Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Hair breakage

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Sistaslick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sistaslick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 18 2005 at 1:42pm

when was the last time you deep conditioned your hair?  I would work on moisture before I'd go the protein route-- especially since your products seem to contain a bit of protein already.

You can try Neutragena Triple Moisture Silk Touch Leave In---- Infusium has more protein than you really need right now.  NTM control frizz, leaves your hair soft, has UV filters...its great! and smells good too

Edited by Sistaslick
TwinkletOes23 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TwinkletOes23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 18 2005 at 1:37pm

um she relaxed my hair but it didnt take (she was wayyyy to slow applying it) so i started burning and it didnt take so she said come back in two weeks we did and she relaxed my hair again and it still didnt take and my hair started breaking off BADDDDDD

what kind of serum should i use should i get a protein treatment if so what kind nexxus infusium 23 what plz help :(

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sistaslick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 18 2005 at 1:34pm
oh, and exactly what type of double process did you do?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sistaslick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 18 2005 at 1:32pm

Originally posted by TwinkletOes23 TwinkletOes23 wrote:

ok i use this stuff my stylist recommended called silk 2 as far as every day regimine i wash my hair every five days (once a week) i use herbal essence smoothing creme  ,herbal essence pomade(only when im pulling my hair back or there r loose hairs flying around,thermasilk straightening gel (it contains no alcohol that i have seen only silk proteins and amino acids???), pantene relaxed and natural moisturizing creme and brilliant brunette shine shock serum. Ive stopped brushing while its been wet now i wash it roll it with sponge rollers wrapped in satin and let it air dry 80 percent then with the rollers in blow dry on a low setting so that its dry 90 percent then i flat iron on any where from 1 to 5 at the highest (five when its getting close to time for a relaxer). Like i said i hate bonnets and head wraps one they look ugly two they end up on the other side of the bed by morning so i bought a satin pillow case(although my stylist says it wont keep my style in place but its too short to wrap so in the morning after i wake up i put on a head wrap to keep my hair from frizzing while i shower then i let my hair cool after the shower...i spray thermasilk leave in conditioning on then i roll my hair for about 30 min i brush it put the herbal essence smoothing creme on it,the brillant brunette shock serum and then i get ready to go. I just dont get what im doing wrong i mean before i flat iron i use VO5 heat tamer stuff it contains no alcohol (ive researched the ingredients). Im at my wits end. My hair didnt start breaking bad until i went to the Jc pennys salon and got a double process ( i know should have  known better but most of all the stylist should have known better) so left there and started going to my current stylist and she cut all the damaged parts off and it grew a little .....so she asked what products do i use and i told her pantene relaxed and natural and she said its too drying for my hair because those companies dont know what blk women need after they have a relaxer so i started to use what she recommended which is silk 2 she said my ends looked torn even the shortest pieces so i revamped my routine and i still see breakage is because im taking birth control (yasmin 32) i just dont get it please help im writing this through tears ~cries~ 

Hmmm maybe you should try stepping up the deep conditioning and moisturizing.  I don't see where you mentioned a daily moisturizer, and I'm thinking the products you mentioned (the herbal essences smoothing creme, pantene moisturizing creme, brilliant brunette, thermasilk) are protein heavy.  Protein is good, but you have to balance it out with moisture.  I would avoid the holding products and protein leave in's for a few weeks to restore the moisture balance.

Also the pantene moisturizing creme-- is this the oil moisturizer?  If so, you need to chunk this ASAP.  That stuff contains mineral oil AND petrolatum-- and that is starving your hair of the moisture it really needs.  I suggest trying a waterbased moisturizer w/o the mineral oil and petrolatum--like S-Curl no drip, Hollywood beauty carrot oil, ORS olive oil, Cantu Shea Butter Moisturizer . . .etc.

You may also want to avoid direct heat until you can get your breakage under control.  Heat protectants help a tremendous amount, but they arent 100%-- especially if your hair is already kinda weak from other things you are doing to it.  HTH

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TwinkletOes23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 18 2005 at 1:31pm

Quote : Brillant Brunette serum has cones in it.

hmmm never thought of that is it bad for your hair i like it because it give the illusion of shine to my hair is there another type of serum i should use

Pokahontas View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pokahontas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 18 2005 at 1:25pm

Well, it dosen't really sound like you're doing anything dramatically wrong.  That double process was the only thing that worried me.  Did you have a relaxer put over another chemical that was already in your hair?  This could be what is causing some of your breakage.  Do you get trims regularly?  If not, you may want to be sure to do that.

As far as the Pantene creme and the Brunette serum.....they may be causing a build up on your hair and preventing moisture from getting in because the Pantene creme has mineral oil in it I think and I'm pretty sure the Brillant Brunette serum has cones in it.  You might want to do a apple cider vinegar rinse to clarify your hair, then shampoo and do a protein treatment (I use Ion or Nutress hair) then follow up with a deep conditioning treatment to put the moisture back in your hair......I use Lekair Cholesterol Plus or Dove Intense moisture.

I  hope that helps a little.  I'm sure the other ladies will have more suggestions that will help you also. 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TwinkletOes23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 18 2005 at 1:05pm
ok i use this stuff my stylist recommended called silk 2 as far as every day regimine i wash my hair every five days (once a week) i use herbal essence smoothing creme  ,herbal essence pomade(only when im pulling my hair back or there r loose hairs flying around,thermasilk straightening gel (it contains no alcohol that i have seen only silk proteins and amino acids???), pantene relaxed and natural moisturizing creme and brilliant brunette shine shock serum. Ive stopped brushing while its been wet now i wash it roll it with sponge rollers wrapped in satin and let it air dry 80 percent then with the rollers in blow dry on a low setting so that its dry 90 percent then i flat iron on any where from 1 to 5 at the highest (five when its getting close to time for a relaxer). Like i said i hate bonnets and head wraps one they look ugly two they end up on the other side of the bed by morning so i bought a satin pillow case(although my stylist says it wont keep my style in place but its too short to wrap so in the morning after i wake up i put on a head wrap to keep my hair from frizzing while i shower then i let my hair cool after the shower...i spray thermasilk leave in conditioning on then i roll my hair for about 30 min i brush it put the herbal essence smoothing creme on it,the brillant brunette shock serum and then i get ready to go. I just dont get what im doing wrong i mean before i flat iron i use VO5 heat tamer stuff it contains no alcohol (ive researched the ingredients). Im at my wits end. My hair didnt start breaking bad until i went to the Jc pennys salon and got a double process ( i know should have  known better but most of all the stylist should have known better) so left there and started going to my current stylist and she cut all the damaged parts off and it grew a little .....so she asked what products do i use and i told her pantene relaxed and natural and she said its too drying for my hair because those companies dont know what blk women need after they have a relaxer so i started to use what she recommended which is silk 2 she said my ends looked torn even the shortest pieces so i revamped my routine and i still see breakage is because im taking birth control (yasmin 32) i just dont get it please help im writing this through tears ~cries~ 
Pokahontas View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pokahontas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 18 2005 at 12:38pm
.....yes, fill us in on your regimine so we can better help you.  Do you relax, heat style?  I doubt if the satin pillow case is causing you breakage.  What products do you use as far as shampoo, conditioner, oils and moisturizers?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sistaslick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 18 2005 at 11:35am

what else are you doing in your regimen as far as styling, heat, moisturizing, washing.... products, etc?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TwinkletOes23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 18 2005 at 11:22am
Um i have a little hair breakage i dont tie my hair up at night because the bonnet or hair tie ends up on the other side of the bed so i bought a satin pillow but y hair is still breaking is it because of the satain pillow ot is it because i use the pantene relaxed and natural moisturizing creme or something else
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic