Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Cutting my own hair... suggestions

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Alpha13 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alpha13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Cutting my own hair... suggestions
    Posted: November 16 2005 at 11:39am
Hi guys. I recently purchased a set of Wahl clippers to cut my own hair, because my cut is very simple. I do a #2 all around and even out the front and sideburns. I have been cutting my hair for almost 2 months now and I have noticed my hair looks very amateurish, even downright bad looking.

Immediately after I cut my hair it look decent, the hairs that are inconsistantly long aren't very noticeable unless you are close and are looking at my head. But after just one day my hair looks noticeably worse. After 3 or 4 days my hair just plain looks bad. I never had this issue when I went to the barber, my hair would look spotless and grow evenly. What do you guys suggest I do to cut my hair more evenly? I have tried cutting with and without my hair wet. I hope their's some haircutting product out there that will fix my problem!

Thanks
Kuroneko View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kuroneko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 18 2005 at 1:58am
If you're getting hairs that are inconsistent in length, make sure your clipper blades are sharp enough and that the clippers are in good working order.  Make sure you put the guard on right, too.  Any of those things could make the cut turn out badly.  Also important is to go over the hair more than once, in different directions, so you catch all the hairs no matter which way they grow.
More awesome than a manatee!
Claude View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 18 2005 at 7:44am

Originally posted by Alpha13 Alpha13 wrote:

Hi guys. I recently purchased a set of Wahl clippers to cut my own hair, because my cut is very simple. I do a #2 all around and even out the front and sideburns. I have been cutting my hair for almost 2 months now and I have noticed my hair looks very amateurish, even downright bad looking.

Immediately after I cut my hair it look decent, the hairs that are inconsistantly long aren't very noticeable unless you are close and are looking at my head. But after just one day my hair looks noticeably worse. After 3 or 4 days my hair just plain looks bad. I never had this issue when I went to the barber, my hair would look spotless and grow evenly. What do you guys suggest I do to cut my hair more evenly? I have tried cutting with and without my hair wet. I hope their's some haircutting product out there that will fix my problem!

Thanks

Assumming your clipper blades are sharp after each pass with the clippers take a fine tooth comb and comb the hair back down into it's natural lie position and pass the clipper back up thru the hair. Do this 3 times then check to see for imperfections. So if you are doing a #2 all over like a brush cut and cutting the top from front to back after a pass with the clippers comb the hair you just cut from back to front with a fine tooth comb and pass thru it again with the clipper and repeat, etc. It should help minimize your problems and should eliminate that issue with stray hairs.

G'luck

PS - anytime you are cutting hair with clippers cut it dry! Not wet or damp. The hair must be dry.

Edited by Claude
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic