Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

what happened with black hair?!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
CoconutShy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CoconutShy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 04 2006 at 11:34pm

There's lots of gentle shampoos out there.

Kenra moisturizing shampoo, Elasta Qp shampoos, Neutrogeta triple moisture shampoo, Cream of nature shampoo, Jason and Aubrey organics shampoos... those are just off the top of my head.

I currently use Elasta Qp shampoo for relaxed hair once a week.  I conditioner wash my hair and do a light acv rinse another time during the week.   

taggi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote taggi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 04 2006 at 11:06pm

Coconutshy wrote-  The point is, increased washing can and does work for "black" hair.  In any case, the hair should be washed at least once a week imo.  We aren't in the past anymore.  There is too much information out here to continue to listen to outdated information.

amen sista! what are the best shampoos to use for multiple washes? some that arent too harsh?

taggi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote taggi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 04 2006 at 11:01pm

wow sistaslick that was gooooood! i do think washing at least every 3 days would be beneficial like you said. i mean your hair is gorgeous! what cookiesncream said about white women and the bleached hair,that is because of too much hair dye and blow drying they do. i know plenty of ppl (white,hispanic,asian,mixed) that wash their hair daily and have gorgeous hair. i understand your point about leaving it dry and brittle,but it is all in how you follow up the wash. when you straighten your hair, do you moisturize first and use a heat protectant like beyond the zone? if you did i bet it would come out a lot better. as far as weighing down the hair,all i can say is YUCK! i hate when my hair feels weighed down and heavy,thats why i dont use too much moisturizer. myths like this one may have been passed down,but from who and when? they may have been passed the wrong way to black ppl and still stand today as absolute truth. i wish there was a study done to clarify all of this so wondering minds like my own would have an answer.until then i guess i'll just wash when it gets itchy,sweaty,or dirty at my own discretion. my older sister also has a fro like my brother and she washes every other day, her hair is soft and grows really fast.she decided to cut off her relaxed hair and start over natural. since then her hair is growing and is healthy. although i dont think i could every cut all my hair off (scary) i do want a solution to spending so much on so called "hair growers".

P.S. Sistaslick,what is your regimen?

CoconutShy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CoconutShy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 04 2006 at 10:49pm

The "no washing" thing must've stemmed from kinky hair being so dry and breaking off... and shampooing would've been harsh in the past.  So it's a totally OLD school way of thinking, because no we have very gentle shampoos with the right pH balance.  Shampoos of the past were Basic (pH was higher than 6) and not very conditioning.  In the victorian era, it was common for women not to wash their hair for a month... regardless of race.

Conditioner washes are a great way to keep hair moisturized.  They don't strip the hair, but they rinse some dirt off and give the hair more moisture.  Some people with kinky hair can do them even daily with great results.

Sometimes too much washing can give people increased breakage because of the amount of handling the hair goes through.  However, one can't say that daily washing (with conditioner and even very gentle shampoos like cream of nature) will automatically not work for someone with kinky hair.  Everyone's hair is different.

The point is, increased washing can and does work for "black" hair.  In any case, the hair should be washed at least once a week imo.  We aren't in the past anymore.  There is too much information out here to continue to listen to outdated information.

:)

princess8907 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote princess8907 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 04 2006 at 8:20pm

I def cant wash my hair every day.it would leave my hair dry and brittle.  And about the myths, alot of myths are kept up by black people! Weve given into many myths and some still believe them

4b-natural,shoulder blade length,hair goal of to my bra strap

Sistaslick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sistaslick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 04 2006 at 7:55pm

Originally posted by cookiesnkream cookiesnkream wrote:

washing evryday is a HUGE NO NO and theres no
doubt about it in my mind,, if u have curly or frizzy or
kinky and or dry hair,,, such hair NEEDS weight and
all the natural oil and moisture it can get,,

Sorry cookie, I have to humbly disagree on that one.   Tons of us have seen our hair flourish from frequent washing.  I used to believe the "don't wash your hair too much"  hype and my hair suffered GREATLY from that line of thinking.  There is no basis for it.  None.  My scalp is free of product clutter and it can actually breathe now.  That is our main problem... we suffocate our scalps with stuff and call it moisturizing or think its good.  

I think curly and kinky hair types thrive from frequent washing.  I wouldn't recommend daily or even weekly washing with an SLS type shampoo-- but washing during the week with a gentle shampoo or a "conditioner wash" is VERY beneficial to our hair types.  Washing and conditioning does moisturize the hair.  As far as needing "weight" I don't know exactly what you mean about that- but I can see maybe needing something to seal and smooth the cuticle.  There are steps you need to take during and after washing to assure the best results.  As long as you follow up a wash with a thick,creamy conditioner, moisturizer, and light oil-- you should be fine.  Your hair won't dry out at all.  Now if you wash your hair everyday with a harsh shampoo  . . .and then fire up the heat . . . and never moisturize with a REAL water based moisturizer-- expect washing and everything else to backfire on you.

Originally posted by cookiesnkream cookiesnkream wrote:

even washing twice a week i notice that my dry curly hair gets dry to the point where it looks like a haystack
afte its been straightened out

To me, its all in the products and techniques. . . you said you notice your hair feels dry once its straigtened-- are you using heat to straighten?  Are you moisturizing? What are you using to seal the moisture in your cuticle? That may be the cause of your dryness.  The only time my hair feels dry after a wash is when I blow dry w/ little product or haven't deep conditioned enough.

Taggi, I don't know who started that myth but I wish it  and all the little ones like it would die.  It is things like that, that keep us from reaching our hair goals and it makes me so mad.  I believed this crap like it was written in the bible or something and I paid every day for it and never knew why.  I'm sorry for going ranting and raving (and cookie you know I love you girl) but I just get frustrated hearing things that are far from true and have the potential to set us back.   I'm not saying we should all wash everyday b/c that could be too much manipulation wise for some, myself included- but at least once or twice a week if possible.

Sorry y'all for the rantings.

Edited by Sistaslick
cookiesnkream View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cookiesnkream Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 04 2006 at 6:15pm

washing evryday is a HUGE NO NO and theres no
doubt about it in my mind,, if u have curly or frizzy or
kinky and or dry hair,,, such hair NEEDS weight and
all the natural oil and moisture it can get,, even
washing twice a week i notice that my dry curly hair
gets dry to the point where it looks like a haystack
afte its been straightened out,,,I definitely believe in a
once weekly wash or more often with a very very
gentle shampoo but any more than that just doesnt
really work for our type of hair,, and i think even some
causasian hair would benefit from less wahsing,,
i've seen to many bleached dyed an such white
women with hair that looks no different from my own
on a bad day....
Hair type: 3b some c?, fine strands, last relaxer sept 05, never again!!! current :ap length on sides,,nearly bsl in back, damn those old frazzled ends! I am hair OBSESSED   
ThAbAdDeStBaBy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ThAbAdDeStBaBy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 04 2006 at 5:47pm
Yeah I agree..I would be sick to my stomatch if it would be true LOL...Even though I cant stand my hair being dirty I havent washed every day though..Hummmmmmmm makes you think!

Edited by ThAbAdDeStBaBy
ThAbAdDeStBaBy
http://public.fotki.com/ThAbAdDeStBaBy3
Hair Goal: BSL by late 2007-early 2008
Hair now: net weave w/EP-RT

taggi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote taggi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 04 2006 at 5:41pm
thanks for your input! i just think its funny how we all believe without a question that we shouldnt wash everyday,but with no real hard evidence to prove why. my brother washes his hair everyday as he showers and has a very soft,healthy fro. i just wonder if all of our hair problems would be solved if we stopped and thought,what if? that would be crazy if this whole time we could have "good hair" if we just washed it more! what a waste of money on products dontcha think?
ThAbAdDeStBaBy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ThAbAdDeStBaBy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 04 2006 at 4:49pm
Huhmmmmm Taggi you have excellet questions...For me I have been told before many of times that we should not wash our hair everyday because of our textures, type, etc. But who knows though..I do know that when you take care of yourself inside out such as exercise, drink plenty of water, eating healthier does show on the outside. (from my personal experiences as I type LOL) So I'm waiting for some feedback on this post as well..Because I'm wondering too.
ThAbAdDeStBaBy
http://public.fotki.com/ThAbAdDeStBaBy3
Hair Goal: BSL by late 2007-early 2008
Hair now: net weave w/EP-RT

taggi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote taggi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 04 2006 at 3:28pm
   This site has really been interesting to me from the first day i found it. i never knew ppl put so much effort into their hair and a lot of the info has been enlightening. but all of this discussion begs the question:when did we first start to care so much? i really do wonder where certain aspects of black hair care came from and how they were started. for example, why is it that every other race washed their hair everyday,but for some reason black women dont? i know someone would be quick to say "because washing everyday would dry out our hair and strip it of its natural oils". but how do you really know? if washing would strip its natural oils,then why do we still have to keep adding oils and moisturizers to our hair on the daily bases to keep it from being dry? shouldnt the natural oils that our hair produces be enough? ive always wondered how everyone is so sure that washing everyday would do this,but have any of you actually tried it? part of taking care of your hair is a good diet,excersise, and regimen but what if we watered "our plant" everyday? i wonder what would happen if we washed everyday and saw a huge change in our hair. maybe it would be healthier,stronger,and grow faster like every other race in america that does this. i know this will start up  a great discussion and i want to hear what everyone has to say about this,because i know im not the only one who has thought about this.please share ladies!

Edited by taggi
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic