Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

The part debate: what side to part

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
wendyladi98 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wendyladi98 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The part debate: what side to part
    Posted: December 28 2005 at 8:49pm

Hi, I would love your ideas and opinions on these philosophies on hair parting. George Michael, of long hair fame, says you shouldn't part in the middle because it causes the most stress on the hair and isn't very flattering to most people as it exagerates (sorry can't spell) the difference in each side of your face if it isn't perfectly symetric, he also claims a right part is good for your hair as the hair grows left to right and you get some added bounce or something like that. At the link: http://www.bellaonline.com/articles/art11439.asp  They talk about how everyone's nose tilts one way or the other so you should part in the opposite direction, or that everyone has a prettier eye so you should place your part over the eye you want to draw attention to... (catching my breath) Then there is the gender theory but I am not even getting into that (it is on the link above). Anyway, I would like to know what side you all part on, and how you figured out that was your best side. Based on all the above theories (except for the eye one cuz I'm not sure, ) I should part on the right, but my hair wants to naturally part on the left. Is there a way to "train" your hair and how do you decide where to place the part, (in other words how far to go over) My hair looks about equally good either way but when looking at other people I do like the right part look best. I know this is an odd question/debate and most people probably don't think that much about this but the more I read I was intrigued and confused lol.

Wendy

"In the darkness, see the light. Remember God loves you"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wendyladi98 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 28 2005 at 8:55pm

by the way here are pictures of me with left and right parts so you can see what you think looks like on me

November 2, 2005<- Left    right->8/6 after trim

I am currently growing out my hair but like this side swept look and will probably Keep it in some form or fashion for a while.

Wendy

loveshorthair View Drop Down
Super Elite Member
Super Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote loveshorthair Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 28 2005 at 10:30pm
Interesting, my wife has a crooked nose, caused by a cleft lip/palate and was told by a hairdresser that she should part it so the hair goes the same way the nose goes - that people wouldn't notice her nose as much because the hair flows that way also.  I always thought it should be the opposite way to "balance" the look out.  So I too will be interested in people's responses.  By the way, she kept it opposite.  As for you, I like the right one better.
lilmountaingrrl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lilmountaingrrl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 29 2005 at 6:47am

Put me down for a vote for the right part, too.  Both pictures are very pretty, but I just really like the look of the right-part.

AnaisSatin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AnaisSatin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 31 2005 at 7:52pm

Mathematically, the most "attractive" location for a part would be at the point approximately two-thirds across a face. Fitting this theory, you look very pretty with a side part!

Anais

my LJ, 40 inches long
Alayney View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alayney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 01 2006 at 12:12am

I prefer your hair parted on the left! I part my hair on the right, but I always thought it looked equally nice on either side. Just recently I realized I have a cowlick on the left and the hair hangs better when I have it on the right so I'll probably stick with that from now on. I guess I never really thought about whether or not my FACE looked better one way or the other; I always went by how the hair looks. My nose does bend slightly to the left so I guess I got it right. (I would also agree that it makes the most sense that an opposite part would balance out the face.)

Edited by Alayney
Kuroneko View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kuroneko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 04 2006 at 1:20am

I part mine to the left 'cause that's the way it grows.  *shrugs*  I've tried doing it on the right before, 'cause I'd heard it would make it look fuller, but it didn't seem to make much difference on me.

Middle parts seldom look good, I'll agree, though.  And if they're done with long hair, they can cause the hippie look.

Really, your hair part looks fine on either side, so I have no preference.  You could change it up from time to time when you get bored with it, maybe.

More awesome than a manatee!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wendyladi98 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 04 2006 at 2:50am

I probably will part it on either side depending on my mood since I can't find any real good reason for one side vs the other. Regardless of how it looks, it seems to naturally part on the left. The right takes more work, and it actually looks fuller on the left so maybe george michael has it wrong(he said all hair grows from left to right).

Wendy

WhisperToScream View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WhisperToScream Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 04 2006 at 4:18am
I usually part depending on my mood. I think my part was naturaly down the middle but after years of training it to part on either side it doesn't do that much anymore. I can't part it down the middle cause I have curly hair and middle parting tends to look very tree or triangle-like. Also if I get a zit then I'll use my hair to try to hide it by part my hair on that side. 

Edited by WhisperToScream

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wendyladi98 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 05 2006 at 7:18pm

I also think messy zig-zag parts are cool and when my hair gets a little longer I might try experimenting with those. Thanks for all the comments and suggestions!

Wendy

ChelseaB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ChelseaB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2006 at 8:45pm
I used to do the messy zig-zag part when my hair was shorter, about your length. It is harder to do messy zig-zag parts when the hair is longer since the strands you are pulling over get caught in other strands and you can't control as much of what you are doing. I jsut usually do a regular right side part. I  dont look that good in a middle part, it makes my hair flat.
Chelsea~*
www.myspace.com/chelsea_nicole_boyd
Hair Type: 1a/1b-N-ii
Kuroneko View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kuroneko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2006 at 11:45pm
Nope, all hair definitely doesn't grow left to right.  It varies from person to person.  One study I read about linked it to handedness, but I dunno if that's really so.  *shrugs*  It said people whose hair parts to the left are mostly right-handed, but I'm a left-handed person who parts to the left.  I must be rare ^_^ .

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wendyladi98 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2006 at 10:39pm

That is a really interesting theory! I am left handed and my hair seems to look the fullest when I part from left to right, and that seems to be where my natural part lies as well...does that make me fit the theory or go against it? I still wonder though if it parts so well on the left because I wore it like that so long it is "trained"

Wendy

Kuroneko View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kuroneko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 09 2006 at 12:26am

I'm not sure if hair can be trained to go against its natural growth pattern or not.  My hair grows in weird directions in places, and I'm forever trying to get it to behave!  If all the wetting, blowdrying, sticking down with product, holding down with clippies, and whatever else I've done hasn't trained it by now, I don't know what will -_- .

aubergine View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aubergine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2006 at 2:44am
I part mine ever so slightly to the right because the hair in the centre has more split ends through years of straightening/drying!  Also my hair doesn't have a natural centre parting, so it kind of falls there abouts anyway.

Edited by aubergine
Kuroneko View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kuroneko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2006 at 3:44am
That's a pretty purple ^_^ .
gunnie71 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gunnie71 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 21 2006 at 7:18am

I part my hair  from the left just like Kuroneko does!

I just parted it to the left after it being parted to the right for a year.

I look better I think, LOL, ;)

Katie

Katie ;)
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic