Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

One length or layered?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Renata22 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Renata22 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: One length or layered?
    Posted: January 18 2006 at 8:08pm

I grew my hair from a crew cut, and now the back reaches my bra. The front is a little below my chin.

To those here, is your hair layered or one length? What are the pros and cons of having your hair the way it is?

To those with one length hair, did you trim the bottom layer as it grew? If not, what did you do?

DaveDecker View Drop Down
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveDecker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2006 at 8:46pm
Welcome Renata!

Fantastic growth you've had... I started with hair only a little longer (typical short layered men's style), and it's now a bit longer.

As I grew it out, I left it layered - I wanted length more than one-length hair.  But I also gradually grew out the layers.  Basically I had the longest (bottom) layer trimmed until the upper layers caught up.  It wasn't until it reached my waist that the layers were gone.  (That's how much I wanted it to be long over how much I wanted it to be one-length).

Now it has natural layering since (as you can see) it tapers to nothing.  I don't advise this extremity of natural layering as it tends to tangle very easily.
Tyranna View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tyranna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2006 at 8:59pm
Sounds like you've got some good length to your hair.

Style depends upon what you are going for and what kind of hair you have.

If you have any natural wave or curls, layers work quite well, especially longer layers.  (The longer the hair style, the longer the layers should be for symmetry.)  They can look very, very nice and I have always loved that look.

However,though layered hair might appear thick, you will actually have thinner hair as a result.  If your hair is more on the thin side, and if you want to wear nice thick pony tails or braids, one length is better.  No one with layered hair could have as thick as hair as seen below:

http://www.hairboutique.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=3850 6&PN=2

http://english.people.com.cn/200512/27/eng20051227_231144. html

One-length hair is generally better for more hair up-dp options.  But if you have really thick hair and fear the possible 'Cousin It' factor in having long hair, layers can help too and lighten the hair weight on your head.

Either way is good.

My hair is thick, fine and wavey.  Although long layers can suit it quite well, I have worn it it at one length (well, not counting the front bangs) for a number of years.  The sides near the front are shorter.  For lack of a better measurement, they reach down to about mid-breast level.  My hair tapers from there to a greater length in back.  It goes just past my waist at the longest point.

I originally grew it out from longer layers.  I think all I did was simply trim the ends as it grew and not worry about the length variety until it was no longer an issue.

AnaisSatin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AnaisSatin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2006 at 11:47pm

I have naturally tapered hair like Dave.... from not cutting for three years. I find it a lot easier to do updos with tapered hair, because my bun coils get thinner and thinner, finally tucking neatly behind the big coils.

ETA Then again, braids get "hairy" really quickly when you have layers or tapering.

Overall, I think I'd be happier to keep the natural tapering. It's really easy to do split-end searches because almost all the ends stick out when you twist a section of hair.

HTH
Anais

Edited by AnaisSatin
my LJ, 40 inches long
Renata22 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Renata22 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2006 at 9:01am

Thanks, everyone, those were some good points.

I've never thought about the effect of the "weight" of my hair when it gets longer. I'm black and have very thick, very course hair. It looks like I literally have twice as much as many of my family members (I don't know where I got it from), and my straight hair lying down is almost as big as most Afros standing on end. The very bottom does look somewhat thinner than the rest of it, but not noticeable to anyone but me.

I want it long, but I also want it easy to handle and easy to style. I don't really have a problem with it now, but I was mostly wondering about when it's longer.

Tyranna View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tyranna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2006 at 1:58pm

The only real difficulty with longer hair is that it will take more time to wash, condition, dry it etc.  Plus you have to be careful of the styling choices you make and the effects on your hair.  A number of people who post here won't even color their long hair for fear of the damage.  I myself color, but stick to shades very close to my own.  LOL, I shudder to think of the damage a person goes through to get that Gwen Steffani white-blond.

Odd thing is, you often do not see many black women grow their hair very long.  Young girls - yes, but not so much as they get older.

Renata22 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Renata22 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2006 at 2:50pm

Nearly EVERY black girl I know (including myself) chop all of our hair off at about age 13, usually to look more grown-up.

enfys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote enfys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2006 at 3:21pm

My hair is mostly one length exept about an inch from the centre part either side I have in a deep v-shape.  It's barely noticeable, but when I ware my hair down it makes a mist rather than a lump of hair.

I don't have very thick hair, but I think thick hair usually looks nicer with layers, rather than one length.

Renata, sounds like you've done a great job so far with your growth  Congratulations

http://www.myspace.com/waltzin_with_the_open_sea
Ah-ha, a place I can soon add hair pics...once I do some
Renata22 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Renata22 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2006 at 6:46pm

Thanks!

Believe it or not, but I've cut my hair crew cut short at least 5 times in the last 10 years. I would try to grow it out, and get frustrated with the thickness, and cut it again. It was so free to get up at 7 am, brush my hair without even looking in the mirror at it, and leave. Or I could jump out the shower, and my hair was so short, I didn't even need to towel dry it.

This time, I decided to just be patient and leave it alone. Also, it helps that I'm a stay at home mother now, and don't have to do as much to my hair anymore.

I do like this look much better, it's more becoming on me.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic