Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

flakes, flakes, flakes

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
tdouty View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tdouty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: flakes, flakes, flakes
    Posted: December 19 2005 at 8:01am
Jennifer has been having a terrible problem with flakes lately.  We thought that maybe the CO was doing it so we started trying shampoo again.  I hold the ends of her hair up as she washes and rinses her scalp so we don't wash the ends, but this hasn't helped much at all.  We were using the CO routine for several months without any problem and then the flakes started so we switched to using shampoo once in a while, thinking the CO was doing it.  I'm beginning to wonder if it has something to do with the water.  We do have a water softener, but I haven't added any salt to it now for about 6 months ... about when the flakes started.  We don't use ACV rinses because of the softener ... even though it isn't doing anything lately.  What are your thoughts?   Could the water have something to do with it?  Our water isn't extremely hard, but we do live in PA and as such have "harder" water than many parts of the country.  It's beginning to drive Jennifer crazy because she has to be careful how she does her hair so nobody sees the flakes.  

Edited by tdouty

1c.m.ii
36" as of January 14, 2008
trophywife View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trophywife Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 19 2005 at 8:20am

Are the flakes from a dry scalp?

If so, a deep-conditioning mask for the scalp might provide an effective short-term solution.  Rinsing the scalp with cold water and massaging the scalp can improve circulation, which might alleviate the condition too.  Using heated appliances will probably cause it to dry out more.  There could be a lack of essential fats (from foods like oily fish and nuts) in Jennifer's diet.  I expect you know all of this already, sorry not to be more helpful.

Could you also clarify what C.O. stands for?  (Sorry, not good with initials!)  Thanks.

Edited by trophywife
SpecialKitty View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SpecialKitty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 19 2005 at 11:19am
Hi there! I wonder if you could do a few weeks of washing with store bought purified water to rule out the water hardness issue? Sometimes you can buy large quantities of purified water at the grocery store or natural foods store. I used to live in a cabin that had terrible well water (lots of minerals) and the water was not good for my hair. Purified water seemed to help, and it wasn't that expensive.
tdouty View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tdouty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 19 2005 at 11:29am
Well, I'm going to get a couple bags of salt for the softener to see if that helps at all.  We were just curious what other's thoughts were.
AnaisSatin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AnaisSatin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 19 2005 at 2:59pm

Trophywife, CO stands for Conditioner-Only.

HTH
Anais

my LJ, 40 inches long

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trophywife Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 20 2005 at 6:13am
Originally posted by AnaisSatin AnaisSatin wrote:

Trophywife, CO stands for Conditioner-Only.

HTH
Anais

Thanks!  HTBH (happy to be helped).

DaveDecker View Drop Down
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveDecker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 24 2005 at 4:04pm
Originally posted by tdouty tdouty wrote:

Well, I'm going to get a couple bags of salt for the softener to see if that helps at all.  We were just curious what other's thoughts were.

So, did you get some salt for the softener?  And if so, have the flakes subsided
tdouty View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tdouty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2006 at 9:01am
We went and got some T-Gel conditioner.  I did some major scritching of her scalp with a  comb when we went to bed to loosen up the buildup.  In the morning, when we showered, I used the T-Gel conditioner on her scalp and let it set for about 5 minutes and then did the usual CO to her hair.  It seemed to clear up the problem right away.  The water softener is also functioning again, but I think the problem was more related to not scritching and loosening up the buildup on a regular basis.   

1c.m.ii

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trophywife Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 05 2006 at 6:24am

Did you use the T-Gel conditioner on dry or wet hair?

I am wondering whether that could work for me as I have got a slightly dry scalp around the hairline at the moment, (the combined result of cold weather, central heating, malnutrition and general stress).  There aren't really flakes, but it feels dry and tight in places.  I have tried moisturising scalp masks without noticing any improvements afterwards.  Should I try the T-Gel conditioner?  What about the shampoo?

Edited by trophywife

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trophywife Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 05 2006 at 6:25am

oops posted twice!

Edited by trophywife
tdouty View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tdouty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 05 2006 at 8:09am
We used just the conditioner since we use the Conditioner-Only cleansing method (most of the time) and we used it on wet hair.  We've been using teh T-Gel conditioner now about twice a week and it's been helping.  Jennifer's scalp is prone to dryness so it's something we have to deal with.  When we get neglectful of her scalp, the flakes reappear and then she can't do much with her hair because of not wanting anyone to see the flakes.  Anything at all with a part would reveal them.  T-Gel seems to be a good product so I'd think the shampoo would work well too, but we haven't tried it.

1c.m.ii

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trophywife Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 05 2006 at 9:59am
Thanks!  Might give T-Gel conditioner a go, if the dryness persists.  Thanks.
SpecialKitty View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SpecialKitty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 05 2006 at 12:09pm
Nice sig pic Tdouty!! Jennifer's hair is looking very long, beautiful, and shiny!
tdouty View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tdouty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 05 2006 at 12:31pm
Thanks for the compliment SpecialKitty.  I took this picture of her just last evening after taking her hair out of a braid.  I couldn't resist taking a picture so I could show her how great it looked  :-).
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic