Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

CO experience thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
SpecialKitty View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SpecialKitty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2006 at 10:16pm
Hi, I thought I'd resurrect this thread - hope that's okay. Just wondering how the CO experimenting is going? I did CO this week and last (before that I did CO one day and diluted shampoo three or four days later). My hair feels a bit limp with the CO but seems very clean and shiny. No itchy scalp or dandruff either. The conditioners I'm using are alternating each CO with Aveda Curresence, Aveda Pure Abundance, Lush Veganese, with Giovanni Direct Leave-In at the end. Maybe the leave-in is causing the limpness? Hmmmm.
LadyFrog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LadyFrog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2006 at 4:45am
The CO is still kind of going. I washed my hair twice a week the first week and the next I left it five days. I was using somerfield own brand conditioner for fine/greasy hair as the cleaner and the own brand one for normal hair as the conditioner. My hair was clean enough at the roots and it wasn't greasy although it was kind of...coated. The thing is, the outer layer of my hair was all kind of separating and looking a little stringy. It looked fine when pulled back but nasty loose. So this morning I did a diluted shampoo. I think I'll stick to CO but maybe shampoo once in a while to get rid of residue. Wasn't there someone else who does that who said so on here?

I was thinking, like Anais's list of useful threads, maybe we should keep this thread up, posting about our own experiences of CO so that people wanting to try CO can read about it without starting a million threads on the same topic. What do you think?

28.02.06 34 inches
Photos
Lifes a grave. Dig it.
-Wednesday 13
AnaisSatin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AnaisSatin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2006 at 2:23pm

I like your idea of having a sum total thread. If you like, you can edit the title of your first post as "CO experiences thread" or a similar title, and that will change the thread name.

Anais 

my LJ, 40 inches long

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SpecialKitty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2006 at 6:50pm

I finally broke down today and did an ACV rinse and DSO, then conditioned and used Giovanni Direct Leave-In as the final conditioner. The itchies finally came, and also much stringiness. I am going to try to go one week with only CO again and maybe just wear my hair up all the time. It sounds, from Karen's experience, that the more time and the longer the hair, the better CO works, so I'm going to stick with it for most washes. Thanks Anais and Karen for the abbreviations and making this a regular thread.

Sasumi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sasumi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2006 at 5:51pm
Ehhh, question about CO washing.

Once I heavily oiled my hair with olive oil, and I tried just rinsing it out with water, and then applied conditioner and rinsed it out (without shampooing) and the next day my hair was terribly oily.

So, do you use shampoo on days when you oil?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SpecialKitty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2006 at 7:52pm
I'm not oiling right now - it didn't work great for me. I use a very light spray with some oils in it (it is Burt's Bees carrotseed oil face spray) - the oils are carrotseed, sandalwood, patchouli, and rose oils. I mostly use it for the fragrance but I think the light oiling helps with dryness. I think if you use a heavy oil like olive that you would have to use shampoo or ACV to keep your hair from being greasy all the time...Anais? (by the way, Sasumi, your hair is beautiful and shiny!)
PurpleBubba View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PurpleBubba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2006 at 8:00pm
I pretty much can use whatever method I feel like.

I either do S+C or I do a method of CO

I don't think I've done a CWC though.

I think I have a thread that lists my washing methods on this long hair board.

Probably titled PurpleBubba's Routine or something like that.
Karen Shelton View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Karen Shelton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2006 at 8:29pm

Originally posted by Sasumi Sasumi wrote:

Ehhh, question about CO washing.

Once I heavily oiled my hair with olive oil, and I tried just rinsing it out with water, and then applied conditioner and rinsed it out (without shampooing) and the next day my hair was terribly oily.

So, do you use shampoo on days when you oil?

Hi,

Little tip about oiling...before you wash...apply a tiny bit of unconcentrated shampoo into the palms of your hands.  A tiny bit should work...just enough to cover your palms lightly.

Then pat the shampoo covered palms along the top of the oiled hair.

Get into the shower and turn on the lukewarm water.  Or you can use the clean bottle-of-water-over-the-head approach.  Drizzle water onto the shampoo and pat lightly to form a slight lather.  Keep drizzling water until you have a full lather and then let the suds gently float down over your strands to the ends.

Then rinse really really well with lukewarm water.

The shampoo applied to the dry oiled hair will cut the oil instantly and if you are careful, the undiluted shampoo doesn't undo all the great advantages of the oiling process.

I love oiling my hair but often worry that the effort at getting the oil out undoes all the benefits.  :-)

Try it and see if it works for you.

I do not advise that anyone use Castor oil on their hair.  I did that years ago and spend literally weeks trying to get it out.  YUCK.

Edited by Karen Shelton
That which doesn't kill you makes you stronger or drives you totally insane. :-)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AnaisSatin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2006 at 9:16pm

I've used shea butter a lot (not as much lately, though) and I had no problem removing it with CO. However it does depend on how long you wait, and the absorbency of your hair. It helped that they were small leave-in oilings, 2 days before a wash... then the shea just got SUCKED in after awhile!  I do ACV with each wash and it helps "a bit".... i.e. I'm not sure if it really helps, but ACV prevents my itching.

Anais 

my LJ, 40 inches long

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SpecialKitty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2006 at 9:17am

Great info, Anais and Karen! Wow, that castor oil experience sounds horrid....  I think I am definitely more of a shea butter person than an oil person. I also think the ACV rinses help with my itchy scalp, though I notice my hair seems dry the day or two after an ACV rinse. Does this happen to you Anais? Thanks again.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AnaisSatin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2006 at 8:15pm

I dunno..... slather on more conditioner than usual after that ACV rinse?

Hugs
Anais

my LJ, 40 inches long

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SpecialKitty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2006 at 11:09pm
I'll give it a try
LadyFrog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LadyFrog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 18 2006 at 4:12pm
Ok, this is the third week of my second CO attempt and everythings going fine. I washed my hair once a week and it looked...good! My hair doesn't seem to get greasy, just a little piecy occasionally. which is good I guess, easier to hide!

This last wash, I wet my hair with cold water, then wa5rm water and combed through a load of conditioner, massaged, put it in a stickless bun and let it sit whilst I finished my shower. Then I rinsed it out and finished with a blast of cold water. I put a bit of leave in on the ends and used a hairstick to lift my roots. It seems to have left it clean and it looks like it did with shampoo, just less flyaway.

Are you still attempting CO SK?

28.02.06 34 inches
Photos
Lifes a grave. Dig it.
-Wednesday 13

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SpecialKitty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2006 at 11:09am

Hi LadyFrog, yes I am still doing CO most weeks with good results. Last week, however, I used some diluted shampoo because I was speaking at a conference and wanted my hair down, and the "piecy-ness" you speak of I have as well. So that was the first shampoo I've used in a couple of weeks. I also cleaned all my hair tools at the same time.

I'm going 3-4 days in between CO's and my hair is wavy, soft, and not greasy at all. No itchies either. I've found CO works far better for me than oiling or using butters. If I use either, I have to then use shampoo to wash out the greasies. If I only CO, then my hair is not greasy at all.

I am still using the Burt's Bees Carrot Seed Oil Spray in between washes to dampen for braiding, and that is such a light spray that it is really almost like using water. As for method, I just wet my hair in the shower, use Aveda diluted conditioner, let it sit, rinse, then Lush Veganese conditioner, rinse, then Aveda for the final, then rinse. I alternate using leave-in every few washes.

LadyFrog, can you tell me how to use a hairstick to put volume in your roots? I'd like to try it!

LadyFrog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LadyFrog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2006 at 1:19pm
I comb my hair and then use a hairstick to trace lines across my head, lifting and separating the hair as I go. It means the roots aren't plastered against my head. There is a proper article on how to do it on long hair community but the sites being redone and not all the links are there yet.

I hope the instructions are clear enough-I didn't know how else to describe it!

I'm glad your CO is going well

28.02.06 34 inches
Photos
Lifes a grave. Dig it.
-Wednesday 13

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SpecialKitty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2006 at 2:15pm
Great info, thanks LF! I'm glad your CO is going well also. I will try to find that link soon.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AnaisSatin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 20 2006 at 10:18am

Hey ladies, just this week I tried out Chagrin Valley natural shampoo bars. They work wonderfully for that once-in-awhile wash in between CO'ings and I don't get the "piecyness". The scalp didn't itch until about the 5th day.

Just throwing that out in case anyone is looking for a natural shampoo alternative too... I'd been considering CV for a long time, in place of my first CO conditioner to avoid slathering something on the scalp. It worked really well so far (although I miss the CO slickness)

Anais

my LJ, 40 inches long

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SpecialKitty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 20 2006 at 10:34am
Cool! A soap for shampoo - that would really help me since I travel a great deal for work. Thanks Anais
Sugaree View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugaree Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2006 at 1:46pm
I tried CO last week...not too good. I found my hair felt very greasy, dull
and weighed down at the roots. It felt nice though...kind of heavy in a
way. I'm not sure if it's for me. I like my hair to lift at the roots, and CO
made it very flat at the top. But, today I shampooed with Citre'Shine (citra,
citri whatver) and my hair looks shiney and feels soft. I only use it once in
a while, when my hair starts to feel weighed down. I think after all that
COing and then a good cleansing...resulted in soft yet light clean-feeling
hair. So perhaps I'll stick with that routine and see how it goes.
Don't let the man get you down ~ me

1c MC iii Dark Brown, 22" Goal: Waist
LadyFrog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LadyFrog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2006 at 3:52pm
My hair's a bit piecy now  I'm at a bit of a loss as to what to do-just carry on COing or do a diluted shampoo, or see if just rinsing with water would unpiece it (my Mum is convinced that it's the residue from conditioner that's making it clump together.)

Suggestions?

28.02.06 34 inches
Photos
Lifes a grave. Dig it.
-Wednesday 13
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic