Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Paula Beguon~Haircare Products Critic

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Blondie1972 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blondie1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Paula Beguon~Haircare Products Critic
    Posted: January 10 2006 at 6:58pm

Don't Go Shopping for Hair Care Products Without Me

by Paula Beguon

Has anyone read/bought the book 'Don't Go Shopping for Hair Care Products Without Me' by Paula Begoun?  She's the same author who wrote 'Don't Go to the Cosmetics Counter Without Me' and 'The Beauty Bible'.

I just bought the Third Edition of the 'Don't Go Shopping...Hair Care Products' one.  I'm really happy with the book and have found it very interesting.  In fact I had trouble putting it down for a few nights after I first got it.

Overall though~ I'm not completely sure what I think.  It seems like Paula Begoun has done an impressive and huge amount of research.  She has covered pretty much every single hair care product currently on the market.  There was only one product line that I looked up that wasn't in there ~and in all fairness, the line that wasn't included in this recent edition is very, very recent to the market. 

Her reviews are very down to earth and easy to follow~ if a bit repetitive~ although I guess many of the hair care products out there are pretty repetitive too.  The author's reasoning behind her opinions when reviewing all the hair care products is very sound and fact based~ but it did seem to me that she is stating that a lot of the hair care products currently on the market are either not worth the money being charged (and I agree that most hair products ARE over priced) or she seems to be saying that many products out there are basically nothing special to downright crap :)

Although I really enjoy this book and will probably now refer to it prior to spending a lot of money on expensive hair products~ I do have to say that I question her reviews ~a bit.  Admittedly, part of her review of each product is based on the product ingredients and the scientific benefit of these products on hair~ so I guess there isn't a lot of room to argue there, BUT~ it seemed like a great number of products that are well known as being 'excellent' hair care products seemed to be rated by her as 'not so hot'.  Who knows~ maybe they aren't as great as the hype *shrugging* :) 

The hair care product reviews that I looked up first were products and product lines that I love and currently use.  Then I looked up products that I have heard were fabulous and that have been recomended to me.  It also seemed like many of those products were also reviewedby the author as being 'not good' to only 'average' at best.  Many of these products were ones that I have personally had excellent results from and some of the others were ones that many people had highly recommend~?   

Anyway, if anyone wants me to look up the reviews on any specific products or products lines, just post the name of it here and I'd be happy to post the review and what she says is good and bad about that particular product!

Cheers~

Taunya

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blondie1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2006 at 7:44pm

I thought I would also post a couple of the 'Best Products on the Market' summaries from the above noted book, so y'all could see which hair care products are 'supposed' to be the best out there. 

The book determines which products are listed as 'Best Products' based on the following criteria (according to the author)~

Ingredients~ and what sort of benefit those ingredients are supposed to have on the hair.  Whether a product contains ingredient(s) that are good for hair.  If a special ingredient was showcased in the product, how much of the ingredient does the product contain.  Is there enough to actually benefit the hair?

Does the product contain problematic ingredients~ fragrance, preservatives or other questionable items.

Are the products claims farfetched~ can they be/have they been substantiated by research or trials?

How does it differ from other products~ and other products in the actual product line.

If a product is said to be moisturizing or good for sensitive skin/scalp, etc~ did it in fact contain irritants, skin sensitizers or drying ingredients?

Marketing~ and whether it is accurate or deceptive;

Best Volumizing/Conditioning Shampoos for Hair that is Normal to Dry and of any Thickness that Cost More than $8.00

• Aveda Shampure Shampoo
  • Back to Basica Pomegranate Peach Replenishing Shampoo
  • BioSilk (Farouk Chi) Silk Therapy Smoothing Shampoo
  • The Body Shop Olive Glossing Shampoo
  • Bumble & Bumble Alojoba Shampoo
  • Fudge Unleaded Shampoo 1 Mild Cleansing Shampoo for Everyday Use
  • Graham Webb Making Waves Curl Defining Shampoo
  • Hayashi System 911 Shampoo Emergency Repair for Dry Damaged Hair
  • Jason Natural Cosmetics Damage Control Creme Shampoo for Frizzy Dry or Color Treated Hair
  • Joico K Pak Shampoo
  • L'Anza Urgan Elements Remedy Shampoo
  • Matrix Biolage Ultra Hydrating Shampoo
  • Modern Elixirs by Paul Mitchell Color Therapy Shampoo
  • Mop Glisten Shampoo
  • Nexxus Phyto Organics Hydruss Moisturizing Shampoo
  • Ouidad Curl Quencher Shampoo
  • Paul Mitchell Cleanse Botanical Hydrating Shampoo
  • Phyto Phytocurl Curl Enhancing Shampoo
  • Pureology Hydrate Shampoo
  • Senscience Stright Sense Shampoo
  • Sexy Hair Concepts Silky Sexy Hair Silky Shampoo

Best Volumizing/Conditioning Shampoos for Dry to very Dry Hair that is Normal to to Fine or Thin that Cost More than $8.00

• Aveda Sap Moss Shampoo,
  • ISO Multiplicity Reflect Shine Shampoo,
  • Kiehl's Mild Gentle Shampoo for Babies,
  • Mastey Enove Volumizing Creme Shampoo for Fine Hair,
  • Mastey Traite Moisture Shampoo,
  • Mastey Solfiltre Swimmers Shampoo,
  • Rene Furterer Karite Shampoo for Extremely Dry Scalp & Hair,
  • SEXY Hair Concepts Healthy Sexy Hair Soy Milk Moisture Shampoo

Best Volumizing/Conditioning Shampoos for Dry to Very Dry Hair that is Normal to Fine or Thin that Cost Less than $8.00

• ISO Purifying Cleanse Deep Cleaning Shampoo
  • L'Oreal Natures Therapy Unfrizz Smoothing Shampoo

Best Volumizing/Conditioning Shampoos for Dry to Very Dry Hair that is Thick or Coarse That Cost More than $8.00

• Aveda All-Sensitive Shampoo
  • Back to Basics Ginger Scalp Therapy Shampoo
  • Back to Basics Green Tea Ultra Hydrating Shampoo
  • bain de terre Jasmine Moisturizing Shampoo
  • BioSilk (Farouk Chi) Silk Therapy Thickening Shampoo
  • Garren New York Nourishing Creme Shampoo
  • KMS Daily Fixx Everday Shampoo
  • KMS Daily Repair Shampoo
  • L'Anza Hair Repair Formula Protein Plus Shampoo
  • L'Anza Straight Line Temporary Curl Relaxing Formula Shampoo
  • Mastey Pure Colorcare Moisture Sulfate Free Shampoo
  • Matrix sleek.look Shampoo
  • Nexxus Diametress Luscious Hait Thickening Shampoo
  • Nexxus I Serum Younger Looking Hair Shampoo
  • Ouidad Clear Shampoo
  • Philip B Hair Care African Shea Butter Shampoo for All Hair Types
  • Phyto Phytospecific Hydra-Repairing Shampoo with Shea Butter
  • Redken Clear Moisture Shampoo
  • Sebastian Laminates Shampoo

It's a start~I'll post more later!

t.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blondie1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2006 at 9:00pm

Thought I'd post some conditioners for y'all as well~ :)

Best Conditioners for Normal or Normal to Dry Hair of Any Thickness that Cost More than $8.00

• Alterna Hemp Seed Deep Conditioner
  • Aveda Shampure Conditioner
  • Back to Basics Tangerine Twist Daily Radiance Conditioner
  • Bath & Body Works Botanical Nutrients Wheat Gern Almond Hair Reconstructor for All Hair Types
  • The Body Shop Honey Moisturizing Conditioner
  • Bumble & Bumble Super Rich Conditioner
  • Framesi Biogenol Color Care System Moisture Rinse
  • Frederic Fekkai Glossing Conditioner
  • Fudge The Conditioner, Conditioner for Normal to Dry Hair
  • Hayashi System Hinoki Conditioner Texturizing Rinse for Fine and Thinning Hair
  • ICE Hydrater Conditioner
  • ISO Daily Nourishing Condition Light Creme Conditioner
  • Joico Volissima Volumizing Conditioner for Fine Thin Hair
  • KMS Silker Reconstructor
  • Mastey Basic Superpac Capillary Complex Reconstructor
  • Matrix Biolage Color Care Conditioner
  • Michael diCesare Hydration Daily Conditioner
  • Rusk Being Defensive Conditioner
  • Sebastian Shaper Color Survivor Daily Conditioner
  • Senscience Straight Sense Conditioner
  • Sexy Hair Concepts Healthy Sexy Hair Soy Milk Conditioner

Best Leave In Conditioners for Normal to Fine or Thin Hair that Cost $8.00 or Less

• African Pride Leave In Conditioner
  • African Royale Daily Doctor Maximum Strength Leave In Cond.
  • Aussie Hair Insurance Leave In Cond. for Weak Distressed Hair
  • The Body Shop Amlika Leave In Cond.
  • Clairol Daily Renewal 5X Daily Nourishment Creme, Leave In Cond
  • Jheri Redding Extra ResQ Leave In Hair, Shine and Scalp Treat.
  • John Frieda Frizz Ease Daily Nourishment, Leave IN Fortifying Spray
  • Neutrogena Triple Moisture Sheer HydrationLeave In Foam
  • Pntene Repair & Restructure Daily Strengthening Treatment
  • Soft & Beautiful Botanicals Lite Creme Moisturizer
  • Soft Sheen Carson Care Free Curl Gold Instant Activator with Moisturizers

Best Leave In Conditioners for Normal to Fine or Thin Hair that Cost More Than $8.00

• Alterna Volumizing Spray Leave In Cond.
  • Aveda Elixir Daily Leave-On Hair Conditioner
  • bain de terre Herbal Sea Mist Leave In Detangler
  • Bumble & Bumble Prep
  • Framesi Biogenol Leave In Conditioner
  • Hayashi System 911 Pretein Mist Leave In Conditioner Detangler Body Builder
  • j.f. lazartigue Disentangling Instant Silk Protein Spray
  • Joico Integrity Leave In Conditioning Detangler
  • Matrix Biolage Fortifying Leave In Treatment
  • MOP Leave In Conditioner
  • Ouidad Botanical Boost
  • Paul Mitchell Color Care Color Protect Locking Spray
  • Phyto Phytomist Instant Hydrator with White Locust Flowers
  • Pureology Color Max Seal and Detangle
  • Quantum Reds Daily 2-Phase Color Protector, Detangles, Brightens & Protects All Shades of Red Hair
  • Redken So Long Heat TReat, Heat Activated Leave In Treatment for Long Hair
  • Rusk Sensories Brilliance Grapefruit and Honey Leave In Protector
  • Sebastian Laminates Detangling Milk  Leave In Conditioner
  • Sexy Hair Concepts Curly Sexy Hair Curl Power Curl Enhancer
  • Wella Color Preserve Detangler and Leave In Conditioner
Alayney View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alayney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2006 at 2:34am
Originally posted by Blondie1972 Blondie1972 wrote:

... it seemed like a great number of products that are well known as being 'excellent' hair care products seemed to be rated by her as 'not so hot'.  Who knows~ maybe they aren't as great as the hype *shrugging*

But WHOSE saying that all these (well known) products are "excellent"? The cosmetologists? They just want to make money. I think it's total brainwashing on the part of the hair industry. If Paula has really done the SCIENTIFIC resesarch, how can it not be true?

Yes, I've gotten those books from the library a couple of times and yes, as it stands, I believe what Paula has to say. I also think that just because she says a product is mediocre or crap, doesn't mean that YOU are not going to like it. Just like with medicine or vitamins -- even if it's only PSYCHOLOGICALLY working, so what -- go for it if it makes you happy. As for product -- it's sold by MOSTLY advertising and packaging. If everything was in black and white, how would you  choose which to buy? I'm not saying we NEED advertising and fancy packaging, what I'm saying is try to look beyond all that when determining what to buy. It's all mostly a racket!

Oh, and thanks for doing all that work! I'd much rather look at your list than dig that big book out again!

Edited by Alayney

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blondie1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2006 at 11:52am

I agree fully with all the points you made Alayney~

(No problem typing some of the products lists out either~ I thought it would be great if all our fellow hair colour addicts could see what is supposed be good for their hair.  I also thought it would be interesting to see what others thought about some of these so called 'best products'.)

The research Paula did is very extensive and fact based~ difficult to argue.  Also, like you said~ the people creating all the buzz on certain products are the ones making all the cash off it.

The last point you made is excellent too~ if you THINK something is working for you and it makes you feel happy and confident about your hair~ that is something in itself.  The happier and more confident we are, the more beautiful we will be inside and out.

The only concern I have is this~ If I find a product that I love ~and feel it makes my hair appear very healthy and protected, that's great.  But what if that product is acually damaging my hair more than I know and the ingredients that are making me think my hair is softer, healthier looking is actually doing unseen damage.  Is that possible?  Because of that though~ I WILL try to use th eproducts that Paula has stated are excellent.  (And she does rate many as just fine~ even if theu didn't make her 'best products' list).  Some may not simply because the are too expensive or they have potential to irritae the scalp~ but doesn't bother me or most people, etc.

t.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blondie1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2006 at 9:13pm

I thought I would post some more 'Best Products' for y'all (and before you ask~ Yes, I DO seem to have far too much time on my hands! :)  I've been in bed for two days with a horrible, nasty cold (just took the rest of the week off work~ Yay!)  So I'm just sitting in bed with my laptop ~a teeny bit bored as you can see.

Okay~ I will post more 'Best Products' that are related to hair that has been colour treated~ or needs nourishment and moisture, etc...

I also wanted to mention that Paula Begoun (the author) states that rinse out conditioners are far better than leave in cond. for hair that is in need of moisture.  I would have though otherwise, but apparently leave in Conditioners have so little of the good, moisturizing ingredients (a good thing or else hair would be heavy and greasy) that they cannot do much for dry and damaged hair~

Best Leave In Conditioners for Dry to Very Dry or Coarse Hair that Cost $8.00 of Less

• Bath and Body Works Botanical Nutrients Leave-In Creme Conditioner for Damaged or Color Treated Hair
  • ion Color Solutions Color Defense Leave in Protector
  • John Frieda Sheer Blonde Instant Detangler with Weightless Conditioners for all shades of Fine, Thin Blonde
  • L'Oreal Natures Therapy Heat Control Leave In Protection Creme
  • Neutrogena Overnight THerapy Replenishing Cream
  • ProVitamin Special Effects Chunky Ends, Instant Split Ends Mender
  • Soft & Beautiful Oil Moisturizing Lotion
  • Soft Sheen Carson Care Free Curl Activator
  • Zero Frizz Smooth Ends Leave In Conditioning Treatment

Best Leave In Conditioners for Dry to Very Dry or Coarse Hair that Cost More Than $8.00

• Goldwell Kerasilk Rich Care Leave In Silk Fluid
  • Kerastase Nutritive Nutri-Liss Instant Smoothing Treatment for Dry and Unruly Hair
  • Ouidad Balancing Rinse
  • Redken All Soft Addictive Hair Transformer Softness for Dry Hair
  • Redken Fresh Curls Spin Control Curl Defining Leave In Treatment
  • Rene Furterer Carthame No Rinse Protective Cream
  • Rusk Sensories Smoother Passionflower & Aloe Leave In Texturizing Conditioner
  • Sebastian Collection Titanium Protector Leave In Conditioner
  • SEXY Hair Concepts Healthy Sexy Hair Soy Potion Miraculous Leave In Treatment
  • SEXY Hair Concepts Silky Sexy Hair Drench for Dry Hair

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blondie1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2006 at 10:06pm

Okay, I'll post some 'Best Products' Leave In Conditioners here~tb

Best Conditioners for Normal to Dry Hair that is Normal to Fine or Thin that Cost $8.00 or Less

• Alberto V05 Balsam & Protein Conditioner
  • Aussie Slip Detangler for Tangly Hair
  • Avon Advance Tecniques Curly & Chic Conditioner
  • Charles Worthington Results SuperConditioner
  • Citre Shine Moisture Burst Conditioner
  • Dove Foam Conditioner Extra Volume
  • finesse Color Care Conditioner
  • ion Anti Frizz Solutions Straightening Conditioner, Moisture for Curly, Wavy, Frizzy Hair
  • Joico Lite Daily Conditioner for all Hair Types
  • L'Oreal Vive Curl Moisture Conditioner for Curly Hair
  • SEXY Hair Concepts Big Sexy Hair Big Volume Conditioner
  • TRESemme European Revitalizing Colour Care Conditioner

Best Conditioners for Normal to Dry Hair that is Normal to Fine or Thin that Cost More than $8.00

• Alterna Caviar Treatment Conditioner with Age Control Complex
  • ARTec Textureline Volume Conditioner
  • Back to Basics Marine Color Protection Conditioner
  • Biosilk Silk Filler
  • The Body Shop Nettle Oil Balance Conditioner
  • Frederic Fekkai Apple Cider Clean Conditioner
  • Graham Webb Condition 30 Second Sheer Conditioner
  • Hayashi System 911 Daily Remedy Conditioner for Damaged Hair
  • Head Games Tangle Buster Daily Detangling Conditioner
  • Jason Natural Cosmetics Damage Control Creme Conditioner for Frizzy, Dry or Color Treated Hair
  • Kiehl's Extra Strength Conditioning Rinse for Dry Hair
  • KMS Color Vitality Color Revitalizer
  • L'Anza Dry Hair Formula Moisture Treatment
  • Matrix Amplify Volumizing System Instant Conditioner
  • Modern Elixirs by Paul Mitchell Color Therapy Conditioner
  • Nioxin Bionutrient Protectives Moisture & Strength
  • Paul Mitchell Smoothing Condition Super Skinny Daily Treatment
  • Redken So Long Conditioner Equalizing Strength for Hair
  • Senscience Hydrating Hair Masque
  • TIGI Bed Head Control Freak Conditioner

Best Conditioners for Dry to Ver Dry Hair that is Normal to Fine or Thin That Cost More than $8.00

• ARTec Textureline Smoothing Condtioner
  • fresh Meadowfoam Cream Treatment Conditioner
  • Fudge 1 Shot Hair Reconstructing Clkinic in a Bottle
  • H2O+ Sea Plankton Restructurizing Conditioner
  • Jheri Redding Extra Humidicon Moisturizing Conditioner
  • John Masters Organics Citrus & Neroli Detangler
  • Joico Moisturizer Intensive Moisture Treatment Extra Conditioning
  • KMS Daily Repair Reconstructor
  • L'Anza Be Long, Long Hair Formula Strengthen
  • Nexxus Y Serum Younger Looking Hair Conditioner
  • Redken All Soft Heavy Cream, Super Treatment for Dry/ Brittle Hair
  • Redken Water Rush Noisturizing Treatment for Normal/ Dry Hair
  • Sebastian Collection Slinky Conditioner
  • TIGI Bed Head Dumb Blonde Conditioner, for After Highlights
  • Wella Lifetex Wellness Personal Trainer, Smooth and Defrizz Control

Best Conditioners for Dry to Very Dry Hair that is Normal to Thick or Coarse That Cost More Than $8.00

• Aveda Scalp Benefits Balancing Conditioner
  • Back to Basics
  • bain de Terre Lavender Color Protecting Conditioner
  • BioSilk Fruit c*cktail
  • Burts Bees Avacado Butter Hair Treatment with Nettles & Rosemary
  • Charles Worthington Dream Hair Stay True Moisture Surge Conditioner for Color TReated and Dehydrated Hair
  • Frederic Fekkai Moisturizing Condtioner with Shea Butter
  • Fudge Oomf Conditioner, Extra Gutz for Fine Limp Hair
  • Graham Webb Making Waves Curl Defining Conditioner
  • H2O+ Milk Conditioner
  • ICE Power Smoothie
  • ISO Color Preserve Condition, Color Care Conditioner
  • KMS Daily Fixx Moisture Reconstructor
  • L'Anza Strait-Line Temporary Curl Relaxing Formula Conditioner
  • Matrix Biolage Ultra Hydrating Balm
  • Mop Lemongrass Conditioner for Fine Hair
  • Nexxus Humectress Ultimate Moisturizing Conditioner
  • Pureology SuperStraight Condition
  • Redken Fresh Curls Conditioner, Moisture and Frizz Control for Curly Hair
  • Sebastian Laminates Conditioner

KellyH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KellyH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2006 at 10:26pm
Thanks for all your efforts. I'll be checking some of these out.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blondie1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2006 at 10:30pm

"Don't Go Shopping for Hair-Care Products Without Me" ~by Paula Begoun 

Best Products Guide ~ Styling Products

Best Silicone Sprays for All Hair Types ~especially Normal to Fine or Thin Hair~ That Cost More THan $12

• Alterna Hemp Seed Spray Shine
  • ARTec Pure Hair Neroli Reflecting Spray Shine
  • Aveda Brilliant Spray On Shine
  • BioSilk Silk Therapy Shine On
  • Curl Friends Anti Frenzy Smootherator
  • Goldwell Trendline Shine Spray
  • Joico Color Endurance Vibrant Shine Mist
  • Mastey Lumineux High Gloss Shine Mist
  • Matrix Biolage Smoothing Shine Milk
  • Modern Elixirs by Paul Mitchell Illuminating Shine Spray
  • Redken Vinyl Glam 02 Mega Shine Spray
  • Rene Furterer Spray Gloss
  • Sexy Hair Concepts Straight Sexy Hair Smooth & Seal Aerated Anti-Frizz Spray
  • TIGI Bed Head Head Rush, Shine Adrenaline with a Superfine Mist

Best Silicone Sprays for Dry to Very Dry Hair That is Normal to Coarse or Thick That Cost More Than $12

• Bumble & Bumble Gloss
  • Framesi Shine In Polishing Spray
  • Frederic Fekkai Protein Rx Reparative Spray
  • Hayashi System Design Spray and Shine Polishing Spray Seals and Shines
  • j.f. lazartigue Revitalizing Shining Blush for Hair
  • Joico Spray Glace Shine Enhancer
  • Mop Glisten Weightless Spray Shine
  • Philip B Hair Care Shine
  • Rusk Deepshine Sea Kelp Shine Spray

Best Silicone SERUMS for All Hair Types~ Particularly Normal to Fine or Thin Hair~ That Cost More THan $12

• Aveda Light Elements Smoothing Fluid
  • Ecru Silk Nectar Serum
  • Fudge De Frizz Polish and Control for All Types of Hair
  • Goldwell Kerasilk Rich Care Leave In Silk Fluid
  • ISO Multiplicity Glosser Shine Serum
  • Kenra Platinum Silkening Gloss
  • Matrix Biolage Shine Renewal
  • Paul Mitchell Smoothing Condition Super Skinny Serum
  • Rusk Design Series Sheer Brilliance Polisher
  • Sebastian Laminates Drops Liquid Polish
  • Sexy Hair Concepts Silky Sexy Hair Frizz Eliminator
  • TIGI Bed Head Girl Toys Shine Serum

Best Silicone Serums for Dry to Very Dry Hair That is Normal to Coarse or Thick and Cost More Than $12

• Alterna Hemp Seed Polishing Gloss
  • Frederic Fekkai Finishing Polish
  • Jheri Redding Extra ResQ Hair Polisher Daily Hair Treatment
  • MOP Glisten Shine Drops
  • Nexxus Retexxtur Smoothing Design Shine
  • Paul Mitchell Smoothing Style Gloss Drops Frizz Free Defining Polish
  • Pureology Super Straight Relaxing Serum
  • Redken Smooth Down Heat Glide, Protective Smoother for Very Dry/ Unruly Hair
  • Rusk Deep Shine Anti Frizz Serum
  • Wella Bonk Amped Lomg Hair Styler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blondie1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2006 at 10:40pm

Best Styling Sprays With Light Hold~ More Than $12

• ABBA Sets Spray Gel
  • Frederic Fekkai Instant Volume Root Lifting Spray
  • Garren New York Designing Spray Tonic
  • Kenra Thickening Spray
  • KMS Curl Up Curl Gloss
  • Nexxus NexxStyler Alcohol Free Sheer Volume Spray Gel
  • TIGI Bed Head Upright, Heat Activated Curl Maker

Best Styling Sprays with Light to Medium Hold~ More Than $12

• Matrix Logics Thermal Fixative
  • Michael diCesare Amplifying Tonic Hair Thickener
  • Scruples Enforce, Fast Drying Styling Spray
  • TIGI Catwalk Frisky, Scrunching Gel with Attitude

Best Styling Sprays with Medium to Firm Hold~ More Than $12

• ARTec Pure Hair Borage Supporting LiquidGel
  • Nexxus Nexxtacy Alcohol Free Sustained Hold Styling and Finishing Spray
  • Scruples V2 Double Volume for Hair

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blondie1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2006 at 10:55pm

BEST STYLING CREAMS AND LOTIONS

Best Styling Creams and Lotions for Normal to Fine or Thin Hair That Cost More Than $10

• American Crew Texture Creme
  • Bumble & Bumble Brilliantine
  • Framesi Biogenol Color Care System Stop Frizz, Anti-Humectant
  • Frederic Fekkai Luscious Curls
  • Garren New York Styling Creme
  • j.f. lazartigue Root Volumizer
  • Joico Forming ICE Styling Creme
  • Matrix Biolage Curl Defining Creme
  • MOP C-System Texture Lotion, Light Hold With a Natural Finish
  • Redken Lush Whip 04 Styling Cream
  • Rusk Being Gutsy Thickener

Best Styling Creams and Lotions for Thick or Coarse Hair~ More Than $10

• Alterna Caviar Age FRee Protectant Smoothing Creme
  • American Crew Liquid Line Structure, Firm Hold Styling Lotion
  • ARTec Textureline Texture Creme Weightless Volume for Moisture Deprived Hair
  • Aveda Brilliant Universal Styling Creme
  • Back to Basics Holding Paste for Men
  • Framesi Shine IN Polishing Cream
  • Head Games Messed Up Madness, Molding Creme
  • Kenra Platinum Shaping Cream, Smooth & Form
  • Kiehl's Creme with Silk Groom
  • KMS Curl Up Control; Creme
  • L'Anza Urban Elements Styling Cream
  • Matrix sleek.look Extreme Styling Cream
  • Nolita Whipped Wax, Lightweight Texture, Big City Shine
  • Paul Mitchell Style, Re-Works, Versatile Texture Cream
  • Phyto Pro Ultra Brilliance Creme
  • Redken Outshine 01 Anti Frizz Polishing Milk
  • Rusk Being Smooth Creme
  • Sebastian Collection Buff, Casual Waxless Pomade
  • Sexy Hair Concepts Short Sexy Hair Quick Change, Shaping Balm
  • TIGI Bed Head After Party, Smoothing Cream for Silky, Shiny, Healthy Looking Hair!
Alayney View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alayney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2006 at 1:01am

Originally posted by Blondie1972 Blondie1972 wrote:

The only concern I have is this~ If I find a product that I love ~and feel it makes my hair appear very healthy and protected, that's great.  But what if that product is acually damaging my hair more than I know and the ingredients that are making me think my hair is softer, healthier looking is actually doing unseen damage.  Is that possible?

THAT is a tough one. I really don't know if that's possible. I would say that would have to be a judgment call on the part of the individual. Myself, if I like something A LOT but then I hear it's bad, I would probably do more research and ask around, and then decide if I still want to use the product. If it was a shampoo, for example, I probably would continue using it, realizing that if something bad happened, I was forewarned -- I'm willing to take that chance. It's just SO hard to know who or what to believe. I am a HUGE skeptic when it comes to hair products; by skeptic I mean when I hear people saying "Don't use THAT; it will RUIN your hair." NOTHING has ever ruined my hair. I had been hearing A LOT that you shouldn't use products with "cones" (silicones), that they were BAD, but I always have and with good results. But then I find out here on this site that they work for some people and not for others ...

What's important to me is getting the most/best for my money. What I like about Paula's books is I can find out if that more expensive product is just as good as a lesser priced one. Myself, chances are I'd go for the less expensive item. I also like knowing that certain ingredients that are "hyped up" through advertising might just be "ordinary." Another thing I find interesting is how we realize, after reading her books, that advertising has CHANGED (or reared) our thinking. I mean, I'll see it right there, the SCIENTIFIC evidence, in black and white and I'll still cling to my bottle of "X." It's like I've been programmed or something. I guess I/we have. 

That was interesting about the leave-in not being as good as the washout. I use both. I like the result MUCH better when I do; plus it helps get the comb through -- if I didn't use a leave-in I'd be left with a serious rat's next on my head (LOL). So I guess it's still good for me. Hmmmm, I suppose I'm not REALLY using it as a "conditioner" as I am more a "detangler." I think I'll close as it's starting to get philosophical.

P.S. I noticed that with this second round of product listings you did all the ones "over" a certain price and none "less" than. (In the first round you did the less thans.) I was just wondering if that was a mistake. OF COURSE, beggars can't be choosy; I don't expect you to anymore work on this! Just curious!

Edited by Alayney
Alayney View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alayney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2006 at 1:39am

"Best Volumizing/Conditioning Shampoos for Dry to very Dry Hair that is Normal to to Fine or Thin"

Hey -- this always perplexes me: Is it possible to MOISTURIZE and VOLUMIZE? It seems to me something volumizing would be more drying. What does everybody think (or know)?

Edited by Alayney

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blondie1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2006 at 12:56pm
Originally posted by Alayney Alayney wrote:

I noticed that with this second round of product listings you did all the ones "over" a certain price and none "less" than. (In the first round you did the less thans.) I was just wondering if that was a mistake. OF COURSE, beggars can't be choosy; I don't expect you to anymore work on this! Just curious!

Yeah~ I guess I did do that, I didn't really even realize it~ *laughing*

Tonight when I post more I will edit my previous posts and put the 'matching' products right above or below the other similar products.  That way we can easily compare the same type of products that are over a certain price to the ones under a certain price.

t

Tinkerbelle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tinkerbelle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2006 at 8:38pm
Great Post! Lots of great info
Rebekah View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rebekah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2006 at 3:59pm

Okay, I gotta post here   My hair was actually drying out and crisping off until I got her book and tried a few of the recommended products for my hair type.  I must say, the condition of my hair is much nicer, softer, and fuller. 

I was buying the salon products from Supercuts, big mistake.  Dried my hair out.  Needless to say I no longer buy hair care products from there. 

Anyway, I like her book, and found it very informative.   

eatgreenjello View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eatgreenjello Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2006 at 11:49am

I am a HUGE fan of her hair book and her cosmetics book.  It's really like a business/marketing book because the whole hair and cosmetic industry is run off of advertising (usually false).  Don't get me wrong, I don't like monopolies and love the right to choose.  She's helped me figure out fact from false advertising, what to look for in a products ingredient list, what certain ingredients are etc. 

The funniest and most ironic part of the hair and cosmetics industry is that some of the high high end lines like Kerastase are owned by L'Oreal, and the drugstore products are the same thing, but some people swear that the expensive products work better!  The laugh is on them on this one.

eatgreenjello View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eatgreenjello Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2006 at 11:51am
Also, I wanted to thank you so much for taking the time to post a lot of her findings regarding which shampoos/ conditioners are better than others!  That was a lot of work!!  I am like you, when I first found and bought her books, I couldn't put them down.  I still refer to them very often.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic