Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

remove the effects of henna

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
mahaya View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mahaya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: remove the effects of henna
    Posted: January 23 2006 at 12:05am

Hello!

To make a long story short, I thought it would be beneficial for me to henna my hair.  I put a neutral henna into my hair about a day and a half ago.  I absolutely hate how my hair feels and looks now.  I understand that my hair is the same color, but the texture of my hair is different, it is too soft now, it is very limp and kind of flyaway-ish.  My hair looks really different now when it is down.  I was wondering if anyone has any ideas on how to remove the henna from my hair and get my hair back to how it was before I did this!

missrini View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote missrini Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2006 at 3:57am

Hi mahaya

Neutral henna (ie Cassia Obovata) usually requires two or more applications to get the best results.  What did you mix it with? Was it good quality/fresh stuff?  I would suggest giving it another go.

However, if you are really not liking the results, then resume your normal routine and your hair will go back to normal.

HTH

25 inches as at 1st Nov 06
mahaya View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mahaya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2006 at 8:31pm

I don't think I'm going to try it again.  I swore that if I could get my hair back to how it used to look and feel, I'll never mess with my hair again!  So if I just do my regular hair routine, then my hair will go back to how it looked and felt prior to the henna?  How long will that take??  I read on two different websites that if I put rubbing alcohol and mineral oil in my hair, it should help strip the henna.  I'm just really desperate to rid my hair of it! 

Oh by the way, YOU'RE hair looks gorgeous with the henna.  I guess henna is just not for my hair.  And I hope you're feeling well from your surgery

Thanks!

missrini View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote missrini Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2006 at 9:48pm

Thanks mahaya  I am almost 100% recovered from my surgery, thanks.

Now...I don't know if I am confused here....the stuff that you used on your hair was not henna was it? I mean, was it lawsonia inermis (henna...green, grassy powder...dyes red) or was it cassia obovata (sometimes falsely called "neutral henna" which does not dye at all)?? Either way, neither will be stripped from your hair by any method that I know of. Henna is permanent. Cassia however, is more like a "conditioning treatment".  Like any conditioning treatment, the effects wear off over time (depends on your hair...but maybe one week?)

I would still recommend that you do another application of Cassia though. Mix it with yoghurt and see what happens.  It really is an excellent hair conditioner which will help damaged hair and make it thicker and glossy.  If you would like more info on cassia...click here

Don't worry....you have not ruined your hair

mahaya View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mahaya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2006 at 3:17pm

I am glad to hear you're recovering well from your surgery!

Okay, what I used was the Cassia Obovata.  So, since it is more like a conditioning treatiment, the affects won't last as long???  My hair will go back to how it was pre-henna (or cassia obovata)?  Well if that's the case, then I am extremely relieved!  Is that the same for henna that dyes your hair?  I guess I should have researched all of this before I decided to do it, but I just got an impulse and decided to do it right then.  I mean, I know it's not that big of deal--especially since I didn't even alter the color of my hair or anything too drastic--but my hair definately looks and feels different.  I'm pretty particular about my hair and I have never done any color or henna to my hair before so I'm pretty new to this kind of stuff!  Thank you so much though for you time and advice!

Mahaya   

SpecialKitty View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SpecialKitty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2006 at 6:51pm
This is all really good information, as I have been considering doing a Cassia/Neutral Henna treatment. I have had some trouble finding Cassia where I live or on the internet. I have somewhat fine hair so I wouldn't want my hair to be weighed down or limp as you describe, Mahaya. But yogurt sounds like the trick. Thanks for all the good info, Mahaya and MissRini. If either of you knows where I can by the Cassia Obovata, please let me know. Thanks!
missrini View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote missrini Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2006 at 8:11pm

Mahaya...no problem :)  Btw...henna is permanent...just so you know.

Special Kitty....click here for one cassia seller (where I get mine from)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SpecialKitty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2006 at 10:15am

Thank you for the link MissRini. So, just to clarify, I mix the Cassia with yoghurt and then apply? Maybe do it twice or thrice?

mahaya View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mahaya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2006 at 11:34am

Okay, I don't mean to be the slow one, but I understand when you say that henna is permanet.  I guess what I need help understanding is does that mean my hair won't go back to normal?  I mean, if I don't maintain it, it will eventually just go back to how it was prior to?  I'm sorry to keep asking all these questions, but any information would help

Thanks again

missrini View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote missrini Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2006 at 8:57pm

Special kitty......just mix the cassia up with some yoghurt and wack it on your hair. Leave it covered in plastic for up to an hour and then rinse out.  See how your hair feels after?  If it feels a bit weird, then do it again and see etc.  I think that if you have some damaged hair to start with, you would need to do it a couple of times. SpecialKitty, if it is just a conitioning treatment you are after, then why not try Amla powder? You can buy it from the same site. Mix it with warm water and apply the same way. I always got GREAT results from amla first time.

Mahaya...I understand this is confusing   When I say henna is permanent...I'm referring to henna. Not cassia (I never call cassia neutral henna btw).  Your hair WILL go back to normal because you did not use henna.  The effects of henna (dye, thickening, conditioning) are permanent. Although the latter two effects will wear off to some extent over time.   The effects of cassia are like those from a conditioning treatment. Those effects disappear over time.  No harm done (in fact, you probably got some benefits you may not realise).

Does that make sense?

Sugarloaf View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarloaf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2006 at 11:04am
I'm a bit confused about the difference between henna and permanent dyes.  I used to think that henna was a natural product that gave gloss and brightened up existing colour.  I've managed to reach my great age without realising henna is permanent.  Does that mean there would be a "roots" problem once it started to grow out?  I gave up permanent dyes because my hair grows really fast and the roots used to show after two weeks. 
missrini View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote missrini Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2006 at 4:52pm

Hi Sugarloaf :)

Henna is a permanent dye. Body Art Quality Henna covers greys beautifully, but yes, there is a roots issue. I do my roots every 3 weeks (I have the fast growing thing happening too).  Unlike when I used chemical dyes, I look forward to my henna ritual!

You CAN use henna in a "gloss" by mixing a very small amount of henna paste with a larger amount of conditioner (or yoghurt). There will be a small amount of colour deposited (which again, is permanent) and you will also get the excellent conditioning benefits of henna.

HTH

Sugarloaf View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarloaf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2006 at 1:33am

Thanks for that info. I could have made a big mistake.  I've nearly finished growing out my roots and never want to repeat the experience!! Think I'll just carry on conditioning.  Seems to be working. 

I love following your "progress" photos by the way.  How long was it before the August "chop"?

missrini View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote missrini Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2006 at 3:32am

Thanks Sugarloaf   I did used to have a "before chop" pic in my sig, but bumped it to make room for the progress shots (and I never want to look back anyway!).  It's never been really long, just BSL.  Here is a pic:

It's pretty hard to tell.....but when stretched out straight, it was BSL

mahaya View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mahaya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2006 at 11:32am

Thanks missrini, it does make sense.  I'm just gonna go back to my normal routine, not mess with my hair anymore, and just let it grow.  The cassia stuff will go away eventually! 

Oh by the way, you are very pretty! 

Thanks again so much for all your help!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SpecialKitty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2006 at 11:34am
Wow, MissRini, you are so pretty!!! Your hair will be that long again in no time. And a big hug and thanks again for all your great henna knowledge, experience, and advice. I'm awaiting samples right now of Cassia so I can try it out!!
noeyangel77 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote noeyangel77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2006 at 9:55am

Hi Rini,

For some reason I cant open any of my personal messages or send one so can you just resend your reply to this topic?

Thanks so much

NOey

AnaisSatin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AnaisSatin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2006 at 1:52am
Rini, you are one gorgeous gal!  and your husband is a professional photographer, right? Because the lighting in that photo is awesome.
my LJ, 40 inches long
missrini View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote missrini Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2006 at 4:04am

Thanks Mahaya, SpecialKitty, Anais  I actually think my head resembles a lightbulb in that pic, but hey I'll take the compliment!

Noey...I'll resend my PM reply, no worries.

Anais, yeah DH is a professional photographer, but that pic was taken with my little digital out in the backyard. You oughta see his GOOD stuff!!!    I think when my hair is of a decent "show-off-able" length, then I'll get him to do some cool arty hair shots.

mahaya View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mahaya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2006 at 1:30pm

So I have just one more question:

If I did like the results from the cassia, would I have had to put that stuff in my hair like once every two or three weeks or so because it isn't permanet and it and the affects gradually go away?  What would the maintenance be like?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic