Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Hair cutting as a masculine power trip?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Melantha View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Melantha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hair cutting as a masculine power trip?
    Posted: January 10 2006 at 6:59am

A few months ago, my boy-heart (age 20) and I (age 17) were walking to his house when we passed a group of about three guys his age hanging out across the street. When the recognized he was a boy, they started cat-calling and threatening to cut his hair.

More recently, I read a novel (Capt. Hook) where the same sentiment was found:

"And of course, his [James] long black curls, bombilating [bouncing] with each step he took, caused many to delight in the idea of shearing them from his head." - Capt. Hook: Adventures of a Notorious Youth, J.V. Hart, p. 11

Can anyone tell me what the deal is with this? Is it some sort of testosterone-fuelled power trip? Is it a holdover from when Westerners used to shear the long hair of the natives as part of the attempt to 'civilise' them? Is it a repressed sexual thing, like the short-haired male feels threatened by the confidence of a male with long hair?

Please help, I'm so confused!

~Melantha N.

Capt. Hook: Adventures of a Notorious Youth ~ Best book ever! Read it! ^_^V
Kuroneko View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kuroneko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2006 at 1:00am
I didn't think that kind of thing happened anymore-- for the most part, it's gotten to the point where long-haired guys are pretty normal and accepted, these days.  Unless your guy looks or dresses in some way feminine otherwise. . . a lot of guys still have a problem with that. . .
More awesome than a manatee!
Melantha View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Melantha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2006 at 7:46am

But why does it happen? What does it mean?

(And he's a very pretty boy, and we were in a fairly bad neighborhood, but that isn't really the point)

Kuroneko View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kuroneko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2006 at 4:12am

But to them, that probably was the whole point.

Tyranna View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tyranna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2006 at 11:49am
Sounds to me that it was a case of guys harrassing your BF because he was with a girl and they were not.
Melantha View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Melantha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2006 at 12:01am
But it's not a one time thing, as I stated it showed up in a novel written by someone from Texas about Victorian England (well-researched, I love that author! XD) as well as that one incedent. Doesn't anyone have any similar stories? It was a threat, like a threat to beat him or me up. It's like this urge to cut the hair. Doesn't anyone have any clue why, psychologically? I'm still in the dark, and you two don't seem to understand what I'm asking.
trophywife View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trophywife Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2006 at 2:32am
Um...Samson and Delilah?
Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, but set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.
Melantha View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Melantha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2006 at 5:31am
Hm, maybe!! I didn't think of that! But since most aren't classically educated, does that mean the samson and delilah concept is instinctive?
trophywife View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trophywife Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2006 at 6:23am
I don't think it's instinctive, (I am a nuturist over a naturist every time!)  I think that themes like that have percolated down into our everyday, mainstream culture to some extent and reside in the popular sub-conscious. 
Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, but set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.
Susan W View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Susan W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2006 at 7:05am
I've seen a particularly aggressive and violent guy I knew get ticked off when he thought someone was a pretty girl, then found out it was a guy with long hair, then realized he'd fancied a guy.  He was so homophobic that this disturbed him and made him have violent urges towards the guy who he felt "made him look gay". 

It could also be that long haired guys often get pretty girls, and these other guys are too scared of how their friends will treat them to grow their own long, but are jealous and want pretty girls too. 

It could also be that they are just a gang of thugs looking for a fight and they focus on something obvious because they don't think too hard.  Who knows?

Making metal barettes/concord clips hair safe, long hair style how to: http://alonghair.wordpress.com
Melantha View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Melantha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2006 at 5:48pm
Susan: Whoah, thanks for the insight!! I never thought of that before, but it makes a whole BUNCH of sense!! I mean, the whole issue of confidence being attractive--more attractive--than sheer aggressiveness. On a side note, I think it's really weird that boys try to impress girls the way they try to impress boys (i.e. with aggression and brutality) and  girls try to impress boys the way they impress other girls (i.e. by starving themselves to be thin or wearing clothes that they percieve as flattering). But that's another story, isn't it?

Confidence gets the ladies/gentlemen, every time. ^_^ Thanks for your help Susan!
duke View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote duke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2006 at 7:51am

Interesting points, Susan...

[QUOTE=Susan W]I've seen a particularly aggressive and violent guy I knew get ticked off when he thought someone was a pretty girl, then found out it was a guy with long hair, then realized he'd fancied a guy. 

-This is a very interesting point and it was mentioned in the book "Escape from Childhood" (by John Holt, a child liberationist like me). In it, he mentions the theory that men disapprove of other men with long hair because they have the habit of "sizing up" a girl, I.E. looking her over on sight to consider her from a sexual point of view, and get upset if they see a "longhair" and think him to be a girl.

My friend John is a Mexican American and around the late 70s, he had REAL long hair, like many of his friends. One day, a guy whistled at him from a car. It did not take too long for him to get a haircut after that.

It could also be that long haired guys often get pretty girls, and these other guys are too scared of how their friends will treat them to grow their own long, but are jealous and want pretty girls too. 

-This is news to me. We longhairs have an advantage with pretty girls? You hear so much about girls liking shaved heads, or at any rate a traditional short haircut on men. Please Susan, tell me more!

Susan W View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Susan W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2006 at 9:16am
Melantha: Absolutely, confidence is attractive - Its far more important than looks, really.

Duke:  I haven't read that book.  I do think its mostly homophobic men that get upset by accidentally sizing up a guy, otherwise the guy who'd made the mistake would just go "Oops! Mistake!" and maybe feel embarassed.  Homophobic hatred is often related to childhood issues though.  Though I know its true its strange, as a woman, to think that guys size us up first thing from a sexual point of view -  Sizing someone up in such a way is something that doesn't even occur to me until much later, only if I discover a personality I can trust!  I don't know how well I represent the rest of woman-kind though.

Maybe you are hanging out with girls who don't approve of long haired guys ...go somewhere else!  Some people pick up the views of their families or people around them (especially if they haven't worried about thinking of what their own view on a certain topic might be), and if everyone around them has the anti-long hair on guys viewpoint, and there aren't THAT many long haired guys around for them to get to know and form their own good opinion of, you may run into more women that share this no-long-hair-on-guys viewpoint.  Go to places where you see more long haired guys, and you will find that more long-hair loving women are attracted to be at those places too.  (I guess I always hung out with the crowd that didn't care much for traditional views, and the long haired guys were always taken).

Making metal barettes/concord clips hair safe, long hair style how to: http://alonghair.wordpress.com
Kuroneko View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kuroneko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 20 2006 at 1:50am

I guess that's one of my more masculine traits-- I actually do size up girls sexually when I first see them.  However, I don't get angry if I mistake a guy for a girl at first, only disappointed and maybe a bit embarrassed.  *shrugs*  But guys tend to be more violent/aggressive than girls in general, so the difference in reaction isn't surprising.  I think I have an easier time telling genders than most people, though-- unless it's one of those "guess the gender" contests where they're trying to fool people, I probably get it right some 98% of the time ^_^ .

Impaler Vlad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Impaler Vlad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 15 2006 at 6:22am
Melantha, tell your BF to learn some martial arts a.s.a.p.! Intolerant & alterophobic (It's actually alterophoby the issue we're talking here!) seldom get extremelly violent. They have the weird & wrong impression only they are 'real men' and everybody must worship them for veing so. There are places in this world where a long haired MAN's life can be very hard because of such imbecils... Pls, tell your BF to resisty the social pressure and keep kis hair long!

Best wishes and GOOD LUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Mark Edward Arthur Mac Arran Blackrose
phil View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 18 2006 at 10:49am
I think your initial assertion is absolutely correct. Wasn't it un-reconstructed dads from the old days who used to bark: "Get your hair cut, you look like a girl!". I mean, they never said, "Grow your hair, son, you look like a convict!", did they? Ergo, the desire to influence another to cut their hair is pure control-freakery. I had it throughout my childhood.
phil

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Impaler Vlad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2006 at 6:25am
Wish I heard at least once my parents telling me "Grow your hair, son, you look like a convict!"... Phil is right - it's all about control. Some freaks simply wanna control everything and everybody! Unfortunatelly for the whole world, politicians belong to this freakish category! BTW (this might be an ideea for a new topic) has somone ever seen a long-haired MALE politician - I mean nowadays, not in the 1600s? Wish I had!
Susan W View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Susan W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2006 at 9:34am

Hong Kong's 'Long-Haired' Provocateur
David Kootnikoff investigates the phenomenon that is politician Leung Kwok-hung
http://english.ohmynews.com/articleview/article_view.asp?art icle_class=10&no=228397&rel_no=1

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Impaler Vlad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2006 at 10:35am
Thank U for the reading, Susan W! If I were a citizen of Hong Kong I'd sure have voted for him. I guess this is the first politician I like - not only because his hair is long. From my point of view (I know a lot of people will disagree or even hate me for saying this), short haired politicians are NOT trustworthy. And Leung Kwok-hung proves I'm right!

Blessed be,
Merlin101 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Merlin101 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2006 at 4:33pm

I don't think it is as much of a power trip as jealousy over seeing someone outside of social norms.  I find that most people wish they were strong enough to step outside the box, but few are. 

Kuroneko pointed out she doesn't think it happens that much anymore.  As a professional musician, I have long hair.  I still get comments from passerbys whenever I am out in a crowd and not on stage or recognized for my persona.  My son also chooses to wear his hair long.  He plays basketball for a travelling youth team and gets teased constantly.  He understands that simple minds will always pick on people that don't accept traditional social norms.  Therefore, he continues to let it grow.  It's curious that the same ones that initially tease him, welcome him as "Nash" once they see him play and respect his skills. 

Society is cruel, uneducated and utterly fruitless.  Teach our children well, they are the future.

I can barely conjure myself out of bed, let alone conjure up the devil.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic