Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Sweat and hair

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
SpecialKitty View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SpecialKitty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Sweat and hair
    Posted: December 12 2005 at 11:01pm

So, I exercise every day, and I drink a lot of water. Which means I do sweat. I've been trying to only "wash" my hair 1-2 times a week with shampoo and conditioner. The other days should I just let the sweat dry and live with the itchies, or should I use water only and rinse it out, or ???? Shampooing every day is death to my hair (I am 2a,m,ii)Any suggestions most welcome, thanks in advance.

Susan W View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Susan W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 13 2005 at 9:30am
Do you use dilute shampoo?  It might help "gentilize" it.  I'd rinse it with water at least if it was itchy.  
Making metal barettes/concord clips hair safe, long hair style how to: http://alonghair.wordpress.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SpecialKitty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 13 2005 at 9:47am

Hi Susan, yes my shampoo is diluted. I'm only using it 2 times a week....Thanks for the info!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SpecialKitty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 13 2005 at 10:03am
Forgot to ask.....is sweat bad for hair?
AnaisSatin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AnaisSatin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 13 2005 at 5:58pm

Possibly. But people sweat all the time and it doesn't seem to phase hair at all. The only concern I'd have is the sweat "transferring" hair products such as conditioner onto your skin, and the product residue could potentially clog pores-- especially on the forehead or hairline.

Hope this helps
Anais

my LJ, 40 inches long

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SpecialKitty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 13 2005 at 8:21pm

Thanks Anais. I think I'll look at the "water only" posts from a few weeks back and see if that works for me. I really don't want to shampoo every day if I can avoid it.

AggiePam View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AggiePam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 20 2005 at 10:29pm

I've always wondered the same thing. My hair was real short for a while & I enjoyed washing my hair everyday after working out. Now that it's growing longer again (shoulder length), I'm encountering this issue again! Sure, it's easy to say "wash it, or even wet it everyday". But with thick, long hair, it's as time-consuming as it is damaging. I've heard about "dry" shampoos, but I've never been able to find one. Has anyone heard of or had success with them?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SpecialKitty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 21 2005 at 2:04pm

All I've heard about the dry shampoos is that if you have dark hair you can sometimes see the powder... As for the sweat issue, I think I will just rinse out my hair well after a workout session and if absolutely necessary use a very small amount of diluted  shampoo. I will post back and let the forum know if this method is working. I'd be interested to know what other active excercisers do with their hair....

cmesweet View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cmesweet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 21 2005 at 9:44pm
On that days that I exercise I just rinse with water, until my actual wash day arrives...then I use the shampoo. It really helps and cuts down on dryness/itchiness.
Natural
BC May 9, 2004

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SpecialKitty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 21 2005 at 11:34pm
Great to know, Cmesweet! I'm going to try this also. How long is your hair? When you exercise, how do you wear it? Thanks again.
cmesweet View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cmesweet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 22 2005 at 10:47am
My hair appears to be shoulder length...but I have tight curls so in acctuality it is longer a lil longer thanshoulder length.  I wear my hair pulled back in a ponytail/bun.
Natural
BC May 9, 2004

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SpecialKitty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 22 2005 at 10:49am
Oh, BTW, good luck with the no sugar thing. You can do it - and I'm going to try also!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic