Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Hair breakage

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
carameldiva View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carameldiva Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2005 at 6:47pm
for clarifying- i reccommend sally's generic version of Nexxus Aloe rid- i used this for the first time last weekend and it was very moisturizing and brought my hair back to life. Very pleased. also i totally agree with everyone else- you need to deep condition weekly with a thin, plastic cap under heat for 45 mins to an hour. Some really good deep conditioners are Queen Helene Super Cholesterol treatment, Lamaur's bone Marrow, also i use a dominican "roostertail" of miss keys 10 en 1, rivas silicon mix and emergencia. for protein i add Jherri Rhedding's 100% natural protein conditioner to the dominican "roostertail". for shedding i use either queen helene garlic shampoo or Nutrine Garlic shampoo and nutrine garlic conditioner. Shampoos that i like are Salon Care Shampoos and Conditioners that can be purchased at Sally's Beauty Supply. I also like Aussie Moist, Tresseme- the one anti-breakage one, and a shampoo concentrate that i got at www.thechemistrystore.com (i also like their vitamin fortified hair conditioner too). for moisture- i use a glycerin/aloe juice/distilled water/rosemary oil spritz. I also add liquid aloe vera and glycerin to my conditioners-since i have hard water. to oil my scalp i am currently using rosemary oil diluted in coconut oil but i also have evening primrose oil, sweet almond oil, apricot kernel oil, castor oil, jamaica black castor oil and grapeseed oil on hand. I use the castor oil/jamaica black castor oil for ends treatments/pre-shampoo treatments( i sometimes use heat for 10-15 mins prior to shampooing). Hope this helps.
Me and you, your cousin and your momma too rollin on da strip on bow's
Pokahontas View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pokahontas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 23 2005 at 7:58am
Originally posted by TwinkletOes23 TwinkletOes23 wrote:

ok i just washed my hair and this is what i used ok i started by using the rest of the sample i had of dove intense moisture shampoo and conditioner although the conditoner has cerytol alcohol (is that a bad thing) well then i used the suave three minute conditoner. I didnt use the shampoo my salonist gave me this time because the conditioner   has mineral oil in it (why do companies always but mineral oil in shampoo thats ment for  and you guys said mineral oil was bad(why do companies always put mineral oil in shampoo ment for relaxed hair sigh) anywho now im going to put the mango butter on it and my thermasilk leave in conditoner and then  roll it up with sponge rollers wrapped in satin let it air dry about 80 percent then with the rollers still in  spray it lightly with V05 heat tamer then blow dry it on low until its dry.Then im going to put my flat iron setting  on 3 and flat iron it out just enough to smooth it.Then when im done i will put just a little herbal essence smoothing creme just a little bit and a little shock serum just a little just to give it a little shine.

so how does this sound feel free to tell me if i have done something wrong

ps threw that pantene stuff in the trash and stomped on it lol

That sounds good.  How did it turn out?

I don't know about everyone else but I don't worry too much about mineral oils that are in shampoo's and conditioners because I am rinsing them out anyway.  Of course it would be better if they weren't in there though.

Dove's smoothing creme is really good also.  I've never tried the Herbal Essence one that you mentioned.

NoNapNique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NoNapNique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 23 2005 at 11:11am

I second what everyone was saying about the absence of moisture in your regimen...  The same thing happened to me - I thought I was doing everything right and I was getting frustrated that I was still getting breakage...  Then I figured out the culprit - LACK OF DAILY MOISTURE.  So I made my own daily moisturizer:

distilled water/glycerin/Emu oil/alcohol-free aloe vera gel/and a moisturizing conditioner (w/no protein in it)... 

Talk about SILKY, MOISTURIZED, and STRONG!!!  My hair has made a complete turn-around! I still see a couple broken strands every now and then, but NOTHING compared to what it used to be.

Be careful with the long term daily use of the Hollywood Beauty Carrot Oil, because there is protein in it.  I was using it everyday thinking it would stop my breakage, but it made it worse due to the protein in it. My hair is "protein sensitive".

Oh... and don't worry so much about mineral oil and petrolatum in your conditioners or oil moisturizers - Pokahontas is right, you are rinsing them off.  And whatever stays on is somewhat beneficial in that it will smooth and protect strands... Only be concerned if you are applying a product directly to your scalp, because you don't want to clog the pores.  Alot of ladies with long, healthy hair SWEAR by Vaseline (petrolatum) on their ends.

Edited by NoNapNique
afrolatina View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote afrolatina Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 23 2005 at 12:06pm

Pokahontas and NoNapNique make a good point.  I guess this is a personal issue and the only way to know what works for you is by trial and error.  If you remove an ingredient from your regimen and replace with a new one and your hair improves, then you know that was effective for your hair. 

In your case, you can try several things: 

A. Reduce the amount of heat and continue using the same products as before.  If your hair noticably improves then you know you have to limit use of the flat iron.

B. Continue using flat iron as often as you normally do but remove one or 2 ingredients from your regimen (ex. anything with petroleum, mineral oil or cones or whatever you suspect your hair is sensitive to) and replace with moisturizer that does not contain these.  If your hair improves, great.  If remains the same then the ingredients are may not the problem. 

C. Reduce amount of heat and eliminate suspect ingredients.

Personally, I think the heat is a big factor.  Maybe just doing more deep conditioners and using a better moisturizer daily will be enough to see improvement.  Also, if the salon products work well at the salon, then there may be no need to switch using them at home despite the mineral oil in them.  

TwinkletOes23 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TwinkletOes23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 25 2005 at 12:30pm

after i followed my hair regimine mentioned above my hair turned out soft and pretty but still with breakage not as much buti dont want there to be any could this be relaxer damage ?

cmesweet View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cmesweet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 25 2005 at 10:47pm

Your hair could just be breaking off from the regimen you had before. If you had that regimen for a length of time with alot of heat or the wrong products than your hair was probably damaged and the results are now showing as breakage. 

I think you should do some deep conditioning...also try to stretch your relaxers.

Natural
BC May 9, 2004

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pokahontas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 26 2005 at 3:40am
Originally posted by TwinkletOes23 TwinkletOes23 wrote:

after i followed my hair regimine mentioned above my hair turned out soft and pretty but still with breakage not as much buti dont want there to be any could this be relaxer damage ?

Sorry if you've already mentioned this but how often do you get trims?  You should probably trim some of those damaged ends off because that's why they are breaking.  Like cmesweet said, the damage is probablly from your past regimine.  But by following a better regimine you hair will be much healthier, especially after you get those bad ends off.

If you ends are really damaged this may only be a temporary fix but castor oil is good for ends.  It is a humectant and is very moisturizing.  A lot of people swear by it for stopping/reducing breakage.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TwinkletOes23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 26 2005 at 11:24am
i get a trim every time i get my hair relaxed so this should be new healthy hair i just dont get it ...could it be because of my bc pills ....ive tried everything ive reduced heat from 5 to 3 .....ive not used the herbal essence smoothing milk or the pomade .iv used nithing but the mango buterand my hair still breaks..i even tie my hair up along with using a satin pillow case the only difference i can see is gthe bc pills should i change them ...talk to my doctor or my stylist or what?

Edited by TwinkletOes23

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pokahontas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 27 2005 at 7:31am

I've heard a lot of people say mango butter caused their hair to be dry but I've never tried it.  If your hair feels okay using that then continue use but if not I would try something different. 

Okay.....so you get regular trims.....the only other thing that I would think it might be is the heat.  You may be using heat too often.  Have you ever thought of trying styles that require no direct heat so your hair can get a rest or maybe stretching your relaxer or growing it out and being natural?  Do you blow dry as well as flat iron?  My hair gets fragile with blow drying and that's why I don't do it.  Sorry to ask so many questions, just trying to help as much as I can. 

Yes, I would talk to a doctor about bc pills just to be on the safe side.  Did you experience breakage before you started taking that particular bc?

afrolatina View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote afrolatina Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 28 2005 at 8:04am

It is really too soon to tell whether your new regimen is working.  It takes a while to see really noticable effects.  And yes, the damage could be due to overprocessing.  Either way, you should seriously consider limiting or discontinuing the flat iron (at least for a while).  Too much heat is very drying and damaging and if you do have relaxer damage, the heat will just make it worse. 

You may want to try a reconstructor (Emergencee is good) followed by moisturizing conditioner.  Repeat weekly or every other week.  (See Cookiesncream's post on Emergencee and relaxer damage.)  This stuff can seriously slow breakage.  Also I noticed that you did not clarify.  If you have buildup (which you most liekly have) then you need to clarify.  The buildup of certain ingredients can interfere with the effects of other products you use and also make your hair look and feel terrible.  You need a clarifying shampoo or apple cider vinegar rinse.

If your mom will not purchase the Emergencee, at least try clarifying and then continue the new regimen with lots of moisture and keep heat to a minimum. 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TwinkletOes23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 28 2005 at 11:38am
i only flat iron once a week and i have started to rolls my hair up with rollers wrapped in satin when its wet let it air dry and then flat iron it on setting three just to smooth it out......my hair is breaking less but i dont want it to break at all.....
cmesweet View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cmesweet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 28 2005 at 2:03pm
Mango butter made my hair (natural) and my sister's hair (relaxed) hard and crispy.
Natural
BC May 9, 2004

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TwinkletOes23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 29 2005 at 11:39pm

the mango butter seems to do alright for my hair ...except it has cones in it and cerytol alcohol

princess8907 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote princess8907 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 30 2005 at 6:55am

Originally posted by cmesweet cmesweet wrote:

Mango butter made my hair (natural) and my sister's hair (relaxed) hard and crispy.

well i know to stay away from this

4b-natural,shoulder blade length,hair goal of to my bra strap

SexySyn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SexySyn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2007 at 11:40am

You guys had some great tips and suggestions for hair breakage.  I was looking for the post for emergencee and relaxers, because a stylist recommended it too me and I tried it, but it always leaves my hair hard and brittle.  I have follewed the directions and I have even tried putting it on for only 5 mins before shampooing and then continuing my usually hair regimine.  That seemed to work, but I am still very skeptical about it.

What I am experiencing though, which is most concerning me is.  Breakage which happens every time the new growth comes after a touch up.  My hair will break off exactly where the new growth comes in.  I have been plastering my hair with moisturzers but I am hoping someone can suggest a better way of dealing with this.  My hair has grown alot of the past year.  Its soft, it has body, but it starts to break off as the new growth comes.  I use wigs and hair pcs right before the touch up so I can hold off for a couple of weeks.  I try to minimize my touch ups to 8 weeks and 6 weeks minimum.  But the breakage is frustrating.

I wash my once a week, then deep condition.  I do a conditioner rinse on Wednesdays.  I pull my hair into a pony tail and let it air dry, then blow dry on a low setting ( I use the cold air blast to dry) then I hot curl with my curling iron ( rather than flat ironing) set at 3.

Please help. 
Syn 
360s comin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 360s comin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2007 at 10:37pm
isnt there some kind of grease u can use?
SexySyn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SexySyn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2007 at 10:46pm
If there is, can someone tell me.  I would give it a try. LOL
ladyflash View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ladyflash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2007 at 3:41pm
The sponge rollers could also be a culprit if you are not covering them with an end paper first. The rollers could be taking the moisture out of your hair (just like a cotton pillow case would) and also might cause the hair to tangle while you sleep because of the friction from tossing and turning during the night.
You have gotten some great advice from the ladies and it sounds like you are taking the necessary steps to improve your hair care regimen. When you find what works for you keep it up. Healthy hair is an on going journey!

Just remember: Clean regularly, Moisture is essential!, Protein makes your hair strong!, Oil seals in moisture!, Deep conditioning treatments are a must ( and make the hair pretty and soft) regular trims ( you're doing fine with everytime you get a relaxer) and protecting it not only at night (i.e. wrapping, satin pillow cases) but also during the day (i.e. uv protection, hair friendly tops if it is shoulder length, pony tail and buns to protect your ends)
CHECK OUT MY PHOTOS! My Fotki Album
SexySyn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SexySyn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2007 at 11:10am
I stopped using sponge rollers years ago.  I don't like how they leave my hair.  I don't really like the regular rollers, I was thinking if I should try the rubber ones that you can wrap and sleep in, but I haven't decided yet.  Even when I go to the hairdresser, I will let her wrap my hair and then blow dry it. Then use a curling iron.

I wrap my hair every night religiously in a doo rag or a satin head wrap before I go to bed.  I have gotten so bad with it, that I do it even when I go on vacation and when my boyfriend comes over.  ( It's hard to feel sexy with a doorag on your head, LOL )

I have just tried Virgin Coconut Oil on my hair and it has stopped breaking.  It's soft, silky and I love it.  I found my new oil.  I went in search of Jojoba oil, but the health store didn't have any and I got VCO instead.  I tried Avocado oil previously because it has great protein for hair and skin, but it doesn't hold a candle to VCO.  Even my ends are silky smooth and sleek. 

Anyone who is experiencing dry hair or breakage, try a few drops of VCO and massage throughout your hair from root to tip and you will see amazing difference in your hair.  If you use to much it will feel greasy, so don't go wild.  Put it on your finger tips are massage into your roots also.

But I am so excited about my find.

Edited by SexySyn - April 26 2007 at 7:47pm
ladyflash View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ladyflash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2007 at 1:00pm
Yeah I love coconut oil too!
CHECK OUT MY PHOTOS! My Fotki Album
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic