Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

How do they do that..

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Dottie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dottie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: How do they do that..
    Posted: November 25 2005 at 1:14pm
I just got back from Hawaii and I relized that everyone had LONG, STRONG, hair. How in world did everyone in the state of Hawaii get the same hair doo?  what shampoo, condition, oils, majic potion or was it in the water...

If you live in Hawaii and is blessed with this hair -please share.

Thanx
Dottie
Dottie
Vicky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vicky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 25 2005 at 1:23pm
Im guessing no haircoloring, no blow-drying, and some local recepie for conditioners 
Honestly i don't know, but id like to know the secret
gossipqueen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gossipqueen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 25 2005 at 2:44pm
I think it has something to do with genetics
juri View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote juri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 26 2005 at 3:09am
Hi! I've lived in Hawaii my entire life and since deciding to grow out my hair, I have noticed how prevalent long hair is. I can't speak for every long haired person in the state, but there are some possible reasons why so many people have long/strong hair.

1. Genetics: the majority of the population is of Asian or Polynesian descent so perhaps their hair can withstand more abuse.
2. Soft water: we don't have to deal with the problems hard water can cause
3. Good weather: we don't really have to worry about protecting our hair from extreme cold (but we should protect our hair from the sun)
4. Culture: having long hair seems to be more acceptable here. If you have hip length hair or longer, people will probably assume you do hula
5. Benign neglect (this probably only applies to a few people)

But people do abuse their hair. For example, many many people color treat their hair and/or heat style it, but don't deep condition. I know I've seen more than my share of people with chemically treated hair that could use a good conditioner.

Sorry for such a long post. I wish I could say that there's a magic pill or treatment we all use, but alas, there isn't. HTH

ETA: Dottie--On behalf of the other long haired people in my state, thank you for the hair compliment!

Edited by juri
AnaisSatin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AnaisSatin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 26 2005 at 1:09pm

JURI ! Heehee, glad to see you've joined here. (((hug)))

Anais

my LJ, 40 inches long
juri View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote juri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 26 2005 at 4:19pm
*waves* Hi, Anais! Yeah, I think this is the third hair forum I've joined. Eeek! ^_^

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AnaisSatin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 27 2005 at 2:04am
It gets addictive after awhile. I joined at least four, but I cut down to my favorites....  heehee
my LJ, 40 inches long
Dottie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dottie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 27 2005 at 1:30pm
Thanx Juri

Dottie
Dottie
DaveDecker View Drop Down
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveDecker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 27 2005 at 4:58pm
Welcome Juri!  Thanks for sharing your insight into Hawaiian secrets of hair success.

(glad to hear we made the cut, Anais )
juri View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote juri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 28 2005 at 1:14am
Anais--I agree, it can be addictive. I'd better not join anymore hair related forums or else I'll never get off the computer. lol

Dottie--You're welcome! But sorry I didn't have any hair growing secrets to divulge.

Dave--Thank you for the welcome! I know you must hear this a lot, but your hair is awe-inspiring!
cmesweet View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cmesweet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 29 2005 at 1:24am

Originally posted by juri juri wrote:

Hi! I've lived in Hawaii my entire life and since deciding to grow out my hair, I have noticed how prevalent long hair is. I can't speak for every long haired person in the state, but there are some possible reasons why so many people have long/strong hair.

1. Genetics: the majority of the population is of Asian or Polynesian descent so perhaps their hair can withstand more abuse.
2. Soft water: we don't have to deal with the problems hard water can cause
3. Good weather: we don't really have to worry about protecting our hair from extreme cold (but we should protect our hair from the sun)
4. Culture: having long hair seems to be more acceptable here. If you have hip length hair or longer, people will probably assume you do hula
5. Benign neglect (this probably only applies to a few people)

But people do abuse their hair. For example, many many people color treat their hair and/or heat style it, but don't deep condition. I know I've seen more than my share of people with chemically treated hair that could use a good conditioner.

Sorry for such a long post. I wish I could say that there's a magic pill or treatment we all use, but alas, there isn't. HTH

ETA: Dottie--On behalf of the other long haired people in my state, thank you for the hair compliment!

I agree with this...also, I lived in Hawaii for a several months doing an internshp. Everyone there do not have long healthy hair, yes SOME do just like here...but many of the younger girls cut, dye/bleach and straighten their hair. 

Anyways...I just wanted to add that many people in Hawaii...I was on several islands eat alot of Fish, i'm not talking about cooked in the oven fish...its cooked in lime juice.  They also eat alot of POI, which is a grey paste I think it's made from bread fruit...from what many of the residents told me.  Also, the majority of the women and men there (depends on what island...on the more traditonal islands, some men had  long hair)  wore their hair in buns and hair clamps which is a protective style. 

The weather is great there and depend on what side of the city (Honolulu, Island Oahu)  it rains more often...but it's not really rain its more like someone sprayed water in the air and you feel it 5 minutes later (that's on the big Island Hawaii, city Hilo)  So it really depends on what island you are on because they are all different when it comes to moisture but the food is basically the same.

Also...the majority of people there eat fresh fruit everyday...the school where I was placed had fresh pineapple everymorning...hand picked from the plantations. It is different from the pineapple here because fresh pineapple is not as sweet and the flesh is white in color...when we purchase it here it is more ripe with yellow flesh and a sweet taste to it.

Edited by cmesweet
Natural
BC May 9, 2004

juri View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote juri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 29 2005 at 2:33am
Thanks for that info, Cmesweet. I was starting to wonder if I'm the only active member who's lived in Hawaii. But, I just want to make one small correction; poi is made from taro, not breadfriut. ^^;;

You must have gone to a really nice school because the only time I had fresh pineapple was when I went to Dole cannery for a fieldtrip. lol
cmesweet View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cmesweet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 29 2005 at 7:11am

@ Juri..thanks for the correction.

Well I was placed at the University of Hawaii on both islands...it was during the summer. Many of us never had VERY FRESH PINEAPPLE which wasn't as sweet or white fleshed and the cooks at both schools along with some of the local students...told us that they eat fresh fruit everyday along with fresh flowers for a Lei.

Maybe it was a summer special for the Fresh pineapples. lol

Edited by cmesweet
Natural
BC May 9, 2004

juri View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote juri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 01 2005 at 11:39pm
*off topic*

Sorry about correcting you, but if you're ever on a game show and need to know what poi is made of, I want you to have the right answer and win.

I went to UH too...ack, they did serve fresh pineapples in the cafeteria! Hello. *rolls eyes at self*
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveDecker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 12 2005 at 7:36pm

Dave--Thank you for the welcome! I know you must hear this a lot, but your hair is awe-inspiring!

Hi Juri, and belated thanks for your compliment!

This talk about fresh pineapples has me wanting to share my own boring little story.  I never really liked pineapple, fresh or canned, until I had some in Hawaii.  Wow, I could have eaten it for an entire meal!  (But there was other yummy fruit and fish to eat...).

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AnaisSatin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 12 2005 at 7:38pm

Daaaave! Your sig is fantastic!

my LJ, 40 inches long
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveDecker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 12 2005 at 10:09pm
Thank you, Anais!  So is yours!

Edited by DaveDecker
juri View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote juri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 13 2005 at 9:50pm
Originally posted by DaveDecker DaveDecker wrote:

Hi Juri, and belated thanks for your compliment!

This talk about fresh pineapples has me wanting to share my own boring little story.  I never really liked pineapple, fresh or canned, until I had some in Hawaii.  Wow, I could have eaten it for an entire meal!  (But there was other yummy fruit and fish to eat...).

You're welcome, Dave! BTW, you're new sig pic...WOW!

*lol* I had the opposite experience with pineapple. I used to like eating it, but when I went to a pineapple cannery, they gave each of us two huge chunks to try and a cup of pineapple juice. Being in the third grade and not knowing any better, I ate/drank everything, didn't rinse my mouth out afterward, and--for the rest of the day--felt like my mouth was slowly being burned. Needless to say, I've kind of avoided pineapples since then.

14.5/29.25/39
1b NC ii/iii
cmesweet View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cmesweet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 15 2005 at 1:57am

I actually craved pineapple when I left from Hawaii...there I was use to getting it morning, noon and evening.  *sigh* Those were the days

Juri u are on every forum I go too...wow!

Natural
BC May 9, 2004

Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveDecker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 15 2005 at 6:46pm

You're welcome, Dave! BTW, you're new sig pic...WOW!

*lol* I had the opposite experience with pineapple. I used to like eating it, but when I went to a pineapple cannery, they gave each of us two huge chunks to try and a cup of pineapple juice. Being in the third grade and not knowing any better, I ate/drank everything, didn't rinse my mouth out afterward, and--for the rest of the day--felt like my mouth was slowly being burned. Needless to say, I've kind of avoided pineapples since then.

Sometimes, water chasers are good!   (And thanks for the compliment!  )

Originally posted by cmesweet cmesweet wrote:

Juri u are on every forum I go too...wow!

And she's very welcome to be here, too!

Edited by DaveDecker
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic