Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

What kind of lotion do you use?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
JenJen21 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JenJen21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What kind of lotion do you use?
    Posted: January 25 2006 at 8:46pm

I have very dry skin (prone to eczema in some places) and I am on the hunt for a really good, moisturizing lotion. The kind where the moisture sticks with you all day. I'd prefer is have no petrolatum or mineral oil in it and that it doesn't cost $10 for 4 oz of it.

The kind I use now is called Jergens Ultra Healing. The ingredients start off good, but...:

water, glycerin, cetearyl alcohol, petrolatum, mineral oil, ceteareth-20, cetyl-PH hydroxethyl palmitamide, allantoin, dimethicone, glyceryl dilaurate, aluminum starch octenylsuccinate, cyclopentasiloxane, stearic acid, carbomer, methylparaben, propylparaben, sodium hydroxide, dmdm hydantoin, fragrance.

TIA for your help

3c/4a
Current Length: Neck
Transitioning
Last Relaxer: 11/26/05
Current Style: Box Braids
_thumbelina_ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote _thumbelina_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2006 at 8:51am

Cocoa butter! I had really dry and rough skin during the winter and had begun to try out the more expensive products, none of which worked especially well for me. I'd heard quite a bit of talk about cocoa butter so I gave it a try and voila! Dry skin is a thing of the past

Thankfully too, it doesn't cost a lot, at least not the one I got. 400ml for £1.78, and you don't need much at any one time. Good luck!

aseya View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aseya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2006 at 4:07pm
My legs get really dry, which is weird cuz if I put any moisturiser from my belly button up, I break out in a little rash. Its kinda funny:)

I used to use a body butter by a south african company called fume. It was pure coco butter with shea butter and almond oil. It started off a little greasy, but after a while it was lovely!! But I ran out and it got discontinued, so I had to change.

Then I used the Body Shops coco butter. It's in a tub, and has a creamy consistency, but its quite thick so its also very moisturizing. And it smells lovely. But its not as pure as the fume one.

Right now I'm using NIVEA Smooth Triple Action. I really really like it. It's got gingko extract in it and its really thick and my skin just laps it up! But I think it MAY have some mineral oil in it, I'm not sure. I'll have to look it up and get back to you, but I can definitly recommend it.

katay View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote katay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2006 at 8:48am

My younger sister Judy(she's 30 1/2yr.s) has always had extremly dry skin. She likes Nivea lotion, but recently told me she now uses Shea butter(in a jar). Or Judy will put on a body oil after her shower too. Plus she eats well, and takes Vitamin E, which, I think helps her.

That's all for now, Good Luck,...;)

God Bless,...
Katie
deexox View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deexox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2006 at 6:03pm
I like Olay Queench. I have ezema, but since I started using it, it's no longer there. I'm not sure of the ingredients though.-
Hair Type- 4a/b *transitioning front of my head*
Length-ranges from 5-7 inches =)
Products- Garnier Fructis S & S Poo, Lustrasilk Shea Butter Mango Conditioner and Cantu-Leave in =)
blueorca84 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blueorca84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2006 at 4:33pm
i love vaseline advanced healing or total moisture-- they work amazingingly well and it's a good price
cocoabrown26 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cocoabrown26 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2006 at 10:29am
Definitely Aveeno. Doesn't have a lot of water, no harsh perfumes and its really good on Eczema, because it has an oatmeal product in it.  Try it and see how you like it.
caramel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote caramel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2006 at 1:54pm
i would suggest aveeno as well
katay View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote katay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2006 at 9:42am

Hi, well, for my hands, I use Suave natural Oatmeal lotion, which helps, also neutragena norwegin hand cream. For my face and neck, I love Olay SPF 15, with vitamin E. It works great, and is non comedogenic(doesn't clog pores). Plus, I'm lucky I really don't need body lotion. If I do, I use the Suave, or I've heard curell works great for all over.

Thanks,..;)

God Bless,...
Katie
nursie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nursie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2006 at 9:45pm
an over the counter lotion that we recommend for our patients (especially diabetics) suffering from scaly, dry skin is Eucerin..it is very thick and good for the all day hydrating....and for dry hands, good old tried and true Neutrogena
Champagne_Wishe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Champagne_Wishe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2006 at 9:45pm
I like Aveeno or Cetaphil Lotion or Cream, which ever you prefer.  If you have a nut allergy or tree nut, don't use the Cetaphil Moisturizing lotion.
NaturalBeauty View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NaturalBeauty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2006 at 11:21am
I use a cocoa butter lotion that I make it is great becasue it is so rich it will last all day.  cocoa butter is great becasue it creates a protective coating to help moisturize and protect your skin.  I only use like 5 ingredients that are all natural and it is more like a butter than a lotin.  also taking baths in oatmeal will help exczma and moisturize your skin. you can check out my website if you wnat to
let your beauty be natural!!
jlabradors View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jlabradors Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2006 at 10:28pm
If nothing works on the surface, then you must try detoxifing. You need oils from the inside to help. First go to you health food stores ask about detoxifing prodcts. Work up a sweat to detoxify. Eat more healthy fats. Oils will feed the skin. Drink major water. If you weigh 100 pounds, then you need 50 oz of water a day. If you weigh 150 pounds then you need 75 oz of water a day. Do you see? Try this. I have excellent skin and used to have dry skin. I have tried all the lotions. Detoxifing is a cure all method. It will stop what ever you're sick of. Headaches, dry skin, oily skin, whatever the case maybe. Good luck!
jlabradors
Jamgurl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jamgurl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2006 at 2:04pm
JenJen...I have tried so many lotions, but all of them, within hours after applying, I have to reapply ---particulalry because of the air-conditioning in my office drying out my skin. The ones that dont dry out, are usually very greasy, so outdoor, thats a problem with dirt and humidity..

I have found a miracle however.
Skin So Soft from AvonThumbs Up....I was shocked the first day I used it and didnt have to reapply by mid-day. It works right back til I take my next shower. And its so cheap.
The citrus scent is great (yellow bottle).
THECHOSEN1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote THECHOSEN1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 06 2006 at 9:42pm
cocao butter
waveing is mental a barrier u must over come

Chi-Town_Boy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chi-Town_Boy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 18 2006 at 12:58am

skin so soft

Making A Big Comeback New Pics Coming Soon

palikane View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote palikane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2006 at 3:50pm
I agree with Chi-Town....skin so soft (or just baby oil) is extremely mild...but it leaves skin so smooth. Also it's easily obtainable and cheap.
peter123 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peter123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2006 at 11:12am
I use johnson baby lotion to rid dryness.
pr.
Sharyg11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sharyg11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 10 2006 at 11:20pm
Lubriderm is great, specially for problem skin. Also anything with Shea butter.
Sharyg11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sharyg11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 27 2006 at 12:56pm
Jlabradors is right!!! OMG I'm going through a Detox program right now, I'm working out, and drinking half my body weight (in ounces) every day. My dry skin is gone!!! I don't even use lotion anymore. My complexion is beautiful, my back no longer breaks out, and recently I had discovered this dry patch of skin on my left arm. It was just in one spot. It was dry and scaly and would flake off. I kept putting lotion, exfoliating and it would not go away. Well, it is gone now. Do that detox and drink that water, your eczema will probably be gone afterwards. I don't know which detox Jlabrador uses, but I use the one from Drnatura.com and it works wonderful. Is a miracle in a box. If you actually do it, keep us posted on how it goes.

Good luck and great skin

Shary
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic