Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Bad Perm..Need help

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Juswavin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Juswavin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Bad Perm..Need help
    Posted: November 10 2005 at 11:25pm

My hair is really fine..I wanted a perm, and my friend put it in (ogilvie) for hard to wave hair.

It didnt give me curl, instead I got frizz!  I put another perm without the rods, as was suggested by a salon, and it didnt work.. Now when I comb my hair, the frizz is there, and its taking a lot of my hair out and onto the comb.. my bathroom trash can has a whole lot of hair in it from just combing it...

Now what? Its also orange looking on top. I need to get color in it, but im afraid I have too many chemicals in it already since my comb is pulling more and more out......Any help out there?..Im getting really afraid of what im seeing!

Claude View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 11 2005 at 9:38am

OK first off I'm highly recommending NO CHEMICAL SERVICES FOR YOU. That means don't reperm your hair, color your hair, add highlights to your hair or try to chemically relax your hair. Please don't attempt any of these for a LONG, LONG TIME!

Wow you did 2 perms back to back? If you have a bad perm you should have conditioned your hair every other day for 2 weeks then have a stylist check the condition of your hair to see if it's healhy enough to withstand another perm. Especially with fine hair perms can be very damaging especially if you get the wrong type of perm for example hard to wave hair (aka resistant hair). Fine hair is anything but resistant. When the perm was processing did she check periodically around your head by doing a "test curl"? That is where you open the perm rod and roll it out slightly and let it rest against the head to see the "S" shaped pattern and see how it's processing? If she left it in too long she overprocessed your hair. It sounds like overprocessing to me because you are having breakage of the hair stands. Don't brush through your hair, use a W I D E tooth comb and be very gently combing thru your hair.

You need to deep condition your hair to put the moisture back into the hair strand that the 2 perms you've tried have pulled out. Who in the world at a salon told you to attempt another perm right on top of your original perm but not use rollers? I can only assume they we're thinking it would relax the curl and frizz out of your hair, They are completely clueless and the stylist suggesting that is a moron! They need to re-enroll in a better beauty school because any chemical service, drys out the hair strand to a weakened state.

For Deep Conditioning I'd recommend L'ANZA's 5 step Deep Conditioning program. Call around your area salons and see if they carry Goldwell Color and if they do chances are they carry L'ANZA's Deep Conditioning System as it's distributed by Goldwell and carried in their retail stores. It's expensive it's not cheap but it's what you need to jump start your hair back to a healthy state. This is the treatment I am talking about. http://www.lanza.com/news-pr15.htm

Some salons might charge as much as $25 but it's worth it for that treatment system....there really is no better choice when it comes to deep conditioning your hair.

Also begin using a gentle shampoo something for permed or color treated hair as they are much more gentle than the standard stuff out there. OH AND STAY AWAY FROM any shampoo with Ammonium Laurel or Laureth Sulfate in it....only use shampoos with Sodium Lauryl and Laureth Sulfate in them.

If you get someone to deep condition your hair with L'ANZA then you will need to deep condition weekly and condition your hair every other day. The damage will never be repaired it can only grow out but the conditioners will make the hair managable for you.

G'luck

Edited by Claude
Juswavin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Juswavin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 11 2005 at 2:58pm

Thank you sooooooooooo much, you have been VERY helpful, and I will follow through exactly as you told me......

There is a beauty supply next door to my work, and the woman there is the one who told me to use the second perm....I didnt know, so I listened!..

Thanks again

amandahairgirl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amandahairgirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2006 at 6:51pm

First of all, for most people, a straightner would have been okay. You however have fine hair so it makes the situation a little different. What they told you to do at the salon I am guessing is to put a perm in and comb through you hair which in turn would make it straight. What should have been done is some deep conditioning. The straightening could be done with some and not others. It depends. With your hair type I would say you should stick with a professional.I don't know what color the rest of your hair is, but if it's not blond you can go to a professional and they can match the ends and only color the new growth. Your hair would PROBABLY be fine but I couldn't say for sure unless I saw it. For now, the best thing you can do is use a MOISTURE shampoo (professional) and deep conditioner. It also wouldn't hurt to use a protein cream. I recommend Kpack with a cap for atleast 10 min. Rinse with cool water to close up the cuticle.

Amanda  cosmetologist

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic