Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Need support from my friends at HB!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Sugaree View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugaree Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Need support from my friends at HB!
    Posted: January 25 2006 at 1:50pm
So, I've been feeling a little discouraged lately. I cut my hair back in
October, which was devastating BTW, I cried for about a week. But you
know what they say, life goes on, and hair grows. So, I joined this hair
board and have been enjoying discussions here with everyone ever since,
getting great advice and inspiration. Yet lately I'm finding as my hair
grows, I have been having a lot of regretful thinking...if I didn't cut it
back then...imagin how long it would be now...
these sorts of
thoughts. Thinking this way is really not my style. I'm really all about
trying to make the best of a bad situation. But the hair thing, I have
trouble dealing with for some reason, it really bothers me! I guess it's
something that effects me all the time. If I'm having a good hair day, the
whole of the day turns out good, and visa versa. Maybe it's all in my head
(no puns intended). I don't really know what I want from you guys, but
you all have such great things to say here, and you all care about hair as
much as I do. So I thought maybe I could get some words of wisdom from
my pals at HB. Wow, sorry for the lengthy thread people.
Don't let the man get you down ~ me

1c MC iii Dark Brown, 22" Goal: Waist
LadyFrog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LadyFrog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2006 at 3:30pm
I'm sorry you've been feeling down Sugaree. I know what you mean though, although I don't think that abnout my hair I do it so much in other parts of my life that it seems I'm constantly rethinking sometimes! But hey, when you finally get to our goal length it'll be so much healthier than if you'de grown it from your starting point because you'll have got rid of any damaged ends and will have (hopefully!) got healthier hair as a result of HB! And so, even though it might take a bit longer to get there, it'll be worth it because once you got there, the rest of your head would have looked so gob smackingly gorgeous that you felt ou had to cut your ends off and grow it all again!!!! Hope you feel better soon

28.02.06 34 inches
Photos
Lifes a grave. Dig it.
-Wednesday 13
KellyX View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KellyX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2006 at 5:26pm
Hi Sugaree..I am new here and I recently had a bad cut done on my hair.  I lost about 5 inches off hair that I worked on for over a year to get the length I had. Like you I cried too, but then I started thinking to myself " it will grow back before you know it ". Already in only 2 weeks, I have noticed a difference. I too keeping thinking about what I use to  have, but I know by summers end, I will have it again.  On a good note, as LadyFrog stated, any damaged ends I had is gone.  My hair feels great to the touch and I cant wait to feel it this good when it gets longer!  I hope you feel better soon.  By the way, how much did you cut off?
laststar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote laststar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2006 at 8:06pm
      I know that feels bad looking at the mistakes we
make, although, try to look forward to how nice it
will be when it finally gets long the way you like it.
And at your growth rate you will be there in know time.
Cheer up and good luck.
1b-M-ii type, 29.5 inches long as of 07/11/06, goal for now waist
missrini View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote missrini Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2006 at 8:44pm

for you Sugaree.  We've all been there I'm sure. I am there quite often   But just think about this: While you feel sad, your hair is growing.  When you wake up and look at yourself in the mirror and think "eek", your hair is growing.  While you look at photos of your old self with long hair, your hair is growing. While you do the laundry and vacuum the floor, your hair is growing.   I mean...it's growing!!!!  And you are getting such great growth too.

Best thing to do....try not to look at it, or think about it.  A watched pot never boils.  Put it up in a nice style, and then concentrate on other things in your life.  Your hair IS and WILL KEEP growing while your life happens.  Put the energy into your life

25 inches as at 1st Nov 06
AnaisSatin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AnaisSatin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2006 at 11:44pm

Hi Sugaree  Growing is a journey and an experience, and the best thing of all is to enjoy each little discovery as it happens - the "first-time" everything happens, such as the first time it brushes [body part], or the first time you are able to make [hairdo]. It's like watching your baby grow up I guess.....and do you keep a hair journal? Journaling helped me be more attentive to the little details I never noticed before.

I hope you are feeling better about your length.

Anais

my LJ, 40 inches long
Bob S View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2006 at 10:04am

Okay, Sugaree, I understand how you were sucked into a cut in October. It's easy to notice other women with great short cuts, and esp. on a bad day, start thinking how a change might lift your spirits. BUT, since you are someone who truly loves tresses, and your mental image of yourself is as such, any feelings of exhiliration YOU would experience with a new look would be short-lived.

That's why many long-haired folks say that you should give yourself a minimum of two weeks before making any change. The important thing , Sug, is that you now know beyond any doubt, that your spirit is best nourished with long hair. You have a long life ahead, and this is a temporary setback. Tell yourself, "My hair looks good *now*, but for the rest of my life, it's only getting better!"

Tack a photo of your present self in a prominent place to remind yourself of your current feelings, should you ever be impressed with a particularly nice short haircut on someone again. Pretty coifs will always be out there, tempting sensuous Rapunzels to join the crowd. But for you (and me, obviously), there is nothing in this world as ravishing as a woman with cascading long tresses. And mistakes need *never* be repeated. It's all up to you, Sugaree! Happy Growing, Bob

Edited by Bob S
Alayney View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alayney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2006 at 5:10am
Whenever you start the "coudla/shoulda/wouldas" just stop and say to yourself, "there is NOTHING I can do about it now; there's no sense in worrying about it." Just say that to yourself every time and eventually you should be able to stop that "negative" thinking. That's why I do and it works for me. Also, you could tell yourself that your mental energy could be going towards something more significant (i.e., something you CAN change). You could try that for yourself Ladyfrog, for those other aspects of your life. Try it! You have nothing to lose.
Susan W View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Susan W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2006 at 7:15am
We all support you and support the growth of longer hair, but you always have to keep in mind that it is only hair.  No matter what happens, you can't let your hair ruin your life - your life is more important, and the annoying hair days will pass.  Good luck, and hope you feel better soon. 

SpecialKitty View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SpecialKitty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2006 at 11:40am

Hi Sugaree. I know you feel sad about that lost hair. Alayney makes a good point about saying "stop" to those negative thoughts. Allow yourself maybe one or two minutes of these thoughts and then picture a big red "stop" sign and make yourself stop. Then replace those thoughts with mental images of your hair at your desired length. Your hair is so beautiful, Sugaree, I remember some pics you posted recently. Really glossy, thick and lovely. It is beautiful now, and it will be beautiful as it grows, and then at your desired length. I'm glad you reached out for some encouragement.

Sugaree View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugaree Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2006 at 11:57am
WOW. Thank you all so much! Everyone has such wise things to say, I
can't help but feel inspiried.
I love this board! You are all good
peoples. I totally agree with everything that was said here! I am actually
feeling a lot better about it ( I was really having a bad day the day I posted
this, you all helped so much. ) I hope you guys don't think I'm some
weirdo that has no problems bigger than the length of my hair, trust me, I
do! But I feel my concern for my personal appearance radiates outward to
other aspects of my life ( like work, relationships and my general self
confidence. ) But, like Susan W said, my life is more important than hair,
and I'm just glad I woke up this morning. THANK YOU ALL, YOU ROCK!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SpecialKitty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2006 at 12:00pm
YOU ROCK TOO, Sugaree, you Grateful Dead rocker you!!! Take good care of yourself! (where did your sig go, by the way?)
Sugaree View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugaree Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2006 at 12:04pm
Hey, that's a good question

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SpecialKitty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2006 at 12:06pm
ooops, I just noticed my sig is missing as well.....hmmm, very mysterious. Glad you're feeling better, Sugaree
Sugaree View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugaree Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2006 at 1:34pm
You asking me about my sig just made me realize it's relevancy to this
situation. ( Since I'm having technical difficulties right now, the quote was,
"Lately it's occurred to me, what a long strange trip it's been".) It's one of
my favorite quotes. What it means to me is; looking back, and thinking
about how our experiences make life so rich. But they may have been
talking about LSD. Who knows!
DaveDecker View Drop Down
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveDecker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 05 2006 at 4:05pm
First, I've no idea what's happenening to people's signatures... I can't imagine yours was deserving of deletion, Sugaree.  If you (and SpecialKitty) would like, feel free to update your signature lines.  If there's a technical problem, please PM me or Karen or Jeff.

I'm glad you're feeling better Sugaree, and THANKS TO ALL who've offered you their supportive words.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic