Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

swimming and your hair

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
always_alone View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote always_alone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: swimming and your hair
    Posted: January 04 2006 at 9:02pm
My eczema is finally clearing up thanks to flaxseed oil and I am excited to be able to actually be able to go out and buy a swim suit and have some fun in the pools.  My only problem is I am paranoid about the harmful effects of chlorine on my hair. I'm trying to grow it longer and healthy. I almost feel like buying a swimming cap thingie. Anything I can do or should I just buy one and not worry about it.

Edited by always_alone
Elizabeth
2b/M/ii
pixie/20"/waist
AnaisSatin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AnaisSatin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 04 2006 at 10:40pm

There's a couple things you can do, actually. Soak your hair in lukewarm freshwater before you jump in the pool (the hair is saturated in freshwater so it can't absorb much pool water)... and a leave-in conditioner also helps.

Have fun
Anais

my LJ, 40 inches long

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote always_alone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 04 2006 at 10:52pm
I tried that once before...my hair dresser told me to stop swimming. I would take a shower before getting in the pool, and put conditioner in it and not rinse it out that well. Then when I got out I would put the shampoo to get rid of chlorine and condition again. I pretty much killed my hair then.
Elizabeth
2b/M/ii
pixie/20"/waist

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote always_alone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 04 2006 at 10:54pm
I think I am going to say screw it. Everyone I talk to doesn't understand my concern for my hairs' health and just makes fun of it. Well, not you guys. LOL! Might as well take that $50 I take for x-mas and spend it on an outfit.
Elizabeth
2b/M/ii
pixie/20"/waist

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AnaisSatin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 04 2006 at 11:03pm

I think you could probably get away with using a swim cap, along with getting your hair wet. Still, if you don't feel right about swimming then keeping your head above water works too. ... although..

man this is a tough choice. I still haven't figured out how to deal with pools either.

Anais

my LJ, 40 inches long

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote always_alone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 04 2006 at 11:14pm
I saw an article that said to put a wig thingie under it to prevent problem with the hair...I wonder if that will help. The laytex ones have issues with pulling hair. And the one that works best with lots of hair and keeps the most water out looks "outdated".

Edited by always_alone
Elizabeth
2b/M/ii
pixie/20"/waist

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AnaisSatin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 05 2006 at 10:20am

The latex ones are definitely hard to use. They don't stretch big enough to pull comfortably onto your head, let alone your hair. It would help to have five arms - one to hold the hair, four to stretch the cap. so... I can't recall the last time I went swimming.

my LJ, 40 inches long
Merlin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Merlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2006 at 10:50am

You might try the swimmer's line of products from Aubrey Organics. While I haven't tried this particular product, I have used some of their other shampoos and conditioners and found all of them to be excellent.

You can buy a small 2 oz. sample of the product at a very reasonable price to see if it works well with your hair:

http://www.aubrey-organics.com/product1.cfm?product_id=072A

http://www.aubrey-organics.com/product1.cfm?product_id=078A

Good luck and I hope you find something that lets you enjoy the summer!

Merlin
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic