Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Any suggestions on how to get this look?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Yoda View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yoda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Any suggestions on how to get this look?
    Posted: January 12 2006 at 12:22am
Hello...
Ok, have you folks got any suggestions as to how I can do this look at home?
I've bought the highlighting kit already. I'm just looking for suggestions that would make it easier to highlight my hair like Victoria Beckham's here:

Blondie1972 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blondie1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2006 at 1:02pm

Wish I could help, but I'm not so good with anything except pale blonde!  (And then I even get help!~ sorry!)  I'm sure someone will be along soon who can give some suggestions though.

I just wanted to say that I think it's a good choice though!  Great contrast and a very nice colour.

Good luck~ hope you post a photo of your hair when it's done so we can see how great it turned out!

Yoda View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yoda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2006 at 6:16pm
Thanks Blondie! I will post a photo when it's done!
hannebash View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hannebash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2006 at 9:33pm
i had a look like that for years, thanks to my very experienced wonderful hairdresser. I got it with foil highlights (caramel-colored) over my dark-brown hair. I know it is really hard to achieve the right look and color with home highlights. They tend to be poorly placed and either orange or yellow. I wouldnt DIY unless you really know what you are doing. If you have dark hair, you might want to save up for a pro.

I'm sure lots of people acheive a good result at home, but the darker you are, the more of a risk you have of going really orangey. Foils are the best way to go also, and after watching my hairdresser foil my hair, I know I could never do that without lots of training. It also took a couple of hours with the foiling, checking the color (plus it develops faster in some areas because foiling takes a while so she had to remove foils at different times) and then toning to get the right shade. It looks great but it is complicated.
Alayney View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alayney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2006 at 11:42pm
Is it me or does her hair look very different in both pictures? Maybe it's just the lighting? The top pic looks very blonde; the bottom looks like very dark hair with the blonde streaks. Is your natural color dark?

I took a picture in to a salon that looked VERY much like the second pic, which I love by the way, and I came out with completely blonde hair. That was the "mistake" that I've been living (and LOVING) for about six years now.
Yoda View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yoda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2006 at 2:02am
Hello Ladies...
   Yeah, I know all about the risks of highlighting dark hair at home.  If it doesn't come out orange, it'll be red! That's definitely a slight concern, I must admit.
 My hair isn't naturally dark. But I've recently dyed it a medium brown color. 
 The only time I've ever highlighted my hair at home was when I was ...15. And I kinda got a bit carried away and frustrated and ended up doing the whole hair blonde, which wasn't what I was going for.
 I'm planning on doing a strand test first, to see what color it'll come out as (red, orange etc.). Hopefully it'll come out right.

Regarding the pictures above: The first picture is more recent then the second. So, it's most definitely a different tone of blonde and different placement and all of that.
Here are more recent pictures:

Rebekah View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rebekah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2006 at 9:11pm
You know, I'm not very good with levels and tones and such, but her hair really looks like it's just got some bleached highlights (level 7 maybe) that have been toned down to be an ashy color.   
Yoda View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yoda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2006 at 3:10am
Yeah, you're right. That's what it looks like.

So, I am attempting the look now. Doing the highlighting (after many strand tests)...once that's done, I will go over the highlights with an ash blonde color...and judging by the strand test...it looks like I'll get the result I want! *Fingers Crossed*

Rebekah...I'd just like to thank you for all your help! I really appreciate it!!
Rebekah View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rebekah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2006 at 11:59am

You are welcome for the help and post pics if you can of your results. 

Yoda View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yoda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2006 at 3:49pm
Pictures....

Well, this here is more the result of the highlighting. I went back and put a "Medium Ash Blonde" on my fairly damp, just highlighted hair. I guess the color didn't take well because it was still damp (haven't got a blow dryer in the house).

So now...it is this rather bright yellow blonde. I'm going to buy Loreal Excellence hair color in "Ash Blonde"...hopefully that'll tone it down...at least to the color I originally wanted. But we will see. I can't imagine it being any more....drastic-looking than this.

Edited by Yoda
Rebekah View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rebekah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2006 at 10:23pm

I don't think it looks too bad--it actually looks very gold to me.  Remember that after you bleach the hair it has an unnatural color to it.  Also, BLUE + Yellow make GREEN so be careful with those ash colors on that shade you have now.  You might want to go with a demi permanent in a champagne or neutral.     

http://store.darisimall.com/801019.html

http://store.yahoo.com/physlabs/069560.html

What did you use to lighten?  And are those pics the results of what your hair looked like after you colored it with Medium Ash Blonde (Permanent)?

Edited by Rebekah
Yoda View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yoda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2006 at 11:50pm
Hey Rebekah...
 Thanks for the warning about the ash colors making GREEN!! I was actually just on the phone with my mother and she brought that up to me. So, that's a very good thing to know.

Ok, so neutral or champagne won't make it look green, correct?

These pictures are after I had applied the medium ash blonde color. But I don't think the color took to my hair because it was damp when I applied it.

Oh and I used this to highlight: http://clairol.com/brand/blonding/frostandtip.jsp Both Frost and Tip Original and the Frost and Tip Creme.

Edited by Yoda
Yoda View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yoda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2006 at 11:59pm

Would this be good to use, do you think?
The color is Dark Champagne Blonde.
Rebekah View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rebekah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2006 at 1:45am

A neutral shade has a mix of all three primary colors, blue, yellow, and red; which makes neutral good for toning without "greening"  , LOL! 

A Champagne shade is sort of ashy but with a bit of warmth, so you might like it.  The actress above actually looks like she has pretty warm highlights. 

Strand test the color that you want, that's the best way to know for SURE how the color will appear on your hair. 

I like the Dark Champagne color, it's pretty, but beware of looking at the shade the Model's hair is on the box color and TRYING to achieve that color.  Often that color has really been modified by lighting, cardstock, and retouches.

Good luck and let us know how it turns out. 

Edited by Rebekah
Yoda View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yoda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2006 at 2:14am
Once again I THANK YOU!!

Let us pray that it comes out ok this time.......and that the hair itself does not break off! lol
Much Love To You...
 I'll let you know how it turns out.
 ...Jessica

Edited by Yoda
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic