Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

What color should I go with?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Yoda View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yoda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What color should I go with?
    Posted: December 22 2005 at 9:55pm
Hiya Folks...
 I'm a natural strawberry blonde, though my hair has darkened over the years. I've dyed it quite a bit...not recently though.
 I'm ready to dye it again. In the past I've tried to reduce the amount of redness in it by using ash colors, but they always give a slightly greenish hue to the color.

At this point I could go either way...blondish or brunette. I just would like to lessen the redness.

So, if I go brunette, what color/product/type should I use?

If I go blondish..what color/product/type should I use?

This is what my color is now.

Edited by Yoda
Rebekah View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rebekah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 24 2005 at 12:50am

If your hair is warm and you really don't like it, I'd go for a blondish color, otherwise you will have to stick with a warm color for single process.  I actually like what you have now and put a suggestion below to work with your current color. 

Depending on what has been done to your hair and if it can withstand the damage, you could colorfix first to remove all permanent dyes, and then bleach to yellow and tone with Clairol Born Blonde Toner, Toehead.  I think this would look nice. 

If you do decide to bleach please strand test colorfix and bleaching first to see if your hair can take the damage. 

Also, I wouldn't go any darker than the color you have right now, that's just me though.  I like blonde

Something else you could do that you might really like is to get a streaking cap and pull a few strands through to add some highlights in your hair.  Bleach your hair to gold and pale yellow.  I think this would blend nicely with strawberry blonde hair. 

Alayney View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alayney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 25 2005 at 11:11pm

I like Rebekah's suggestion. I think you should do it!

Originally posted by Rebekah Rebekah wrote:

... bleach to yellow and tone with Clairol Born Blonde Toner, Toehead.  I think this would look nice.

Yoda View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yoda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 28 2005 at 1:23am
Thank you for the suggestions Rebekah and Alayney!

I'm not sure exactly how much my hair can withstand...but I'd give it a try...maybe do a light neutral (would that help tone down the red?) brown and then do blonde highlights over that.

By the way...what brand is the Colorfix?

Thanks again! Hope you two had a nice Christmas!
Rebekah View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rebekah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 28 2005 at 4:28pm

A neutral dye would contain a mixture of all primary colors in varying amounts, red, blue, yellow; meaning there would be some red in a neutral. 

If you are indeed going to dye light neutral brown, I'd certainly do the colorfix, following the instructions accordingly.  Then use an ash based Dark blonde.  Then do blonde highlights over that.  I'm saying dark blonde and ash because it sounds like you have a lot of red to begin with, correct?  Try the Moonhaze, I think it's 32D, by Miss Clairol with 20 vol.  Also, your hair may take the dye darker depending on how porous your hair is. 

Here's a link to Colorfix, and I think Sally Beauty carries it. 

http://www.sallybeauty.com/shop/1480/342350

Here's a link to Robert Craig with the instructions on how to use Colorfix. 

http://www.robertcraig.com/colorfix.html

Please strand test prior to doing your entire head.  Good luck and let us know how it goes!

Yoda View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yoda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2005 at 2:09am

Hey Rebekah! Thanks for all the info and the links! I appreciate it!
I'll let you know how it goes...

Much Love and Happy Holidays...

Jessica

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic