Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Long Hair over 40

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
kmouse40 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kmouse40 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Long Hair over 40
    Posted: December 15 2005 at 3:15pm

Hello everyone!  I am new here and I just love your discussion board!

I am trying for the first time in years to grow my hair again (over 20 years or so).   I am 42 and a little unsure if long hair will make me look older.  What is everyone's opinion or experiences with that?  Also does long hair look better on certain face shapes?  I have a squarish shaped face and do not want it to look more square.   Thanks for your input.

Hug a child, love can change their life.
Hellfrozeover View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hellfrozeover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 15 2005 at 4:06pm
Go for it! If you have greys then be very careful if you chose to colour them. Rini knows a bit about henna. I've never understood this women over a certain age should chop off their hair rule.
gossipqueen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gossipqueen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 15 2005 at 5:51pm

Welcome kmouse40, I agree I think you should go for it. I don’t think that you have to be certain age to have long hair or to look good with long hair. I think anyone can look good with long hair if it’s taken care of and styled properly. The only long hair that I have seen that looked bad was on people who didn’t take care of their hair. Whatever you decide to do with it good luck.

DaveDecker View Drop Down
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveDecker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 15 2005 at 7:02pm
Welcome, kmouse!

I know plenty of people in their 40's and beyond who have long hair in good condition, and (although I may be biased) I think they all look great with long hair!  Face shape is a complete non-issue.

The whole "choose-a-hairstyle-and-length-to-compliment-your-face-shape " notion is dogma.  Ignore it.
Susan W View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Susan W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2005 at 7:51am
I agree, love what you've got!  You can always wear it up in elegant updos too, long hair gives you more options!

About long hair over ...any random age... first, it doesn't matter and you can and should have it any way you like it.  But also I've noticed more ads on tv and in magazines featuring women with long gray hair, so you'd be in style anyway.

Making metal barettes/concord clips hair safe, long hair style how to: http://alonghair.wordpress.com
Sugaree View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugaree Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2005 at 9:29am
Hi kmouse, welcome.

I found this picture of a lovely women (who appears to be over 40, who
knows though!) who wears her hair long. I think she looks really great, I'm
sure you will too if you decide to go long. I'm only 22, but when I get
older I plan to wear my hair long and natural (I'm already graying in some
spots!)

Sorry for the blurry pic! (you get the idea though)

Edited by Sugaree
Don't let the man get you down ~ me

1c MC iii Dark Brown, 22" Goal: Waist
kmouse40 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kmouse40 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2005 at 9:39am
Thank you so much!   I really appreciate all of your wisdom.  You have certainly encouraged me to go ahead and grow my hair out.  It's about shoulder length now, layered, with about a dozen grays.  I don't really mind the white/grays, I feel I have earned them and they can be a beautiful sign of wisdom.  I always give up in the awkward growing out layer stage but your discussion board and posts have already helped with tips on how to get past this.  Thanks again!
LadyFrog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LadyFrog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2005 at 12:48pm
I think longer hair can look gorgeous on older women (not that you're old!) although as the hair growth cycle gets shorter, you might not be able to grow it as long without the ends getting manked. Don't worry about a square face-to balance it you are supposed to have longer hair and avoid chin length bits-opt for a side fringe or something instead say the almighty style gurus in the glossys. 

28.02.06 34 inches
Photos
Lifes a grave. Dig it.
-Wednesday 13
Bob S View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2005 at 12:51pm
IMO, the BEST decision an over 40 woman can make is to grow her hair long. Virtually every woman looks stunning with length. Someone said that hair is a woman's richest ornament, and I fully agree. Love it and flaunt it, Kmouse! Blessings, Bob
Sunsailing View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sunsailing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 17 2005 at 8:29am

Hi kmouse 40

I'm with everyone else concerning hair length and age. (I happen to be your age...) I began growing mine 5 years ago and am glad that I did. This is the first time in my life that I've had hair longer than a few inches.

Obviously you have the desire to grow yours longer. Don't worry about what some people might say. There will always be someone who is willing to give you their opinion whether you asked for it or not . Just keep in mind that you'll also get positive comments too!

Sugarloaf View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarloaf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 24 2005 at 4:19am

Really interested to read all the comments here because they confirm what I have decided this year. I'm 50 but look ten years younger even on a bad day.  Luckily inherited good skin from both parents and try to keep in shape.  My hair was a short layered cut for decades.  Decided this year to stop the hair dyes and to grow it out.  I think I look even younger and much more feminine.

My face is also square and I think the long style balances it out and draws attention away from it.  I work with a lady who has a large face.  Her hair is almost waist length and natural grey and white.  Absolutely stunning!

My aim for 2006 is to finish growing out the leftovers of the dyed hair.  That will leave me with hair that is 50% dark brown and 50% chunky white stripes (all natural!).  I love it.  Then I'm going to grow it longer...definitely below the shoulders.  Believe me, that is longer than I've had it since I was about 15!

42 is NOT old!  I wish I'd grown my hair then. But I fell into the common trap of thinking that short hair was easier for a busy mum.  Thinking back, it was probably harder to keep in shape than long hair.

Jeep Girl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeep Girl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 24 2005 at 5:58am

Longtime lurker, seldom poster here!

Don't let the infamous "they" hold you back from doing what you want... It's not how old you are - it's doing what YOU want, that will make you happy!  Let your hair grow long - or cut it, if YOU don't like it.  I too am over 40 (well, barely - will be 41 in February) and my hair is down to the middle of my butt.  Do people comment on it? Sure, in a good way!  The negative comments have come only AFTER they find out how old I am - like Sugarloaf, I inherited something from my parents that make me look younger.  (Must be the acne, ha ha - thanks Mom!)  But seriously, try the long hair route if you want.  The only thing I've noticed is that my hair isn't growing quite as fast as when I was younger, so I am taking better care of it, because it takes longer to recover from mistakes.  At any length - take care of your hair, and it will take care of you! 

Jeep Girl
2a-2cFiii 38"
(still trying to figure out how to
merge long hair into the Jeep
lifestyle without looking like a total
dork)
DaveDecker View Drop Down
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveDecker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 24 2005 at 4:16pm
Greetings, Sugarloaf, and Jeep Girl!

Jeep Girl is so right!  Grow for it, Sugarloaf!  We'll give you all the support you want.

baker46 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote baker46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 24 2005 at 9:55pm

Sugarloaf...good for you!! I, too, am 50+ and have been blessed with excellent genes! Everyone thinks I'm at least 10 years younger. I also had short, layered hair for about 8 years (how did I get in that rut??) and decided in August to let it grow. This decision came about quite by accident because we relocated to another city and it was a while before I could get aquainted with people and find a good beautician. By that time, my hair had been growing out for 5 months, so I looked at myself and realized I was in a rut....and bored with my hair cut. I chose a bob style because my layers had grown out a lot. This cut gave me the shape I wanted. Now I can continue to grow it longer. My goal is shoulder length. Maybe I'm dating myself, but does anyone remember Jackie Kennedy? Look at how great she looked with her gorgeous, longer pageboy style...right up until she died. I think any "mature" woman can look classy with long hair if she has the right style. I'm so happy I found a great beautician that understood what I wanted...even before I told her!

BTW...Merry Christmas everyone!!!

kmouse40 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kmouse40 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 26 2005 at 10:09am

Thanks for all your encouragement!   Hey Jeep Girl!  When in February?  I am the 13th!  I don't feel old and I do get mistaken for someone younger (I have 4 teenagers and many times people think I am their older sister).  I didn't want to ruin that.  But you all have helped me understand that long hair is not a problem with age.  My 14 year old daughter has beautiful waist length hair and she refuses to cut it.  I just love it!  Sugarloaf, do you think you will grow it all one length, or have bangs, or what?  I am trying to decide.  Right now I am thinking a side fringe.  My sister has BSL hair with bangs and I don't want to copy her.  My daughter's is all one length.  My 18 year old daughter is growing hers out all one length and it is currently just past shoulder length.  Mine is at or about shoulder length with layers. Anyway, you guys are awesome and I love your pics of your beautiful hair!  

kmouse40 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kmouse40 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 26 2005 at 10:11am
Hey Baker46!  I remember Jackie Kennedy!  She was so elegant and beautiful.  That haircut was a signature of hers.  She would not have been the same without it!
duke View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote duke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 26 2005 at 11:57am

Nice hair, LadyFrog!

Go for it. It should not make you look older, more likely younger!

Sugarloaf View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarloaf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 28 2005 at 12:23am
Kmouse, my hair is already all one length apart from a small side fringe.  (I suppose bangs means "fringe"). It means something else where I come from!  It took me about 2 years to grow out the layers and I wouldn't go back. I need a fringe because I have a high forehead that looks better if it is softened a little.
Alayney View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alayney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2006 at 3:29am
I can appreciate that certain lengths and styles look good an people of certain ages and with certain face shapes; HOWEVER, I think a person should do what THEY like and want. My mom's hair looked SO NICE when it was long but some stylist told her one time that with her face shape she should keep her hair short so not she keeps it SHORT. It drives me crazy. I think she has gorgeous hair; sometimes I think these stylists tell you the opposite of the truth because they're either jealous or they want to take you down a notch. 
LongBraidz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LongBraidz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2006 at 12:13pm

Hi Everyone,

such an interesting topic and so close to home for me. I'am proud to say that I'am 44 year's old and growing out my hair. I gave up on all hair dyes and scissors. I have always marched to beat of my own drummer so I REFUSE to go the same direction as most females have taken when it comes to the ageing process with their hair! I will NEVER wear a short, permed hair style with that blueing junk in it. I have silver streaks against medium ash brown hair and I'am very comfortable with it. The streaks actually compliment my skin tone in the summer when I tan dark. Age is all about attitude....if you feel old then you look old.

"Forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair." ~Kahlil Gibran~
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic