Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

HELP!!! WHAT TO DO ABOUT WELL WATER

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
trriddle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trriddle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: HELP!!! WHAT TO DO ABOUT WELL WATER
    Posted: November 12 2005 at 9:39pm
Help! I have well water and have lived in this home for about 2 years. My hair used to be soft, shiny, and manageable. My hair has always grown very fast and split ends not a problem. I found the hairboutique site about a month ago and was amazed to find an article on well water and realized what was wrong with my hair. Gradually, I had noticed my hair seemed to have stopped growing and was very dry with lots of split ends. I began to trim more often and use deep conditioning treatments more often but nothing helped. Before I found the article I thought the hair change (damage) was linked to the abundant stress I have been under the last year. I now think the major culprit is the well water/hard water. My budget is small but I am willing to try home remedies or buy products that are necessary. I'm confused because from reading about this problem I know I need to strip the hair of the minerals in the well water and then condition. I don't want to cause any more drying or split ends but the wonderful green/orange hue in my light brown hair has got to go. Can anyone help me? I am a girl of a different color! /COLOR]

Edited by trriddle
Tava
Merlin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Merlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 17 2005 at 10:17am

Sorry to hear about your problem. Short of washing your hair in bottled water (not a bad idea if you can get large jugs at a reasonable price), there are products that remove the well water minerals from your hair. One that a co-worker uses and likes very much is Malibu 2000. You can read about it here:

http://www.wellwaterhair.com/

Good luck and I hope you find something that works very well for you.

Merlin
Susan W View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Susan W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 15 2005 at 8:32am
Green and orange hue?  I wonder if its not iron and copper residue?  I've never tried the product listed above, but if its these metals and its changed the color of your hair, its worth a shot to try to remove it.

I don't think your hair has stopped growing, just that the damage is causing it to break off and equal the growth rate.  You will have to keep it trimmed to make sure the splits don't climb your hair.

I have hard water, and the thing I do is after I wash and condition, dip my ends in vinegar water and then pour it over all my hair.  This keeps it shiny and soft, and causes the hardness to rinse off.  I do not rinse with water afterwards.  Bottled water is also a good idea if you don't want to use vinegar, or if you just want to rinse out the vinegar.  Vinegar can be diluted 1TBsp in 1 cup of water, or a little more vinegar if needed...just be sure not to use the vinegar concentrated.  Its strong, and not necessary.  My water has more of a calcium problem than metals though, so I don't know how much this will help (works very well on calcium hard water, so its worth a try).

Making metal barettes/concord clips hair safe, long hair style how to: http://alonghair.wordpress.com
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic