Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

HELP! IS MY HAIR FALLING OUT?!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
JuMp_mAn_20 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JuMp_mAn_20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: HELP! IS MY HAIR FALLING OUT?!
    Posted: December 22 2005 at 12:03am

Okay to start off, im a 18 year old mixed male and have the multi-racial hair.  I recently started getting my hair in corn rows a little after sporting the curls.  My hair is about 3-5 inches long, and today after about a week of leaving my braids in I took them out today and I was shedding an outragous amount of hair, and I estimate about 30-50 strands (This is a total guess) fell out.  After that I washed my hair to get all the hair that was falling out, out of my hair, and after it dried I checked to see if it looked any different I could see no different, but I know this is not normal and im wondering what I can do to fix this problum.  My last resort would to cut my hair because I have trying so hard to grow it out (been growing my hair out since mid June) and I love every inch of my hair, but I will go to a clean cut if I have to.  But please someone help, I want to know what I can do.

Thanks in advanced

Sweet_Ambrosia View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sweet_Ambrosia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 22 2005 at 12:52am
Normal hair shedding is 50-100 hairs a day or less. To make sure its shedding and not breakge examine the hairs closely to see if there's a little white bulb at the end of the hairs, its an indication of normal hair shedding if the little white bulb isnt there its breakage. Since you had your hair in braids for a week it may just be normal shedding, 30-50 strands of hair isnt that much to lose in a weeks time. In the meantime you may wanna try deep conditioning your hair to give it added moisture and strength. HTH~

A bit OT: Why is this thread pinned?

*Transitioned Successfully (7-20-05~7-20-07)
*100 Natural~3c/4a
*Hair Goal: WSL *stretched/straighten* '08
cmesweet View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cmesweet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 22 2005 at 10:43am

First this should not be a stickie...there is a rule about that on this forum.

Welcome to the site! 

Yes, shedding hair is normal, that is an everyday occurance. However, if you keep your hair in braids or styles that consist of low manipulation, you will see all of your shedded hair at one time while you are taking your hair down.

Natural
BC May 9, 2004

ThAbAdDeStBaBy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ThAbAdDeStBaBy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 22 2005 at 2:07pm
I agree with Sweet_Ambrosia and Cmesweet, it could be just the normal daily shedding and since do braid your hair up it could just look like its a lot but just like Cmesweet said its because when braided our hair shedd but with no where to go until you unbraid. Just check the hair to see if you see the bulbs at the end or not. IMO I think that you have nothing to worry about though. HTH
ThAbAdDeStBaBy
http://public.fotki.com/ThAbAdDeStBaBy3
Hair Goal: BSL by late 2007-early 2008
Hair now: net weave w/EP-RT

merisit View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote merisit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 22 2005 at 3:21pm
  Yeah, what they said.  lol
Natural since: Spring 00'
Type: 3c
BrownEyez2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrownEyez2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 24 2005 at 1:18am
I agree w/ everyone else, Jump. It's likely just normal. When your hair is braided for a while you're going to notice more shedding once you take it down bcuz the hairs you would normally lose daily has no where to go. I wouldn't do anything as drastic as cutting your hair off. It's always a good idea to shampoo and deep condition your hair when coming out of braids. ~hth~
~~LIVE YOUR BEST LIFE!~~
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic