Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

split ends

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
always_alone View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote always_alone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: split ends
    Posted: January 06 2006 at 10:05am
What about them? People will do anything to prevent them but why? I mean I can understand if you try to prevent them there is no harm...you are keeping your hair from becoming dry. Nearly everyone gets split ends but what is the big deal? I have split ends and I have to search very hard to locate them. Is there really any harm in just letting them be?
Elizabeth
2b/M/ii
pixie/20"/waist
carameldiva View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carameldiva Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2006 at 10:12am
Actually yes because they will split all the way up your hair shaft. Cut them or get them trimmed when you see them.
Me and you, your cousin and your momma too rollin on da strip on bow's
always_alone View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote always_alone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2006 at 10:29am
Is that possible?! Wouldn't you have to be back combing for that to happen? I mean I think at least one of the ends will eventually just fall off. I have gone a year and a half without trimming my hair before and had some split ends (note I was young and abused my hair). I never came across that problem. Please explain further the statement...or at least give some proof.
Elizabeth
2b/M/ii
pixie/20"/waist
AnaisSatin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AnaisSatin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2006 at 2:34pm

Yes, they split up further... but they don't "spread" either, they just acc.umulate. The splits concern is mostly among longhairs, and it's mostly because split-ends are more noticeable on longer hair than on shorter hair, and long hair tends to have more splits because the hair's ends are older.

ETA: So they look bad when in large numbers. But it's also psychological: it's not a secure feeling for some people to know they have split ends. 

Reasonably healthy hair of any length will be like yours, where a person has to make an effort to find splits.  That's good news

Faery blessings
Anais

Edited by AnaisSatin
my LJ, 40 inches long
PurpleBubba View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PurpleBubba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2006 at 4:07pm
Some people also get more tangles if they let split ends get out of control. Which can lead to more split ends or broken ends when you do go to detangle.

People who want hair that is well below the shoulders or longer are faced with the stereotypes that really long hair looks bad or that it won't be taken care of.

One reason why longer hair isn't as well cared for is if someone is trying to grow out their hair they may be having trouble finding a stylist who will only trim a small amount as requested. This probably causes some people to just give up going to a stylist. Thus they may wait longer for trims. So people will assume that the long haired people just don't take care of their hair when in reality they can't find someone to help them care for it. Also note that as the hair gets longer it becomes more difficult to wash it at a salon because the sinks are too small. Many long hairs complain that the stylist rips through their hair with the comb. It's a catch 22. You go to the salon to get your hair in good condition and the stylist does just as much damage as they are removing.

As far as whether they will get worse or not I think that it is possible for some splits to travel all the way up. But since hair types and methods of care vary so much I don't think you can say that all or most splits will travel all the way up.

I think it's a big deal because some people are worried about what other people think of their hair. People have a hard time being themselves because other people can't let them be themselves. So it comes down to having split ends and not caring if it bugs other people and if it doesn't bug you either. Live and let live type thing.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic