Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

now that is strange

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
always_alone View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote always_alone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: now that is strange
    Posted: January 13 2006 at 10:03am
For teh hairstyles search if you look up 18-29 inches and trendy all that comes up is very short hair. What are they trying to say?
Elizabeth
2b/M/ii
pixie/20"/waist
Hal View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2006 at 10:55am

maybe they are giving you a hint...lol

AnaisSatin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AnaisSatin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2006 at 1:34pm

Maybe all the available photos submitted or collected just happen to be shorthaired because of availability (models don't tend to have long hair, after all). Or maybe the number signifies age range and not inches? Just some guesses.

my LJ, 40 inches long
PurpleBubba View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PurpleBubba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2006 at 2:31pm
Another posibility is that somehow the wrong pictures got linked to those numbers.

Edited by PurpleBubba

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote always_alone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2006 at 2:36pm
No it's under hair length. Not age. And it just wasn't once...it happens over and over again. Well, I'm just going to keep thinking it is a horrible joke.

I was trying to see what certain lengths would look on certain people because I wanted to grow my hair out to a longer length. Not too long though...maybe 24-28 inches.
Elizabeth
2b/M/ii
pixie/20"/waist

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PurpleBubba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2006 at 5:08pm
I have had problems looking through the gallery in recent months. I think some of the pages are not linked correctly or something. I was having a similar problem but the last time I tried whatever it was I was trying to do it seemed to be fixed.

Keep in mind that this site is huge. It is very easy for links to be put in the wrong place or mistyped or any number of possibilities. It's also gone through many changes over the years with things being moved around or duplicated. I've at times found the same article on more than one page or a link going to the wrong page. It happens. Karen and Jeff and the staff do a great job considering how big the site is. I have told Karen before about some of the things I found and she was happy I did.
Perhaps if you contact Karen she can see what the problem is or she'll contact the person who handles that? I'm sure she'd appreciate the help.

Or perhaps they are using a different method of measurements?

Edited by PurpleBubba
Layla View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Layla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2006 at 6:20pm
I've had that same problem. I have to search without specifying a length otherwise I get only 2-4 results.
Type: 3c/4a Natural
Current Length: 6"
Goal: Healthy, tip of nose /neck/shoulder length hair.
BC: 02/08/06
Kuroneko View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kuroneko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2006 at 3:56am

It's all part of my great master plan, of course!  *rubs hands together and snickers like a cartoon villain*

More awesome than a manatee!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote always_alone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2006 at 7:39am
Originally posted by Kuroneko Kuroneko wrote:

It's all part of my great master plan, of course!  *rubs hands together and snickers like a cartoon villain*

LMAO! You're so silly...why would you do anything?
Elizabeth
2b/M/ii
pixie/20"/waist
Karen Shelton View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Karen Shelton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2006 at 7:41am

Unfortunately (or fortunately for visitors) we currently have over 6,000+ images in the gallery databases although only about 3,500 - 4,000 display at the present time. I have several gorgeous new photos of long hair that are waiting to be loaded.

We have have another 4,000 images (updos, men's hair, celeb hair) that we have yet to load into the DB because of space restrictions and the time it takes to prep the images, categorize them, load them and then classify by type.  The result is that the required amount of storage space is huge and very expensive to maintain & display. 

So we recently went to a new paid service to try and maintain the integrity of the gallery photos w/out charging for access and to keep our storage/display costs at a minimum, as much as possible.  As a result, when we moved the gallery (about 2 weeks ago), some links apparently got disconnected, although it was not intentional in any way.

This was not meant to be "some horrible joke"  There is no evil plan nor is there any "hidden" meanings with the Gallery...we are not trying to "say" anything about length of hair, type of hair or trendiness.  It is simply a mechanical problem that we are currently wrangling with.  HairBoutique.com is not in any way judgemental about what it the "right type of hair". 

At HB.com we currently have team members with extremely long hair, a man with 360 waves (BiggMike), a woman with gorgeous shoulder length white/gray hair, a woman with super curly "Greek" hair and three college guys with hair that changes daily from bleached, multi-colored, spiked & other trendy to completely shaved (at their choice). We have six other team members with various lengths of short trendy looks.  One woman has medium length dreads right now. They all try various hair care products and we don't encourage/discourage/judge/hire or fire related to personal appearance or hair type or texture.  If anything I may grill them about hair challenges to understand more about their daily strand challenges. A lot of the team members are voluntary guinea pigs for our new products as we test before releasing to market.

So in essence what I am trying to say is that instead of wondering about our potential hidden motives or whether we are trying to "mess with people", please just email me at shelton@hairboutique.com and let me know that obviously there is a linkage problem and I will have someone look into it. Or you can do it from here by clicking on Report.

Of course now that I have seen this thread, I will be looking into it later today when I get to the office. 

And yes...Purple Bubba...thank you for the vote of confidence.  There are currently over 150,000+ primary pages that we manage on a daily basis at HB.com including the Gallery, the HairTalk boards, the Marketplace store and over 10,000 pages of free hair/beauty & related articles and various columns. 

We do our very best but sometimes "sh*t happens" and sometimes we don't even see it immediately.

That which doesn't kill you makes you stronger or drives you totally insane. :-)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PurpleBubba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2006 at 1:08pm
You're welcome Karen. I hope that I didn't come off as some sort of know it all or anything like that. I could have told you about this myself but since I had already had pleasant dealings with you I wanted to let someone else have a chance to meet you.

Plus I like to encourage people to learn or try things.

Thank you for doing your best to provide so much and keep it free to view. :)
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Karen Shelton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2006 at 1:20pm

Hi PB,

You are so kind to worry.  No...you are just fine.  And I appreciate all your help with heads up on things.  When you are dealing with software, it breaks all the time....as anyone with a PC has learned. 

:-)

Jeff has been working on the Gallery since this AM and it appears to be fixed.  What happened (with the latest problem) is that the "pointer" for age got stuck in the "pointer" for hair lengths (short, long, etc.,).  It is now fixed...at least I just tested it and it seems fine.

I just wish for the future that when people discover problems on the site that they would do a report or email me or Customer Care when something is broken rather than assume it is some sort of evil plot.  (sigh).  While I try to keep track of everything possible, sometimes things fall through the cracks.

Also, as a general FYI for this thread, not only do we have specific long hair galleries...but there are several celebs with "real" long hair in the Celeb galleries.  I will be adding the 15 year old who started in the new Pocahantas movie later today...if I get caught up with my mounds of paperwork.

Thanks again PB.

Have a fabulous rest of the weekend.

That which doesn't kill you makes you stronger or drives you totally insane. :-)
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Karen Shelton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2006 at 1:21pm

Originally posted by always_alone always_alone wrote:

No it's under hair length. Not age. And it just wasn't once...it happens over and over again. Well, I'm just going to keep thinking it is a horrible joke.

I was trying to see what certain lengths would look on certain people because I wanted to grow my hair out to a longer length. Not too long though...maybe 24-28 inches.

It was age.  We do lengths by super short, short, long....etc.,

AnaisSatin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AnaisSatin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2006 at 3:29pm

Hi Karen,

I'm glad Jeff is looking into it  The styles gallery is something I've looked through several times with joy, and it's been a great source of ideas. Thank you to you and Jeff for maintaining it (and HB as a whole)

Hugs and have a great week
Anais

my LJ, 40 inches long

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote always_alone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2006 at 4:21pm
Originally posted by Karen Shelton Karen Shelton wrote:

Originally posted by always_alone always_alone wrote:

It was age.  We do lengths by super short, short, long....etc.,

OMG! It changed!
Elizabeth
2b/M/ii
pixie/20"/waist
Kuroneko View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kuroneko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2006 at 12:23am
Rats!  Foiled again!  *goes back to cartoon villain hideout to formulate next master plan*
More awesome than a manatee!
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Karen Shelton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2006 at 12:26am
Originally posted by AnaisSatin AnaisSatin wrote:

Hi Karen,

I'm glad Jeff is looking into it  The styles gallery is something I've looked through several times with joy, and it's been a great source of ideas. Thank you to you and Jeff for maintaining it (and HB as a whole)

Hugs and have a great week
Anais

Thank you Anais.  You are a doll.

Hugs back.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic