Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Best hairstyles for Transisitoners

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Jazmynsgrandma View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jazmynsgrandma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Best hairstyles for Transisitoners
    Posted: November 28 2005 at 12:41pm

Hi Ladies!

I would like some ideas from all you ladies that has transitioned from relaxed to natural and had hairstyles that worked well for you.  My hair is doing pretty well since I started and I have about 5 inches of new growth.  I would like to try some new styles and would really appreciate your input!

Thanks, ladies!!!

Sweet_Ambrosia View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sweet_Ambrosia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 28 2005 at 10:13pm
I'm currently transitioning, the styles that work for me are buns, braidouts, phony ponies, and braids.

Check out this site for more styling options: http://www.motowngirl.com/how_to.php

HTH~
*Transitioned Successfully (7-20-05~7-20-07)
*100 Natural~3c/4a
*Hair Goal: WSL *stretched/straighten* '08
missfro View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote missfro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 28 2005 at 11:00pm

@Jazmynsgrandma  wow 5inches of new growth , how long have you been transitioning ? 

my only transitioing style so far is the bun , but i will try twists , i would let you know how it goes if you are interested ...

Hair type: 4a or 3C<--transitioning
Hair length: 20"
goal:relaxer free healthy hair
Last relaxer: Sept 05

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jazmynsgrandma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 29 2005 at 8:39am

Thanks, sweet ambrosia for the information. It was very helpful

- Missfro- I've been transistioning since Sept. but I haven't had a touchup since June of this year.

princess8907 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote princess8907 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 29 2005 at 9:24am
Im transitioning, and I usually just presse my hair and pin it up in oil soaked elastics and a clip
4b-natural,shoulder blade length,hair goal of to my bra strap

Layla View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Layla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 29 2005 at 10:06am
Wow, Jazmynsgrandma, your hair does grow fast.
Type: 3c/4a Natural
Current Length: 6"
Goal: Healthy, tip of nose /neck/shoulder length hair.
BC: 02/08/06
Pokahontas View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pokahontas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 29 2005 at 10:13am

Hey Jaz.  Wow, 5 inches of new growth....sounds like you're off to a great start.  I don't know if this is the best way to transition because I didn't know any better at the time (no hair boards, just books and prayer) but I transitioned by just washing, protein treatments and deep conditioning every two weeks and flat ironing straight.  It was the easiest way for me to deal with the two textures. Luckily my transition went smoothly, no horror stories.  I was so glad to get that relaxed hair off.  

I've never had much luck with braid-outs but this would be a good option, as well as roller sets. Good luck with your transition!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jazmynsgrandma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 29 2005 at 11:15am
Originally posted by Pokahontas Pokahontas wrote:

Hey Jaz.  Wow, 5 inches of new growth....sounds like you're off to a great start.  I don't know if this is the best way to transition because I didn't know any better at the time (no hair boards, just books and prayer) but I transitioned by just washing, protein treatments and deep conditioning every two weeks and flat ironing straight.  It was the easiest way for me to deal with the two textures. Luckily my transition went smoothly, no horror stories.  I was so glad to get that relaxed hair off.  

I've never had much luck with braid-outs but this would be a good option, as well as roller sets. Good luck with your transition!

Yes, Poka...it does grow pretty fast.  I've been using the Viviscal tablets too, so I'm sure that is one of the biggest reasons why its growing the way it is.

I appreciate the info on the hairstyles you did while you were transitioning.  I know I can do it, it just seems like it's getting a little tougher now to get new styles instead of just pony's.

Thanks again.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jazmynsgrandma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 29 2005 at 11:16am

Originally posted by princess8907 princess8907 wrote:

Im transitioning, and I usually just presse my hair and pin it up in oil soaked elastics and a clip

Thanks a bunch for the info.  It should be very useful for me, i'm sure!

princess8907 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote princess8907 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 29 2005 at 11:20am
You're welcome...hope it helps

Edited by princess8907
4b-natural,shoulder blade length,hair goal of to my bra strap

Carlie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carlie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 01 2005 at 10:59pm
Braidouts are great but buns were the most convenient for me.
Vanity3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vanity3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2006 at 9:53pm

how long did you transition before you cut your hair?

Natural since March 2006

No "heat" challenge for Winter 08-09

public.fotki.com/Vanity3

keepitsimplesista.ning.com/profile/Vanity1920
cmesweet View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cmesweet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2006 at 3:26pm

I liked to do different flat twist styles

Let my hair with dry diffuser, while scrunching with gel and hair lotion

Wear french rolls

Flat twists in front and fake ponytail in back

Blow my h air out to look like a fro with a head band

I basically wore all kind of styles, but then the 2 textures didn't bother me much since I didn't relax often anyways.

Natural
BC May 9, 2004

Vanity3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vanity3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2006 at 3:40pm
I gotta new afro pony today, I'm excited, I'm putting pics in my fotki!
Natural since March 2006

No "heat" challenge for Winter 08-09

public.fotki.com/Vanity3

keepitsimplesista.ning.com/profile/Vanity1920
Pokahontas View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pokahontas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2006 at 3:42pm
Originally posted by Vanity3 Vanity3 wrote:

how long did you transition before you cut your hair?

Well since my hair was so long, even when it was relaxed and I cut the relaxer off so gradually (tiny trims every few months, lol) it took maybe 3 years but i'm not real sure because I didn't really keep track back then.  And plus it was weird because my relaxed hair wasn't much different than my natural hair, just a little less curl and more limp and lifeless.  It's funny because relaxers never seemed to "take" on my hair because my hair was still curly so I don't know why I kept getting them. 

Renata22 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Renata22 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2006 at 11:47pm

BRAIDOUTS, BRAIDOUTS, BRAIDOUTS!

Especially if the braids are medium sized cornrows. I used to do that. The trick is to find a good "holding" product that you would put on your hair before braiding and while it's wet.

I used GREASE. It holds great, but knowing what I know now, I wouldn't recommend it. Shealoe and a little setting lotion may work better.

Also, keep in mind that the natural portion of your hair will curl better than the relaxed portion.

Hair type: who knows?
Length: 23 inches as of 3/10/06
MY HAIR IS OFFICIALLY BRA STRAP LENGTH!!
Goal: Waist Length, which is only 30 inches so
ADVISE ME ON HOW TO GET JUST 7 MORE INCHES OF GROWTH!
Renee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Renee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2006 at 11:54pm
never transitioned but i believe its braid outs and twist outs
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic