERIOUSLY! They will talk you through anything. L'Oreal sent me coupons to cover the $ spent on the mistake, as well as to cover the cost of the new dye (like $30-$40)!

That's really nice to know that L'Oreal did that.  Great Co.!  Also, glad to hear things worked out with your hair too!
julesyjul88 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote julesyjul88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 15 2006 at 2:29am
 HMPH,I had no luck with Loreal when this happend to me. The number I called was only open until 6pm,and the website said I could only e-mail.I e-mailed and got NO RESPONSE. So I finally called during the right hours,and they told me to go darker! Good thing I didnt listen.
I went to Clairol's website instead,and was told a similar process,but with nice and easy colors. I used 108 light reddish blond on damp hair for twenty minutes,then added 114a natural lightest brown (1 ounce color,1 ounce developer,1 ounce shampoo) on top of the red for an additional 10-20 minutes.
Now it is great! Just what I was aiming for to begin with,which is close to my natural haircolor.A shiney light brown with red highlights.
This may or may not work for you depending what color you are trying to reach. I dont know how to go back to blond...But you could call Loreal or go to www.clairol.com . I had a better exprience with clairol,but in the past always used Loreal's products.
I hope it works out for you,I thought I was a lost cause.
draperdoll View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote draperdoll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 02 2009 at 9:41am
I had the same thing happen to me! I am a natural dirty blonde who has been using very light ash blonde colors. I tried to go a little darker and used L'Oreal's Couleur Experte 8.2 (Iced Meringue). Now, I have purplish-grey hair and look like a superhero. Whoops!

I called the L'Oreal helpline number this  (1-800-631-7358) morning &  the woman I spoke with was very helpful. I have not tried this yet because I need to keep shampooing the purple-grey out but, here is what she told me:

DIRECTIONS:
Use a regular shampoo (not one made for color treated hair) over & over to gradually wash out the purple & grey tones. If your hair is very fine, like mine is, be careful of over-washing and thus drying out your hair. If your hair is not very fragile, you can probably do 2 or 3 shampoos a day.

Removing the bulk of purply-grey color may take a couple days to a week but, it is the safest and most inexpensive way to do it if you can't go to a salon.  (I'd love a quick fix but, just can't afford it!) When the color seems to be out, recolor using the following formula to get the gold back into your hair and remove the ashiness:

CORRECTIVE FORMULA:
Buy 2 boxes of L'Oreal Preference 8G (golden blonde)

- Take one box & mix like normal

- From the second box, take JUST the color bottle (set aside developer and conditioner) and pour HALF of color bottle into first bottle of mixture. It will be to the top but, you'll still be able to shake it up

- Saturate your hair and leave on 25 minutes

- If you like the color when it's done, you can keep it. If you don't, you can recolor at this point.

GOOD LUCK!!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic