Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Lower Body Exercises?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
goldengirl2be View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote goldengirl2be Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Lower Body Exercises?
    Posted: January 01 2006 at 9:37pm

I would really like some suggestions for toning the hip, thigh, butt areas.  I am 32 years old, 5'5" and weigh 136 lbs.  I cannot do squats because they hurt my knees.  I also do not have a lot of time to spend on these areas.  Any suggestions?

harvard_hottie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote harvard_hottie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 02 2006 at 11:31pm

I heard walking lunges are great for tonning up thigh's and the butt area. Especially if you are holding small weights in your hands.  I dont know if that would be hard on your knees? And running (or speed walking is great as well) on a treadmill on an incline so like your running up a small hill is great for your thighs too. 

-~*`THINK PINK`*~-
BrownEyez2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrownEyez2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2006 at 5:52pm

Lunges are good for the butt/thighs. Squats are the BEST, but I see that you can't do those bcuz of your knees. I also do an exercise I called "the scissors" . You lay on the floor on your side/resting on your elbow/legs straight/raise leg in the air/squeezing your buttocks and abs--you can either hold leg still or do mini leg pumps/hold for count of 15. I do anywhere from 3-4 set reps..then alternate sides/left and right. (**hope you can get a visual)  But this helps to tone your thighs,hips, butt and abs. ~hth~

~~LIVE YOUR BEST LIFE!~~
Kuroneko View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kuroneko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 04 2006 at 12:07am

If they offer them in your area, maybe you should try a water-aerobics class.  Exercising in water is easier on the joints, and the water provides natural resistance to help tone the muscles.

More awesome than a manatee!
always_alone View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote always_alone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 04 2006 at 9:28am
This is the main reason I do 5 mile bikeride instead of jogging. Jogging hurt my joints too much. Heck, I'm only 20 and they hurt my joints. Even squats hurt my knees. I dunno where you live, but where I live it stays pretty warm so even in the winter I'm working out.

Edited by always_alone
Elizabeth
2b/M/ii
pixie/20"/waist
harvard_hottie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote harvard_hottie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 04 2006 at 1:22pm
I know the feeling about  jogging! I hurt my heal and my knee just by jogging and it took me awhile to recover so I just stick to speed walking. Jogging isn't the greatest for your joints. Not unless your willing to pay $300 for a really great pair of running shoes. Apparently speed walking burns more calories than jogging, but I dont know how true that is.
     -~*`THINK PINK`*~-
insatiable4fun View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote insatiable4fun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2006 at 5:45am

yeah, I think you should walk too. recently gained weight and it has settled on my on my midsection and hips. I bought a treadmill to use. If you have one, put it near a TV, so whenever you want to watch TV, watch it while walking in the treadmill as a penalty. That is what I used to do and my body looked wonderful.

But when you move away to another country to work, buying a treadmill is the last thing on your mind. which is why I gained weight

Been spending so much time underground...I guess my eyes adjusted to the lack of light...I was covered in darkness.
lilkeke918 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lilkeke918 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2006 at 10:17pm
you mean squating witout weights right. if a squat without weight hurts sounds like a health issue. Have you went to the chiropractor lately?
Im an Ocean yall cats are just ponds
skibumps View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skibumps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2006 at 10:58pm
I would stay away from any chiropractic as this is for issues stemming from spinal problems.  And even then, I'd be very hesitant to go to a chiropractor unless he/she had an amazing reputation.  If you're unable to do squats because it hurts your knees, then it is more likely related to a knee joint problem.   Walking lunges are awesome for the butt and thighs.  It's non-aerobic, so there is no pressure on the joints.  Do slow, even lunges, with your hands on your hips, and back straight.  This also works on your core, so will help with balance and abd muscles.  Your knee should always be directly over your foot. If you put your knee too far over your foot, you're hyperextending, and that can cause knee pain and possibly strain a groin muscle (now that really hurts!!!).  Walk the length of a room or similar distance.  When you bring your back leg up, bring up together with the other leg so your standing straight, then begin with the next leg, and keep going.  My point is to come back to midline after each lunge.  This helps you keep better control of your posture/stance, and get good stretches, as well as keep your balance. 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic