Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Hair breakage

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
TwinkletOes23 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TwinkletOes23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hair breakage
    Posted: November 18 2005 at 11:22am
Um i have a little hair breakage i dont tie my hair up at night because the bonnet or hair tie ends up on the other side of the bed so i bought a satin pillow but y hair is still breaking is it because of the satain pillow ot is it because i use the pantene relaxed and natural moisturizing creme or something else
Sistaslick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sistaslick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 18 2005 at 11:35am

what else are you doing in your regimen as far as styling, heat, moisturizing, washing.... products, etc?

Pokahontas View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pokahontas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 18 2005 at 12:38pm
.....yes, fill us in on your regimine so we can better help you.  Do you relax, heat style?  I doubt if the satin pillow case is causing you breakage.  What products do you use as far as shampoo, conditioner, oils and moisturizers?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TwinkletOes23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 18 2005 at 1:05pm
ok i use this stuff my stylist recommended called silk 2 as far as every day regimine i wash my hair every five days (once a week) i use herbal essence smoothing creme  ,herbal essence pomade(only when im pulling my hair back or there r loose hairs flying around,thermasilk straightening gel (it contains no alcohol that i have seen only silk proteins and amino acids???), pantene relaxed and natural moisturizing creme and brilliant brunette shine shock serum. Ive stopped brushing while its been wet now i wash it roll it with sponge rollers wrapped in satin and let it air dry 80 percent then with the rollers in blow dry on a low setting so that its dry 90 percent then i flat iron on any where from 1 to 5 at the highest (five when its getting close to time for a relaxer). Like i said i hate bonnets and head wraps one they look ugly two they end up on the other side of the bed by morning so i bought a satin pillow case(although my stylist says it wont keep my style in place but its too short to wrap so in the morning after i wake up i put on a head wrap to keep my hair from frizzing while i shower then i let my hair cool after the shower...i spray thermasilk leave in conditioning on then i roll my hair for about 30 min i brush it put the herbal essence smoothing creme on it,the brillant brunette shock serum and then i get ready to go. I just dont get what im doing wrong i mean before i flat iron i use VO5 heat tamer stuff it contains no alcohol (ive researched the ingredients). Im at my wits end. My hair didnt start breaking bad until i went to the Jc pennys salon and got a double process ( i know should have  known better but most of all the stylist should have known better) so left there and started going to my current stylist and she cut all the damaged parts off and it grew a little .....so she asked what products do i use and i told her pantene relaxed and natural and she said its too drying for my hair because those companies dont know what blk women need after they have a relaxer so i started to use what she recommended which is silk 2 she said my ends looked torn even the shortest pieces so i revamped my routine and i still see breakage is because im taking birth control (yasmin 32) i just dont get it please help im writing this through tears ~cries~ 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pokahontas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 18 2005 at 1:25pm

Well, it dosen't really sound like you're doing anything dramatically wrong.  That double process was the only thing that worried me.  Did you have a relaxer put over another chemical that was already in your hair?  This could be what is causing some of your breakage.  Do you get trims regularly?  If not, you may want to be sure to do that.

As far as the Pantene creme and the Brunette serum.....they may be causing a build up on your hair and preventing moisture from getting in because the Pantene creme has mineral oil in it I think and I'm pretty sure the Brillant Brunette serum has cones in it.  You might want to do a apple cider vinegar rinse to clarify your hair, then shampoo and do a protein treatment (I use Ion or Nutress hair) then follow up with a deep conditioning treatment to put the moisture back in your hair......I use Lekair Cholesterol Plus or Dove Intense moisture.

I  hope that helps a little.  I'm sure the other ladies will have more suggestions that will help you also. 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TwinkletOes23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 18 2005 at 1:31pm

Quote : Brillant Brunette serum has cones in it.

hmmm never thought of that is it bad for your hair i like it because it give the illusion of shine to my hair is there another type of serum i should use

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sistaslick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 18 2005 at 1:32pm

Originally posted by TwinkletOes23 TwinkletOes23 wrote:

ok i use this stuff my stylist recommended called silk 2 as far as every day regimine i wash my hair every five days (once a week) i use herbal essence smoothing creme  ,herbal essence pomade(only when im pulling my hair back or there r loose hairs flying around,thermasilk straightening gel (it contains no alcohol that i have seen only silk proteins and amino acids???), pantene relaxed and natural moisturizing creme and brilliant brunette shine shock serum. Ive stopped brushing while its been wet now i wash it roll it with sponge rollers wrapped in satin and let it air dry 80 percent then with the rollers in blow dry on a low setting so that its dry 90 percent then i flat iron on any where from 1 to 5 at the highest (five when its getting close to time for a relaxer). Like i said i hate bonnets and head wraps one they look ugly two they end up on the other side of the bed by morning so i bought a satin pillow case(although my stylist says it wont keep my style in place but its too short to wrap so in the morning after i wake up i put on a head wrap to keep my hair from frizzing while i shower then i let my hair cool after the shower...i spray thermasilk leave in conditioning on then i roll my hair for about 30 min i brush it put the herbal essence smoothing creme on it,the brillant brunette shock serum and then i get ready to go. I just dont get what im doing wrong i mean before i flat iron i use VO5 heat tamer stuff it contains no alcohol (ive researched the ingredients). Im at my wits end. My hair didnt start breaking bad until i went to the Jc pennys salon and got a double process ( i know should have  known better but most of all the stylist should have known better) so left there and started going to my current stylist and she cut all the damaged parts off and it grew a little .....so she asked what products do i use and i told her pantene relaxed and natural and she said its too drying for my hair because those companies dont know what blk women need after they have a relaxer so i started to use what she recommended which is silk 2 she said my ends looked torn even the shortest pieces so i revamped my routine and i still see breakage is because im taking birth control (yasmin 32) i just dont get it please help im writing this through tears ~cries~ 

Hmmm maybe you should try stepping up the deep conditioning and moisturizing.  I don't see where you mentioned a daily moisturizer, and I'm thinking the products you mentioned (the herbal essences smoothing creme, pantene moisturizing creme, brilliant brunette, thermasilk) are protein heavy.  Protein is good, but you have to balance it out with moisture.  I would avoid the holding products and protein leave in's for a few weeks to restore the moisture balance.

Also the pantene moisturizing creme-- is this the oil moisturizer?  If so, you need to chunk this ASAP.  That stuff contains mineral oil AND petrolatum-- and that is starving your hair of the moisture it really needs.  I suggest trying a waterbased moisturizer w/o the mineral oil and petrolatum--like S-Curl no drip, Hollywood beauty carrot oil, ORS olive oil, Cantu Shea Butter Moisturizer . . .etc.

You may also want to avoid direct heat until you can get your breakage under control.  Heat protectants help a tremendous amount, but they arent 100%-- especially if your hair is already kinda weak from other things you are doing to it.  HTH

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sistaslick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 18 2005 at 1:34pm
oh, and exactly what type of double process did you do?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TwinkletOes23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 18 2005 at 1:37pm

um she relaxed my hair but it didnt take (she was wayyyy to slow applying it) so i started burning and it didnt take so she said come back in two weeks we did and she relaxed my hair again and it still didnt take and my hair started breaking off BADDDDDD

what kind of serum should i use should i get a protein treatment if so what kind nexxus infusium 23 what plz help :(

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sistaslick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 18 2005 at 1:42pm

when was the last time you deep conditioned your hair?  I would work on moisture before I'd go the protein route-- especially since your products seem to contain a bit of protein already.

You can try Neutragena Triple Moisture Silk Touch Leave In---- Infusium has more protein than you really need right now.  NTM control frizz, leaves your hair soft, has UV filters...its great! and smells good too

Edited by Sistaslick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pokahontas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 18 2005 at 1:44pm
Originally posted by TwinkletOes23 TwinkletOes23 wrote:

Quote : Brillant Brunette serum has cones in it.

hmmm never thought of that is it bad for your hair i like it because it give the illusion of shine to my hair is there another type of serum i should use

Yeah, I love the shine also and I have been guilty of using products with cones in them just for that reason.  That's why I make sure to clarify with acv if I've been using them.  The thing about cones (and mineral oil) is that they coat the hair strand and prevent moisturizers from getting through, so in the long run it dries your hair out. 

Like Sistaslick said, you may want to try a different moisturizer with no mineral oil in it.  I buy mine online from Oyinhandmade.  It's called whipped pudding, and I also use olive oil.  They also have a product called Shine and Define that works real well and has no cones but it's not a serum.  I don't think I've been able to find a serum without cones in it.  I think Elucence has one though but I've never tried it.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TwinkletOes23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 20 2005 at 11:45am
ok i looked at the nuetrogena stuff its expensive and my mom wouldnt get it because it cost so much (poor poor college student) so she got me the eq elastic mango butter is this ok? Ill try to se if i can butter her up today to get the nutrogena since she just got paid :).....but the breakage is lessening now maybe it was shedding and i thought it was breaking how do i tell the difference?yes the pantene is full of mineral oil my mom loves the stuff because she says it makes my hair look better what im concerned about is hair health...what can i do to make it healthier
memya View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote memya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 20 2005 at 1:34pm
                  if it's shedding you will see a white bulb at the and of the strand.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TwinkletOes23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 20 2005 at 5:51pm
nope no white bulb
WomanlyCharm View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WomanlyCharm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 20 2005 at 6:01pm
If there's no white bulb, you're probably experiencing breakage like you first thought.
You're right to think of your hair health first, it doesn't matter how good a product makes your hair look if it's making it fall out of your head!
Find an inexpensive moisturizing shampoo and conditioner, double processing your hair can make it super dry.  Dove is good, so is Aussie Moist...it's all a matter of finding what works best for you.
And you may want to cut back on the flat ironing, even though you use the vo5 spray (I use it too!) the heat (especially on level 5) can make your hair even more brittle.
If you want your hair to shine, try a natural oil like castor or grape seed...they also help make it stronger. Just use a little bit or you'll end up one greasy mess.     Good luck!
The Lord is my light and my salvation...whom shall I fear?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TwinkletOes23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 20 2005 at 8:45pm
ok i have a sample of dove ill use it ....how about if i put my flat iron on 3 if i dont flat iron it no  matter when i got my relaxer ill have a BIG POOFY MESS so what if i put my relaxer on 3 instead of 5 i was told by my salonist to not go past 8?
afrolatina View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote afrolatina Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2005 at 9:22am

Definitely listen to the ladies on this board will.  They really know their stuff.  

I agree, it sounds like your hair needs clarifying to remove the buildup from styling products, and is also craving moisture.  For this, I think using a decent clarifying shampoo and deep conditioner once a week or every other week would help.  Add a natural oil or butter to your regimen (olive oil, jojoba oil, shea butter, coco, mango, etc..) anything natural to add shine and improve health of hair.  All the products you listed that you use have harsh ingredients in them and will not improve the health of your hair.  Used sparingly or along with natural oils or butters they are fine but used exclusively and they will build up and dryout your hair.

Definitely give up the Pantene oil moisturizer.  Elasta should be an improvement.  There are other really good moisturizers that have been mentioned on this board (there are several threads you may want to look up).  Also, using a flat iron is fine, but you may want to find alternate ways to style your hair in order to reduce the frequent use of heat which is very drying.  This will definitely make a difference in your overall hair health. 

Also, which of the silk 2 products are you using.  I have never heard of this line but it looks like a decent salon line. 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TwinkletOes23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2005 at 11:10am
im using the silk2 shampoo and conditioner......so my herbal essence stuff shouldnt be used?   ok ill deep conditon my silk 2 conditioner can be used as a deep conditioner or as just a quick conditioner its up to the used...umm i dont have a hooded dryer at my dorm can i put on a plastic cap and use my blow dryer on low?
afrolatina View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote afrolatina Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2005 at 12:12pm

Using your conditioner w/ a plastic cap and blow dryer should work fine.  Also, do you have a microwave?  You can mix up a batch of conditioner, extra virgin olive oil and/or other goodies like shea or coco butter (there are great recipes for stuff like this in other threads) and heat in a microwave.  Then you can apply the warm mixture to your hair, cover and let it sit for a while.

None of the styling products that you mentioned are moisturizers.  They contain tons of cones (both the Herbal Essence smoothing creme & Brilliant Brunet serum). Cones make your hair feel slippery and slick but they coat your hair in the process and contribute to dryness.  Some cones (don't know which ones) build up and require a stronger shampoo or clarifying ACV rinse (I think?) to remove. Also, the Herbal Essence has protein as an ingredient.  Too much protein can actually be bad for your hair and lead to breakage. The Pantene oil moisturizer has mineral oil, petroleum included in the main ingredients (these coat and suffocate your hair) and has cones and protein.  No wonder your hair is breaking.  Not sure about the V05 Heat Tamer ingredients, but you are right to use a heat protectant of some sort whenever you flat iron. 

Replacing a couple of these products (Pantene especially) with a good moisturizer & natural oils (shea butter, olive  or carrot cream, Elasta QP Mango Butter / Hollywood Carrot oil or just plain Extra Virgin Olive Oil from the market) should make a big difference. 

In my case, I gave up styling products with cones as they really tend to dry out my hair.  Everyone is different though.  Try eliminating one product at least (Pantene) and replace with a better moisturizer.  See if that makes a difference. Good luck!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TwinkletOes23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2005 at 4:51pm

ok i just washed my hair and this is what i used ok i started by using the rest of the sample i had of dove intense moisture shampoo and conditioner although the conditoner has cerytol alcohol (is that a bad thing) well then i used the suave three minute conditoner. I didnt use the shampoo my salonist gave me this time because the conditioner   has mineral oil in it (why do companies always but mineral oil in shampoo thats ment for  and you guys said mineral oil was bad(why do companies always put mineral oil in shampoo ment for relaxed hair sigh) anywho now im going to put the mango butter on it and my thermasilk leave in conditoner and then  roll it up with sponge rollers wrapped in satin let it air dry about 80 percent then with the rollers still in  spray it lightly with V05 heat tamer then blow dry it on low until its dry.Then im going to put my flat iron setting  on 3 and flat iron it out just enough to smooth it.Then when im done i will put just a little herbal essence smoothing creme just a little bit and a little shock serum just a little just to give it a little shine.

so how does this sound feel free to tell me if i have done something wrong

ps threw that pantene stuff in the trash and stomped on it lol

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic