Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Strands of Hair Fall Out Everytime I Comb

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Rabbithead View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rabbithead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Strands of Hair Fall Out Everytime I Comb
    Posted: November 07 2005 at 1:24pm

I have fine thin hair that goes to my mid-back. Everytime I run a brush through my hair, a couple of strands fall out from the root. I know that hair will naturally fall out every day but this happens EVERY TIME I comb my hair. Even sometimes when I run my fingers through my hair, a strand or two will fall out. I don't remember losing this much hair before. My bathroom floor is covered with my hair. And my carpet at home has a lot of my fallen hairs too. I'm not taking any medication or experiencing any health problems. This just started happening around the beginning of this year. So it's been like 10 months now.  And the worse part is that I have very fine hair, if it keeps falling out, I will look like I'm going bald!!!

Does long hair fall out more than short hair? Do a couple of strands of hair fall out everytime you comb? If I don't touch my hair at all, it's ok. But once I run my fingers through it or comb it gently, I do lose a couple of strands. It seems that the roots of my hair is very loose or something.

MrsMNK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrsMNK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 07 2005 at 1:42pm
Hi maybe when u comb or run ur fingers through ur hair it might be abit knotty. my hair does the same and i try my best not to run my fingers through my hair because i lose alot more than a couple of strands, my hair seems to get knotty alot for no apperant reason it might be because my hair is wavy not sure, but i try to keep it in a braid at all times which mostly always keeps it untangled, u could try getting some detangleing spray or leave in conditioner which should make ur hair smooth. Hope ive helped
Type *~2A/2B~* waist length

Aim *butt length*
Skzz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skzz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 07 2005 at 2:00pm

I don't think you have anything to worry about. My hair is the same; after styling my hair in the morning no less than 10 hairs are in the sink and it's natural to lose around 100 per day. When you leave your hair alone some hairs have most likely already fallen out and are just tangled within the other strands. When you run your hands through your hair these detached hairs are loosened and fall from the head. So you're not actually ripping hairs from your head every time you comb (and if you are you'd definitely be able to feel it).

I wouldn't worry until you actually see noticeable thinning!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rabbithead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 07 2005 at 4:45pm

I think my hair is thinning. I used to be able to tie my hair up with a hair tie in only 2 twists. Now, it takes 3 twists and that's not even very tight. I also used to have longer hair and it looked fine. My hair right now is to my mid-back. And it doesn't look good, even with layers, because I don't have much hair. I don't think I can grow long hair anymore. 

I'm 29, and I'm worried that I will have less and less hair as I age.

missrini View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote missrini Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 07 2005 at 7:53pm

Rabbit, have you considered using some herbal remedies?  Some herbs that will slow or stop shedding are henna, cassia and amla.  Also, your shedding could be hormonal.  I lost MASSES of hair after I had my babies, but it has now slowed and is negligible.  My hair is growing in nice and thick again and I think I will have a situation in a few months where the lower part of my hair will look really thin by comparison and I may have to chop that section off

There is a group on this BB somewhere about "thinning hair" or "hair loss", maybe have a read of the threads there for some more ideas.

Good luck to you! Don't give up just yet

25 inches as at 1st Nov 06
AnaisSatin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AnaisSatin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 08 2005 at 9:06pm

When you have longer hair, it looks like you're shedding more... but it's the same number of strands. At least that's what I discovered in my hair journey. Also, there is seasonal shedding. Many many people (including myself) start shedding a lot during this post-harvest season.

Anais

my LJ, 40 inches long

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rabbithead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 09 2005 at 2:05pm
I don't think I'm going through any hormomal changes. Well, my hair doesn't fall off in chunks. It's a strand from here and there. But it's pretty scary when you see your bathroom floor covered with your hair. I think my hair doesn't stay in the resting phase too long and therefore it falls out easily. 
Susan W View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Susan W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 10 2005 at 7:08am
I lose a heck of a lot of hair, the full 100 hairs a day I'd say (and the longer it is, the more you see it), so what you describe to me just sounds normal. But if you're worried about it, and feel its different than when you had longer hair before, see a doc.  They can do bloodwork to be sure.

Making metal barettes/concord clips hair safe, long hair style how to: http://alonghair.wordpress.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rabbithead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 10 2005 at 1:20pm

Is it true that the more hair you have, the more you'll lose? I have very fine hair and don't have a lot of it either. And I'm worried that if I continue to lose, let's say 100 strands a day, I will have less and less hair on my head. I guess I cannot afford to lose as much hair as a person who has more hair than me.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AnaisSatin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 10 2005 at 2:48pm

The thicker your hair, the more hair will be shedding. It's proportional. A certain % of your hair will be in the shedding phase at any given time, so... if a gal has more hairs on her head, then she'll end up shedding more hairs. I hope this helps some

Anais

my LJ, 40 inches long
DaveDecker View Drop Down
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveDecker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 11 2005 at 10:32am
How does it looks?  And has the fallout rate changed?

If it looks good (still thick "enough") and the fallout rate hasn't increased significantly, I'd say you're okay.  I experience the same - strands fall out whenever I comb, and the bathroom floor gets a pile of shed hairs on it -- and still I've managed to grow my hair fairly long.   Tell us about your diet and exercise routines; maybe there's room for improvement there?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rabbithead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 11 2005 at 1:53pm

I never had 'thick' hair. I always had very fine, thin hair. But I think my hair is getting even thinner now. Strands of hair here and there fall throughout the day when I run my fingers through them. Last night after I took a shower and dried my hair, at least 20 strands came out when I combed it. (I always blow dry my hair first, then comb it, I know it's bad to comb wet hair, that's why I don't comb my hair when it's wet).

I guess I eat normally, I'm not on a diet or anything. Maybe I do need to eat more veggies. But I always ate more meat than veggies and my eating habits hasn't really changed. I do go to LA fitness like twice a week. I'm kind of skinny, so I'm not overweight or anything.

You can't really tell that I don't have much hair if you just look at me. But when people wrap their fingers around my hair, they're always commenting like, "wow, that's all the hair you have?" And I've compared my hair to my other girlfriends' hair. I can grab much more hair on their head.

And my hairdresser told me that I don't have much hair either.

LadyFrog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LadyFrog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 12 2005 at 10:07am
a lot of my hair's falling out too at the moment. maybe its just the time of year

Edited by LadyFrog

28.02.06 34 inches
Photos
Lifes a grave. Dig it.
-Wednesday 13

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AnaisSatin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 13 2005 at 3:07am
LadyFrog, fabulous sig!
my LJ, 40 inches long
LadyFrog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LadyFrog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 13 2005 at 4:09am
thank you

28.02.06 34 inches
Photos
Lifes a grave. Dig it.
-Wednesday 13
DaveDecker View Drop Down
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveDecker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 13 2005 at 11:47am
I second AnaisSatin.  Beautiful hair you have, LadyFrog! 

Love your sig: Life's a grave, dig it. 

Rabbithead, how do you feel otherwise?  It might be worth your while to see a doctor to have a general physical examination, and also to mention your high fallout rate.

Also, when you wash & dry, how tangled is your hair afterwards?  True, hair is more pliable and prone to breaking when wet, but if you detangle carefully, it doesn't have to be more risky.  I'd rather detangle wet (and I do), than wait until it was dry and try to detangle a dry and tangled mane.  How often do you wash?  Post wash fallout is primarily due to the washing, and is always elevated.  I easily lose 50 strands or more when washing.

And what supplements do you take?  The value of dietary supplementation cannot be overlooked.  I am convinced that my hair would not be anywhere near as long or thick if I didn't include supplements in my diet.  Most important supplements being silica, biotin, MSM and a B-complex.  Add them to your diet and see if your hair fallout does not significantly decrease.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rabbithead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 13 2005 at 7:37pm

Well, I don't have too much of a problem with my hair being tangled, since I don't have much hair anyways. I am taking B-complex and iron right now. My B-complex includes biotin, but not sure if it's enough. I tried silica before, but didn't see any improvements.

I don't know if it's normal for people with very fine hair to see a lot of their scalp when they part their hair. But I can certainly see white scalp when I part mine. I think it's because I don't have a lot of hair.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rabbithead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 13 2005 at 7:40pm

Wow Ladyfrog .... I agree with everyone here. You have very beautiful hair. And it must be extremely healthy for it to be that long.

I'm sooo jealous!!!

LadyFrog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LadyFrog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 14 2005 at 9:52am
so many compliments! I'm quite overwhelmed Don't worry Rabbithead, I got my hair to this length by routinely abusing it-very badly! so I'm sure when your hair gets to this length it will be far healthier than mine!

Also, I used to have thin hair and I could see a lot of my scalp when I parted my hair so don't worry-it's normal. Maybe if you could post some pictures, then we could see your head and be able to judge for ourselves how bad it is. As it's your hair, you'll obviously notice it more but other people probably won't even notice it unless they're actually studying your hair. Whatever you do though, try not to get to stressed about it as that will make it worse. Hope it improves soon

28.02.06 34 inches
Photos
Lifes a grave. Dig it.
-Wednesday 13
gossipqueen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gossipqueen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 17 2005 at 4:25pm

Rabbit, I understand how you feel since recently my hair has been falling out more then usual. I’m trying to grow my hair so it is causing me a bit of distress as well.  When I comb it or brush it I notice that more hair then usual is coming out. I don’t know if I’m noticing it more because my hair has grown a little bit but if you figure out what to do about it post your findings. Good luck and your not alone.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic