Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

To cut or not to cut...that is the ???

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
baker46 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote baker46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: To cut or not to cut...that is the ???
    Posted: November 26 2005 at 10:24pm

OK...here's the deal---

I'm in the process of growing out my short, layered, straight hair. My ultimate goal is a nice, sleek chin-length bob. Right now my hair is in that "in-between" stage. It just sort of hangs there because my layers are growing out and I don't have any "body" any more. What I need to know is: do I just tough it out for a couple more months until it has a little more growth before I get started on the initial bob cut or should I get it cut now and give it the bob shape, which, unfortunately, will bring me back to short hair again???  I haven't had my hair cut since August so it has grown about 2"+. I hate to get it cut now because I'll lose most of what I've grown out, BUT it doesn't have any shape at this point.

I'd love some feed-back from anyone. I'm sure some of y'all have gone through this, too. Thanks... 

missrini View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote missrini Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 27 2005 at 3:44am

Well, if I had your hair goal, I would cut it into the bob shape now, but compromise a bit and leave some layers so that you don't have to go too short.  That way it will have something approaching the shape you want and you will enjoy it more as it grows (it's still going to be growing!).

Good luck! 

25 inches as at 1st Nov 06
Susan W View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Susan W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 27 2005 at 8:10am
I've seen lots of women I know go through the very short to bob stages. Usually they do it by getting only the bottom trimmed and letting the rest catch up as it grows, and this makes them look like they have stylish modern cuts as it grows instead of an inbetween stage thing.  Whether you get the bottom layer trimmed up to your ears, at chin length, or wherever the top layer is now is up to you and how you want it to look in the growing process. 

Alternately, if you don't want to cut any of it, try using gel and curling the ends upwards to give it shape and so you have one of those modern flippy styles.  You may like that enough that you can wait awhile longer before cutting anything.
Making metal barettes/concord clips hair safe, long hair style how to: http://alonghair.wordpress.com
baker46 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote baker46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 27 2005 at 4:01pm

Thanks for the great suggestions! I think I'll find a stylist that will get me started with the bob. I have a pic that I'll take so she can have an idea of what I want the "finished" look to be like. You're right, missrini, it will still be growing.:) BTW, missrini, I checked out the web for henna and have ordered a sample. I'm a little afraid to try it...I don't want orange or bright red hair!!...but I will borrow some hair from my hair brush and see what happens. Any suggestions for a first-time user of henna? I ususally use a medium golden brown from OTC and it gives my hair a nice deep brown with red highlights, which I love.

Susan...thanks for the suggestion. That's what I'm going to do...get the bottom cut and let the top catch up.

This is such a good group of people!! I enjoy visiting and reading everyone's trials and successes.

Edited by baker46
missrini View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote missrini Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 27 2005 at 8:55pm

OK.....(launching into "Henna-mode" again...stop reading now if you're getting sick of me already!!  )

You are doing the right thing by testing your hair first. If you don't want orange or bright red (both of which I kinda like btw!), then there are many things you can add that will tip the colour towards a more brown look.  I suggest going to the mixes section on the hennaforhair site and looking down the "reddish brown" or "darker brown" columns to see what other ppl have used.  Order a sample of Indigo while you're at it, you will probably need that too.  There is also a very helpful forum over there where you can ask us anything you're concerned about (as a first-time user) and you'll get loads of advice.

Good luck on your henna journey!!!  Trust me, you'll love it

25 inches as at 1st Nov 06
spud View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 27 2005 at 10:33pm
I've just recently cut my wifes hair into a short bob after she grew out a short pixie cut. We decided to cut the sides which had almost grown over her ears to mid-ear length and cut the back a little higher. The nape was cut short which gives her a nice weightline mid-nape. Its quite a daring bob cut but she was very pleased as she has a bobcut RIGHT NOW

Spud
baker46 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote baker46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 27 2005 at 10:54pm

Thanks, Rini...I did look at the formulas for those two columns. They were very helpful. I'll keep you posted on my "henna" adventure...if you don't mind. :)

Spud..sounds like a cute cut. My sides, which were cut around my ears with just wisps (sideburns!) but they have grown completely over my ears so I have a little to work with.

I'm looking forward to getting it cut...hopefully this week.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic