Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Things to do with hair

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
chgurlsng View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chgurlsng Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Things to do with hair
    Posted: December 23 2005 at 9:37am
I don't know of you guys remember me, but I'm back!
My hair is now just about waste length and I am running out of things to do with it!  The longer it gets, the more I need to protect it from split ends and especially the cold weather.  My friends tell me that I wear my hair up too much, so any alternative solutions will be welcome.  I don't want my hair too be just as boring as the girl w/ the bob next to me in class.

Thanks,
-Char
Longhairdreams View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Longhairdreams Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 23 2005 at 10:09am

hairbraid.jpg

What about braiding it like this in the front adn then letting the back fall loose.

DaveDecker View Drop Down
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveDecker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 24 2005 at 4:13pm
Welcome back, Char!  I'd like to suggest you not be so concerned with the suggestions of your friends.  And I can assure you that waist-length hair in an updo is infinitely more alluring and interesting than a boring bob.

Edited by DaveDecker
chgurlsng View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chgurlsng Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 25 2005 at 3:20pm
Thanks, Dave!  I ususally am not the type of person that pays mind to what other people say about my hair.... after all, if I'd listened to them, my hair would be in a shoulder length style, too.
So, what about different types of buns to wear?  I have two left hands when it comes to braiding/doing my own haird, but I'm up for learning.  I wish I could braid my own hair as well as I can my sister's!

-Char
chgurlsng View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chgurlsng Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 25 2005 at 3:30pm
Oh, and another thing.... I can't seam to find scrunchies anymore!  No one wears them and I would love to make some, but i don't know how much fabric to use.  I want to find some really thin velvet ones but I've looked and no one sells them around here.

-Char
AnaisSatin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AnaisSatin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 25 2005 at 10:55pm

Hello Char, the velvet scrunchies don't normally come in a "thinner" style. The cotton fabric ones do... I've seen these Scunci scrunchies  that are 3/4 inch wide. while the velvet ones are generally between 1 - 1 1/4" wide.

If you go to a fabric store and check out the "scraps" bin, they'll have half-yards or partial yards for sale. Give yourself 1/4 inch seam allowance, so 1/4 + 1/4 + (3/4 inch x 2) so about 2" strip (edited to add: about 2" x 8"). All you'd need to do is sew a tube with a simple stitch, turn it inside out, thread in some elastic and tie a knot, then sew the ends of the velvet together while hiding the stitches.  

Typical elastic usually stretches to 2x its unstretched form. If you are lucky enough to find 3x, use it.... it'll be closest to the stretchiness of a store scrunchie.

If you decide to make your own, I hope this is helpful. Scrunchies are fun.

Have a warm holiday everyone
Anais

Edited by AnaisSatin
my LJ, 40 inches long
chgurlsng View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chgurlsng Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 26 2005 at 9:39am
Anais,
Thanks, that sounds perfect!  Now, I can't wait to go to the fabric store.

-Char
LadyFrog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LadyFrog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 27 2005 at 8:25am
You can get scrunchies from normal chemists and stuff like boots and lloyds.

28.02.06 34 inches
Photos
Lifes a grave. Dig it.
-Wednesday 13
Amazing Grace View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Amazing Grace Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 29 2005 at 5:57am
When you're looking at elastic for scrunchies, I would suggest the clear elastic (also referred to as Swimsuit elastic). It's heavier duty and has a lot of stretch and worked well the few times I've made scrunchies.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic