Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Long Hair over 40

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
UP Lisa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UP Lisa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2006 at 9:42am

Hello Everyone!  I'm 45, and started growing mine out at 42.  Haven't had it this length since I was a teenager.  It seems to take forever to grow, but actually I think it's growing as fast as it ever did.

I don't intend to make my age be a factor in this.  I've always loved long hair, and I'm going to have it before I'm dead.

Lisa
RachelZ3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RachelZ3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2006 at 10:43am
I'm 45 - and I aint cutting it!!!!

2c M ii
~*~Like Dolly Parton said: I love it when people call me a "dumb blonde" because I know I am not dumb and I know I am not blonde.~*~
SpecialKitty View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SpecialKitty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2006 at 11:39am
UP Lisa, how long is your hair? How long did it take to grow (from what original length)? Just curious, as I am 41 and starting to grow mine. Also, what type of hair do you have? Thanks!!
GearMaven View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GearMaven Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2007 at 4:41pm
As a newbie, I am so grateful to have found this forum and this thread! For so long, family have been telling me to keep my hair short when I LOVE long hair since having it midback length when young. I must admit that I really didn't expend the effort to care for it well when it was long in the past. You know, lots of "mouse tail" remarks for this very fine hair.

So delighted to find folks 40+ with long hair, as I'm 49. While I do have the dreaded "long face" (oh! oh!), I'm hoping your advice here will help me care for my hair so that I can grow it to comfortable braiding length. I'm just at shoulder length but layered shorter throughout. So much work to do.

Would love to see some pics of the greying or silver hair, as I'm still coloring my hair blonde, like my high school natural color (I know, I know!) Thankfully, I'm noticing much more grey than light brown in new growth, so color very seldom now. I'm actually liking the grey touches at my ears too. Please post some photos of those beautiful heads of graying hair!
UP Lisa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UP Lisa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 05 2007 at 7:11am
Hi.  My hair is past BSL, heading for waist!!!  It is baby-fine and slightly wavy.  It is a dark golden blond that looks red in outdoor photos.

Lisa
Lisa
Alisa06 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alisa06 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 05 2007 at 8:50am
I believe that older ladies ( not that you are old, just in general) with long hair are so stunning and elegant looking!Thumbs%20Up
 I was at costco a few weeks ago and saw a lady there with mostly gray hair with blonde ends, that had hair to her upper thighs. I could not keep from looking at her. I was going to go compliment her but she walked off. I asked my husband if he has seen her and he said ,"How could I have mised her, it was gorgeous!"
IMo That is going to be me some day. I am going to be 30 this month,so in ten years, WOW it could be so much longer!
Oh, I have a square-ish face and I am always getting compliments about my hair. I don't think face shape has anything to do with having long hair.
Alisa06
2c-3a ciii
I want my hair back!!!
Kitty Kat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kitty Kat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 05 2007 at 5:12pm
Wow! I missed this topic! I hijacked one of Bob's postings earlier to ask this very question. I've had long and short hair. The past few years it's been around shoulder length. Last year I decided to grow it longer again. It's almost BSL and I'm 45. Every once in awhile it creeps into my mind that I "shouldn't have long hair." But as I said before, with age comes self assurance and I really don't care what anyone else thinks. I was watching some after-awards show where stylists were critiquing the stars at the show...someone who had their hair up was too severe, someone that had their hair down was too overwhelmed by hair...These women looked stunning to me. You know, it's only someone's opinion. It doesn't make it right. Don't you love makeovers? The first thing they go for is to chop off the hair. I must admit I'm still having a hard time with the gray issue. I do dye my hair right now. I don't have much gray but my hair is very dark so those little grays just pop right out! I just dye it my natural color. It's nice to know all you 40 and 50-something folks are out there! We can always come here for support.
GearMaven View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GearMaven Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 05 2007 at 6:36pm
Originally posted by Kitty Kat Kitty Kat wrote:

Don't you love makeovers? The first thing they go for is to chop off the hair.
Oh, my gosh! You are so right! I'm watching  Monday's Oprah right now about aging well, and every single makeover so far, they have chopped off the hair! Aaaaaggggghhh! I'm getting tired of writing to every TV/news message board about these mad stylists attacking women's hair.
UP Lisa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UP Lisa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2007 at 7:32am
I'm lucky, I guess.  I really don't have any gray, yet.  And when I do, it won't show very much with my hair color.
Lisa
Alisa06 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alisa06 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2007 at 8:36am
Mabye its because I don't have alot of grey yet, but I like the ones I have. I will be 30  this month, so I know  I have a ways to go, but I already have quite a few from my temple up. I have really dark hair, and it is coming in silvery so you can see it really well. I guess I figure that I have earned them.Besides,if I am going to go silver, I think it will be great! My great grandma had silver hair and I thought it was gorgeous.

Edited by Alisa06 - February 06 2007 at 8:37am
Alisa06
2c-3a ciii
I want my hair back!!!
hairbraider View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hairbraider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2007 at 11:03am
Originally posted by Alisa06 Alisa06 wrote:

I have really dark hair, and it is coming in silvery so you can see it really well. I guess I figure that I have earned them.

Me too!  I homeschooled a girl for 2 years while she was in 10th and 11th grade.  I teased her that she was the reason for my gray hair.  (I honestly believe some of it was from stress)

I've got a little streak of silver to the side of my crown.  In that place it stays hidden pretty well, so I'm ok with it.  Though I've been noticing one here and there on top of my head.  I think the thing that bothers me most is that those silver hairs seem to be alot more coarse than my other hair.

p.s. I'm 26 years old
sarah
40 inches
did henna for the first time
click here to go to My Hair Space
Alisa06 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alisa06 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2007 at 2:35pm
Mine are alot more coarse also, and I already have very coarse hair.ugh!I found one the other day that ran most of my length. I told my husband that you could see how long it had benn since I last died my hair.
Homeschooling, Wow! that is hard work. I always wanted to but my husdband doesn't think I could handle it with three kids.
Alisa06
2c-3a ciii
I want my hair back!!!
Pkj049 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pkj049 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2007 at 5:32pm
Well, I am definitely over 40 (not stating how much over 40), and I have been growing my hair out for about 6 years. It was in layers, but I have been trying to achieve a more single-layer look for about 1 year. I recently decided I had to make a decision where I was going with my hair. At the longest layer, I was past BSL and on my way to waist length. I have tried numerous updos on several long hair sites, but I have finally come to the conclusion that I don't have the same type of hair used in most of those styles. No matter how I dry, style, oil or condition, I have thick, heavy hair. Lately, I have been extremely dissatified with how my hair looks in the mirror. I have been pondering for weeks about getting a cut. My husband actually told me to ponder it longer just to make sure. Today, I actually took the long step forward. I had about 6 inches cut from the length. It is close to one length now, and it is still a good length to work with.
I definitely think long hair on over 40 is okay, but it has to work with your lifestyle and of course with your hairtype. Extreme long hair is not for me in this stage of my life. I am satisfied with this length.
2bMiii
Kitty Kat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kitty Kat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2007 at 5:32am
PKJ - I know what you mean. I doubt that I would let mine get past BSL. My hair is very heavy too and hard to do a lot of the styles. But at this length, I do manage a lot of different hairstyles...french braids, updos, using barrettes, etc. I agree about long hair working with your lifestyle and hair type. That IS a fear of mine. I don't want long hair just for the sake of long hair. I want it to look nice. I think it does. As I've said before, when we get with today's technology and finally get a digital camera, I'll put a pix on here and you guys can give me your honest opinions.

Alisa and Hairbraider - I like to hear that people actually like and feel proud of their gray hairs. Maybe that will help me accept them!! But I also agree that they are definitely a different texture and I don't like that either!! My hair is very coarse too Alisa. And the grays are coarser and they just pop right out there!!!
Susan W View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Susan W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2007 at 6:54am
I wonder why gray hair is viewed the way it is - why does everyone think they absolutely have no choice but to cover it?  I can think of things I heard when I was little on television, a movie where someone went gray and their daughter said "aren't you going to do something about that?" and tons of commercials that told you that you absolutely had to hide it and made life look good for you if you did (but those shouldn't count, they are only trying to sell hair dye!). 

Gray is a natural part of all of our lives, and I don't see why something that happens to everyone should be viewed as so unacceptable.  I think its another case of companies trying to force their views on us to make us buy their product, the same as those makeover shows' stylists telling us we need short hair so we frequent salons and give them business.  I think the way gray is negatively viewed is sad really.  Gray should be viewed as the earned experience and wisdom it truly represents.

Edited to add:  I don't mean to be harsh on anyone's choice to cover them, if you want to, go for it!  I just mean so many people here seem to want to stop covering them but feel they can't or shouldn't, and that's what I think is a problem.  I know mine will grow in a zig zaggy texture just like my brothers, so they will look different than the rest of my hair too.  So, even if I change their color, they will still effect my appearance, so I may as well leave them.

Edited by Susan W - February 07 2007 at 6:56am
Making metal barettes/concord clips hair safe, long hair style how to: http://alonghair.wordpress.com
Pkj049 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pkj049 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2007 at 9:36am
Susan, I know what you mean about society judging us for growing older. Youth is viewed as hip and generally desired by most people. Look at surveys for example--see how they bundle age groups. The first time I was asked to check the age bracket of 45-60 years I almost had a stroke. I was truely appalled, but I shouldn't have thought that. Society has trained us to "hate our age".

I recently went on vacation with a group of people from my husband's work. They spent the majority of their time acting like it was a college frat party. I can understand having a good time, but it hit me that they were almost trying to "pretend" they were still young and hip. They couldn't see themself having fun without acting like some music video beer commercial. It was sort of pathetic.
2bMiii
Alisa06 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alisa06 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2007 at 1:37pm

Susan, I was just thinking that same thing when I saw a commercial last night for men's hair color. It put life in black and white for  a man who had gray hair, and was talking about the gray getting in the way of who you are.The suddenly, when he colored his hair, the world became color again.

My mom has died her hair for so long that she is about to miss, as she calls it, the salt and pepper time in her life.  No one peron is going to go gray in the same place or pattern as another. I believe that going gray is an experience that makes us all unique.
Alisa06
2c-3a ciii
I want my hair back!!!
Bob S View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2007 at 2:25pm
    PKJ, I think perhaps your last post spoke volumes. There *is* something disturbing about people pretending to be what they are not. Possibly, you yourself may have felt as if your BS length hair was an attempt to "fool" people, thus your dissatisfaction when looking in the mirror.
     I know that you have already cut 6", but really, when I see women over 40, and I know hundreds, with long, well-maintained hair, I simply see beauty. And the older a woman seems to be, the more I am impressed. They are not "kidding" anyone; they have instead rejected silly, arbitrary standards about how they *should* look at a certain age.
     Now, even though I think that length usually shaves years off a woman's appearance, a 40 year old woman can't look 20, and 60 can't appear 40. But..., the important thing is that many women *can* be stunning at any age, even at 80 and beyond, *and* long hair can be a big part of one's elegance throughout life. The beauty industry makes millions convincing women that this isn't true. But men know it is propaganda. Oh, my wife is 47 with hip length hair, and she had spikes 9 years ago. (lol) It's never too late!. God bless, Bob

Edited by Bob S - February 07 2007 at 2:27pm
Pkj049 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pkj049 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2007 at 6:10pm
Oh, don't get me wrong Bob--I love long hair on any age person. I'm just realized with my type hair (thick, heavy, wavy) that extreme long hair is not for me. I certainly don't preach one way or another. It just finally hit me I wasn't going to be able to do the things with my hair that I wanted to do. I can never just walk into a store and buy a cute, little hair accessory because it just won't work in my hair. In fact I probably should be some kind of quality control employee for a hair accessory company--"if it will work in my hair, it will work for anyone!"--slogan.

I certainly wasn't attempting to "fool" anyone with my hair length; at least, I don't think I was. To be honest, I can't really remember what I was thinking about 6 years ago when I start growing it out. I do know that trimming off 6 inches will be "easier" for me to secure in updos. In most categories, my hair would still be considered long; it just won't be considered extremely long. I'm okay with this fact since that is the most important fact in all of this discussion. BE HAPPY WITH YOURSELF!!!

I really don't think propaganda is directed at long-haired people. Most commercializing is directed to the youngster in all of us: "drink this beer to feel, act, and look young," "cover your gray hair to feel and look younger," "take this pill to loose your excess weight and look and feel young." Sorry to point this out to the rest of you guys, but the whole world is directed to the 20-30 something age group. I don't necessarily feel old, but I don't see too many people lining up to get gray highlights in their hair.
2bMiii
Alisa06 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alisa06 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2007 at 7:14pm
I also have extremely thick and wavy hair. I can not do most of the updos because it is to heavy. But for me, I can not do them weather my hair is waist length or BSL. Even when it was closer to my shoulders, I still could not put it up because I would just get headaches. I can not use the cute little clips, they just don't work, period. This is just a fact I have had to learn to deal with. For me, having long hair is more important than cute accesories. 
Alisa06
2c-3a ciii
I want my hair back!!!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic