Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Long Hair over 40

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Pkj049 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pkj049 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2007 at 8:07pm
Alisa, you go girl!! Good for you; you know what you want even with the obstacles. I also know what I want, and that entails hair that is now 6 inches shorter. I didn't make this decision because someone told me my hair was too long for my age (although my mom will usually tell me that I look better with shorter hair). I am not having any regrets right now; I am sure on my first bad-hair day (and it happens no matter how long--be honest) I will hate my hair. Right now in the honeymoon phase, I love the length.

Live long the confident person in all of us!!!
2bMiii
Kitty Kat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kitty Kat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2007 at 5:30am
It's our culture...just like the media constantly tells us we have to be thin. It's sad. We just have to learn to do the right thing for us and the heck with what society says.
Susan W View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Susan W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2007 at 6:53am
I agree, all the commercials are telling us we have to try to be younger, but they tell us that not only because they are playing on our desires to remember fondly our younger days, they also just want to sell their product and their using it as a tactic.  I don't think its right that people who just want to convince us to buy their product get to decide to perpetuate this idea.  After all, its the commercials we are constantly barraged with, and its those that we remember when we look in the mirror or think of "how we should be".  The rest of the media / fashion follows along with it, but I think this should change, as its really nothing more than age discrimination!  All people should be viewed as equals, older people should not be so discriminated against by the media so much.

Edited by Susan W - February 08 2007 at 6:54am
Making metal barettes/concord clips hair safe, long hair style how to: http://alonghair.wordpress.com
UP Lisa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UP Lisa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2007 at 6:55am
Funny, I always thought hair had to be thick and maybe wavy, to look good long.  Mine is so baby-fine, I never thought I could have it long and have it look good.

Lisa
2aFii
Lisa
Pkj049 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pkj049 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2007 at 9:20am
Personally, I have always wondered about the motivation that makes a person grow their hair extremely long. Sometimes I see the before and after pictures posted and think the person's hair looked healthier shorter. I have never looked routinely to see if that person had finer type of hair; maybe that is the case. Certainly, hair thins out as it grows longer (of course, I never could reach that length myself); so Lisa, you may have made an good observation. If someone has thin, fine hair, will it look good in extreme lengths no matter their age?
2bMiii
UP Lisa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UP Lisa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2007 at 10:03am
Well, I think if hair is thin, it is hard for it to look good long.  If it is fine and of a normal thickness, then it can look good if it is well cared for.  I am lucky that mine is not thin even though it is baby-fine.  I do have to be extremely gentle with it to keep it from breaking off and looking awful.  Luckily, I'm a patient person.
Lisa
Pkj049 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pkj049 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2007 at 10:36am
Well, if your hair is fine and normal thickness, you are lucky. You probably don't have to do too much with styling to make it look good. I have thick, wavy hair that requires a lot of handling to get it to look presentable. I have a lot of people compliment me on my hair, but they are usually people who have stick-straight hair. I guess it is one of those things where you envy what you don't have. I've always wanted straight hair, and straight hair people want wavy, curly hair.

I know someone who can wash their hair and not even do more than comb it out afterwards, and it will be perfect. I wish I could do that. Of course, as I have aged, I have noticed some changes (besides graying) in my hair. I don't remember my hair being as frizzy-prone back in the day as it is now, and back then, we had less products to control that kind of thing. Funny, now that I think about it.
2bMiii
UP Lisa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UP Lisa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2007 at 10:53am
Well, my hair has never been frizzy.  Does your hair tend to be dry?  Have you tried CO washing?
Lisa
Pkj049 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pkj049 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2007 at 11:21am
Of course it is dry, and I have tried everything out there. The best for me is less washing; in fact, the dirter my hair, the better it behaves. Whereas everyone here hates silicones, I love them for their ability to control my hair. I've tried the homemade products, but sorry to report, nothing works as well on my hair as the products sold in the stores except using honey with my conditioner rinse. Honey does actually make my hair softer, but it also makes it wavier. Wavier is not what I usually want. The things that work for me are the things I used in the past (like way past years).

The best thing about my hair is that it is so forgiving. Whereas you have to be gentle with your hair, I can be less careful, and it will not accumulate into damage.
2bMiii
UP Lisa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UP Lisa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2007 at 11:55am
I should try the honey, since I would like more wave in my hair.  Just wondering if you tried washing with conditioner, since it works well for lots of people.  I use silicones because my hair is impossibly tangly without them.
Lisa
Astarte View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Astarte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2007 at 12:00pm
I once had a female professor in her late fifties, with hair slightly below classic length.  She wore it in a single braid down her back every day - it was very inspirational to me; she was beautiful.
I think that long hair actually makes people (of any age, race, or gender) look younger.  The ability to grow it long is a sign of good health, and good health in old age is a sign of vitality.  So maybe they don't necessarily look younger, rather...they look like they are thriving, rather than withering away. 
It is also very beautiful that you can see someone's life in their hair almost...it has grown, day by day, with them.  Sort of like seeing the stump of a tree with many lines, it only makes it more fascinating. 
I'm sorry if this is veering off-topic, but it's the same with greying hair, in my opinion.  I can not explain why, but I've always thought that older women who dyed their grey hair only end up looking older. 
I fully intend on having a waist-length (or longer) silvery ash mane when I age.  (And my poor children will have to visit me at my nursing home every day to oil it and cut out my split ends and braid it....just kidding) :)
UP Lisa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UP Lisa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2007 at 12:26pm
That's what worries me - not being able to take care of it anymore.
Lisa
Pkj049 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pkj049 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2007 at 1:07pm
Yes Lisa, I have tried CO washing and just about everything else talked about on here. I have gotten great tips, but mostly the alternative washing methods just don't give me the results that I want. Most people who CO use lighter conditioners, and guess what, lighter conditioners are just a waste on my hair type. That is what I mean when I say "the usual advise on these sites do not work on my hair." I am the definitely the "anti" on everything usual.

Astarte, grey hair is one of those things that can be startling for someone. The problem with grey hairs is that they don't behave like your normal colored hair. They have a mind of their own, and sometimes stand out because they seem to want to show off or something. I choose right now to not cover the grey because with my red-brown color they almost look like hightlights. I could change my mind as they increase in numbers. I can remember thinking when I was younger that I wouldn't dye my hair due to greying, but you never know until you are faced with the fact. The other reason is that I don't like the upkeep involved with covering the grey. The less I can do to my hair the better I like it.

Then again, some may be wondering why I keep it long at all. Well, here rears up the lazy part of me: Long hair is still easier to manage than short hair!!!
With short hair, you have to wash and style much more except the really short styles. I like being able to pull my hair back into a pony or french braid it when I don't want to be bothered. The best thing about it is that the dirter it gets, the better the french braid thing works--easier to get it up and keep it up. So Viva the long hair woman in me even closing in 1/2 a century (oops, gave the age away--memory slips too).
2bMiii
UP Lisa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UP Lisa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2007 at 1:18pm
The light conditioner is just for washing.  You can use a heavier conditioner after.

Lisa
Lisa
Bob S View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2007 at 2:47pm

Wink Hi PKJ! Since you are happy with your decision, I'm happy! (lol) Your original posting sounded melancholy to me, and many women over 40 I've chatted with in person have betrayed plenty of insecurity about hair length. I'm glad you're among those who are confident in your hair choices.

I must say, though, as a guy who has been enamored of gorgeous hair on a women all my life, I've noticed that among the beauty industry's attempts to make women think they look younger, has been the message to *cut, cut, cut* to lift those age lines. I vehemently disagree that this strategy is successful, at least as it applies to most women. All I know is that the ladies with tresses earn "Wows" from me. And I've noticed that more and more women are thumbing their noses at the "experts", and growing long, at least in NE Pa! Cordially, Bob

Edited by Bob S - February 08 2007 at 2:48pm
Alisa06 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alisa06 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2007 at 3:03pm

I am an only girl in a family of 5 kids, and most of my cousins are male.All of them have expressed  to me that they love long hair on women. To them it states grace . Mabye that is why I love long hair, I grew up hearing how beautiful it is.
I believe that hair is beautiful no matter the texture, or thickness, if it is well taken of. I have seen waist length hair that screams at me that it has been tortured and it looks horible. If you are going to have long hair than I think you need to be kind to it.  
My mom also thinks I look better with shorter hair. She says it accents my face better, but she also loves how soft and silky it is.
I think it is really sad that women think they need to cut their hair as they age. 
Alisa06
2c-3a ciii
I want my hair back!!!
Pkj049 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pkj049 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2007 at 3:17pm
I had to go back and read my original posting to see what you were referring to, Bob. I can not see it myself. If I do sound anything, I think it is just resolved. Like I stated in further postings, I still have long hair; it just isn't extremely long any more. My decision to trim 6 inches was not due to pressure about my age. I was looking for a length that is more manageable for my lifestyle. I don't personally think long hair ages a person, but how they wear it can. I was struggling daily trying to style my longer hair.

In my opinion, most guys like longer hair on women anyway. Hasn't it always been the romantic look that guys most want? You know the "he-man" wrapping the hand in the long, flowing locks of your woman. Be honest. I would say that at least 7 out of 10 men surveyed would say they like longer hair on a woman. So the real question could be, do women grow their hair long in order to hold on to their youth?

Anyway, if I lived in NE Pa, I would want the longer hair just for warmth. It's so cold outside even in the southeast.
2bMiii
Kimbearly View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kimbearly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2007 at 3:44pm
I plan on growing my hair long forever and not cutting it.  I do get trims though because I can not stand raggy ends.  It takes me longer to have long hair but it is worth it in the end - no pun intended. Smile  I am 36 so I am getting to that 40 mark.  I love long hair on men and woman of all ages, but only if it is well taken care of.  It send shivers up my spine when I see long hair that is fried - that just screams YUCK to me.  I was just in my local natural store last night and saw a woman there in her 70's.  She had hair that must be down to her knees, but she had it braided and then wrapped on her head.  It looked beautiful and amazing.  What I loved was how it is gray for 75% of the braid but the ends were blond.  They say 40 is the start of the new sexy age and I agree! 

spelling edit

Edited by Kimbearly - February 08 2007 at 4:39pm
Kitty Kat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kitty Kat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2007 at 3:59pm
Who's from NE PA? That's where I am and you're right PKJ, my long hair is warm! My ears freeze when I put it up or in a french braid!!! Also PKJ wanted to agree with you that I'm one of the few that likes cones. Our hair must be similar. My hair is very forgiving also. It's almost BSL and I've yet to find a split end. I've really never found one in all my years. I don't abuse it but I use a hair dryer once in awhile and a curling iron sometimes.
Kitty Kat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kitty Kat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2007 at 4:01pm
Oh, I see Bob is from NE Pa. And forgive me...I'm in NW Pa!!!!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic