Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Damaged Hair Products Info, etc. *SOS*

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Afakeleg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Afakeleg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Damaged Hair Products Info, etc. *SOS*
    Posted: December 26 2005 at 1:21am

OOOkay. I bleached and fried my hair  I have been practically living at this website the last few days researching products, reading reviews, and finding home remedies to help with my breakage/hair loss. I've always had fine, thin hair, but balding wasn't what I was after. I think I've read every post about Damaged, Dry, Bleached, Breakage, Protien Packs, Reconstructors, Deep Conditioners, Sebastion 2+1, Joico K-pak, Terax, Phyto, Redken, Bioter, I can go on. Also some new stuff no one seems to have used, Salerm.

I've been using the conditioner that came with the bleach like crazy and olive oil, shea butter drenches. Hair seems a little better, but still just falls out when I run my hand gently through it. I've came to the conlusion it needs a protein treatment and some good (hopefully not too expesnive) deep conditioner. But I've also read that people have had more breakage problems with the protein and over conditioning  

I aslo read somewhere someone used an egg on their hair to add protien?? Is that an alternative to buying a Protein Reconstructer Pack thingy? 

I guess basically I overstuffed myself with info and am lost... 

Help... Hair Advice Gods... Please...

AnaisSatin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AnaisSatin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 26 2005 at 1:42pm

Hey there Afakaleg, keep in mind that nothing will truly "repair" or "reconstruct" damage from heat or chemical processes. You're simply making your hair *feel* better by slathering stuff on it and preventing more damage. Maybe you can try treatments on a small portion of your hair first and observe the reaction, that way you can avoid a protein disaster. Then if the section of hair shows good results, then try doing all of your hair with the successful treatment.

HB is the perfect place to live when you're looking for product information. I hope you find a solution.

Hugs
Anais

my LJ, 40 inches long
Afakeleg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Afakeleg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 26 2005 at 3:41pm
Thanks, sounds good to me. have you used any of the products? I've heard good things about L'anza and Kaortese or something like that

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AnaisSatin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 26 2005 at 8:10pm

I think I know what you mean. It's called Kerastase and it's been mentioned on this board only a few times though. The mentions have been good reviews, however the product is pretty expensive.

I haven't tried any of those products, but here is a list of products I've tried if that helps any.

Hugs
Anais

my LJ, 40 inches long
Afakeleg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Afakeleg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 27 2005 at 6:30pm
I've been absorbed in your hair diary. I like your view on the meaning of life. The Medusa sticks are very pretty. I hope I can recover my hair enough to get it as long as yours.. The pictures of how long your hair took to grow are amazing, my hair just doesn't grow that fast. I get bored waiting, then dye it and f**k it up for awhile. I'm interrested but somewhat confused about the  c-cow-c. is it condition-condition only wash-condition? all at once in the shower? My hair is very dry so I've been trying to wash it with diluted shampoo only once a week. That plus the shea butter and olive oil leaves residue that I won't wear in public until washed again. Are combs a must? I never comb my hair

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AnaisSatin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 31 2005 at 7:50pm

Hi Afakeleg (I finally get it.. A, fake, leg.) Thank you for your kind words.  and I'm glad someone is enjoying my nook.

The C-COW-C method is not as complicated as it sounds. It can even be simplified into  COW-C. "COW" is just shampoo mixed with a little bit of conditioner mixed with water. It looks frothy like steamed milk when you shake it up, hence the "cow". So at the basic level, COW-C is just applying the mixture, rinsing out, then conditioning.

Combs are not a "must". Detangling the hair, somehow, is probably a good idea. If you don't like combs then using your fingers would work just as well. In general, combs are more effective for detangling than brushes.

I hope that made sense. Have a happy New Year!

Anais

my LJ, 40 inches long
Alayney View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alayney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 01 2006 at 12:43am

I hear people talk about using egg also; I had some left over from a recipe one time and so I tried it -- for the life of me, I can't remember what I mixed it with -- but I stupidly wrapped a hot, wet towel around my head while the egg was on and it scrambled. Thankfully, it come out easily. I knew better, but I wasn't thinking. If you go that route, be careful.

I also have heard that too much protein can make hair brittle; however, I use protein shampoos and conditioners and leave-ins ALL the time and have never ever had a problem. Though, I must say that I am a little more cautious now and I either mix my protein conditioners with a moisturizing conditioner or alternate them.

I have two of the Kerastase masks and another conditioner. I like it a lot but someone told me that Kerastase is not one of the better products as far as ingredients goes. I don't recall what that ingredient is but I use it anyway. (Plus, opinions will always vary.) I got mine off eBay. It IS very expensive, in my opinion, but cheaper on eBay.

I also have and like L'anza alot. I've been using it for years and years. I have the protein shampoo and the leave-in conditioner. My hair is bleached blonde and has been for about 7 years without any problems. I did have a bout with breakage at one point -- that's when I got the Kerastase. Anyway, I shampoo AND condition in the shower and then I ALSO use a leave-in mixed with a serum or another detangler/conditioner every single day (or I should say, every time I wash my hair which is about every other day). I also have fine hair. It sounds like a lot of conditioning but my hair DOES NOT get greasy. The bleached hair is very thirsty I'm sure.

I think what you should do is use a gentle shampoo and a very moisturizng conditioner and then ALSO a leave-in. You ought to get the L'anza one w/protein (the leave-in). Either mix the moisturizing conditioner with a protein one or alternate them. That's my humble, unscientific opinion.

P.S. The problem with doing too much research is, too much information is almost as bad as too little. Makes it harder to decide! And then here I am giving you yet more advice! LOL! But you asked. :) Good luck! Hey -- you could always pick up several different conditioning packets at Sally's. That way you could try many different things without making a committment. By the way, I never heard of "over conditioning" aside from possible over-PROTEIN-conditioning ... ???

Edited by Alayney
Afakeleg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Afakeleg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 02 2006 at 4:36pm

Thanks Alayney, your advice was really good actually. I think I'll try the L'anza one w/protein as soon as I have the money. My boyfreind was picking at my hair yesterday and said my scalp is dry and flaking. I aslo get weird tingeling sensations, which worry me, but he thinks it means it's getting better.

AnaisSatin,  now I get the cow thing! Cool, I'll add conditioner to my shampoo/water bottle.

I wanted to experiment with the egg thing, but it sounds scary. So hopefully with the protein and the extra conditioning my hair will stop breaking off. Thanks guys

Alayney View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alayney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2006 at 1:58am
Do you have Trade Secret where you live? I got my first bottles of the L'anza from there. They were the huge bottles -- they were selling the shampoo and conditioner together for $20! An awesome deal. It lasted me well over a year. In fact, I've STILL got a bit of the leave-in left and it's been a couple of years. Unfortunately, I didn't find the large bottles the next time I went to TS so I found one on eBay for under $15 (can't recall the exact price). I just couldn't go back to buying the small bottles for $10 after that ...

I think I might try the "COW" method myself! Good idea!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic