Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

boar bristle brushes-a question

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
LadyFrog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LadyFrog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: boar bristle brushes-a question
    Posted: November 29 2005 at 11:40am
Are they really made of bristles from a boar? If so, I presume the pig has to be killed to obtain the bristles? I am interested to know as if so, I know I will never buy one and there's no point even thinking about it. 

28.02.06 34 inches
Photos
Lifes a grave. Dig it.
-Wednesday 13
Hellfrozeover View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hellfrozeover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 29 2005 at 11:44am

Humans don't have to be killed to cut their hair if you see where I'm going! I assume it's the same with the boars although I'm not sure how they get them.

AnaisSatin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AnaisSatin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 29 2005 at 4:07pm

As far as I know, boar-bristle harvesting is quite humane. It's real boar hair if it smells like WET DOG when you get the bristles wet.  

Anais

my LJ, 40 inches long
Hellfrozeover View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hellfrozeover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 29 2005 at 4:21pm
Do you need to wash the bristles and if so do you need to treat them nicely like you would your own hair? I'm planning on getting one and I don't want it to molt in two weeks.

Edited by Hellfrozeover
AnaisSatin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AnaisSatin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 30 2005 at 1:15am

BBB's shouldn't be washed often, I don't think. It really depends on what gunk you're getting on it. Leave-in conditioners, etc. eventually build up on the BBB as well as your hair. I guess they should be washed when they're icky, but not otherwise.

HTH
Anais

my LJ, 40 inches long
LadyFrog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LadyFrog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 30 2005 at 11:10am
thank you

28.02.06 34 inches
Photos
Lifes a grave. Dig it.
-Wednesday 13
strawberryfine View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote strawberryfine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 03 2005 at 1:04pm

I read somewhere that there are "firstcut" boar bristles that have the tapered ends and these are a little more expensive than second or blunt cut boar bristles, so I am assuming that the pig doesn't require killing unless he is very uncooperative during the haircut, at which point he might become bacon, and if he did, it would be a shame to just throw away the bristles.  Waste not, want not.

I am an animal lover myself although it may not sound like it.

SF

strawberryfine
2aFii
12/25.5"/terminal length after reaching "small of my back length"
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic