Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

peeling lips

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
TMurda View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TMurda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: peeling lips
    Posted: January 31 2006 at 12:21pm
ive been having major lips problems for a while now and i need some advice on what to do.  my lips will be fine for about 3-4 days then theyll start peelin off in one big layor.  ive tried every type of lip balm but nothing works.  i need some help please

Edited by TMurda
trophywife View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trophywife Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2006 at 3:56am

The Body Shop's Vitamin E lip balm (in a pink-coloured stick, the actual balm is a waxy yellow colour) is very good, have you tried that?

Lip care products fall into three categories:

- scuffers (which gently remove the dry and peeling skin)

- repair-ers (applying to the damaged / fragile skin during and after the peeling)

- protectors (applying to the lips in cold or windy weather - these don't repair the skin but create a protective, oily layer over it, which locks in natural moisture

No one product can do more than one of the these things.  If your lips are peeling, you could use a fairly soft, old toothbrush and rub it gently across the peeling areas to remove the old, dry skin (the "lip dandruff").  Alternatively, you can use one of the special lip-scuffing products, there is a popular one made by FCUK and I believe there might be an Origins one too.  These products are like very gentle exfoliators, with little microbeads in to remove the peeling skin.

After "scuffing", your lips will still feel sore and there will be fragile, new skin exposed.  At this point, you must apply a product that repairs and moisturises.  I cannot recommend the Origins Lip Remedy more strongly; it is truly a wunder-product.  I have not come across anything else that works to actually REPAIR sore and dry lips.

When your lips are healed again, always apply a traditional "lip balm" like Carmex, Nivea, Vaseline or the Body Shop Vitamin E stick before you go outdoors or anywhere with central heating or aircon, when you get out of the shower and before you go to sleep.  Keep a couple in your coat pockets, handbags, desk etc. and be sure to re-apply frequently.  This should prevent your lips from getting too dry or damaged again in future.

Lastly, DON'T use lipsticks, liners, glosses or anything like that while your lips are repairing; they will only dry them out.  The only exception to this is the Elizabeth Arden 8-hour cream lipsticks, which have the same effect as applying the 8-hour moisturiser to your lips.  When your lips are repaired, try to stick to moisturising lip products and always apply a protective balm underneath them; this should also help to prevent future dryness and peeling.

Hope this helps.

Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, but set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trophywife Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2006 at 3:59am

p.s. don't pick at the peeling skin with your fingers, this won't help and it will also be very painful!  (Use the "scuffing" products or toothbrush method I've mentioned above).

p.p.s. drink plenty of water and avoid caffeine, alcohol and salt to keep your skin well-hydrated.

p.p.s. if you are in a centrally-heated environment, place a bowl of water beside the heater.  This will have the same effect as a humidifier and ensure that the air (and therefore your skin) doesn't get too dry and moisture-less.

Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, but set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.
TMurda View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TMurda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2006 at 10:02am
ok thanks a lot
TMurda View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TMurda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2006 at 4:58pm
thanks for that advice but it didnt work for me.  when i went to eat something my lips just starting peeling off again.  does any1 have any other advice?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trophywife Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2006 at 3:07am
You need to reapply the product after eating or getting your lips wet.  Good luck.
NaturalBeauty View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NaturalBeauty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2006 at 10:35am

I would use a natural balm on my lips. I am always impressed with they way herbs work.  lavender callendula nettle chamomile and comfrey all may help. and make sure the balm has vitamine e in it.  I also add pepermint and lavender to my lipbalm to help sooth the burning. 

p.s. If you can find a good balm I can make you one

let your beauty be natural!!
TMurda View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TMurda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2006 at 2:40pm

ok thanks

mina View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mina Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2006 at 9:49pm
I was having problems with my lips peeling too, and for no apparent reason. Finally I realized I'd developed an allergy to something in the the lip balm I was using...I switched to just plain old vaseline. It did the trick!

Good luck with that, I know it can be such a pain!

Mina
marina
tanjuska View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tanjuska Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 20 2006 at 10:06am

i heard vaseline doesn;t work in this case.

I heard honey helps. Apply on lips- leave it 5 minutes (after you can lick  it off 

one more advice: use an old toothbrush and gently scrub your lips...

p.s. do not lick your lips when being outdoor (this way lips are more exposed to chapping)... in such cases use balsam

TMurda View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TMurda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2006 at 5:48pm
has anyone tries burt's beeswax? and if u have used it before tell me what u think about it
Cherryblsmgrl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cherryblsmgrl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2006 at 9:40am
TMurda, any change? Your condition sounds pretty painful. While I've had my share of chapped lips, your situation sounds a bit more severe. I am wondering if trying all of these different types of products is only aggravating the issue. Have you considered going to a dermatologist? I agree that perhaps there is one small common ingredient in these products that you might be allergic to.

Good luck!
Follow Your Bliss
TMurda View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TMurda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 12 2006 at 3:22pm

well my lips havent got any better so my parents set me up with an appointment with the dermatologist. i heard neutrogena lip remedy would help but i cant find that anywhere. does any1 know anything abou this product?

Need Change View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Need Change Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2006 at 4:35pm
Try Mary Kay's Satin Lips. It works great. go to www.marykay.com and find a rep near you.
mtownprincess23 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mtownprincess23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2006 at 9:12pm
I'd recommend you use  Carmex. You can find it in local stores. It's a medicated lip balm that give me nice soft lips!!!
It's hard out here for a...... Princess

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trophywife Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2006 at 3:54am

Carmex and Burt's Beeswax are both great products; I use them both frequently.  However, they won't do much for damaged lips; they create a protective, oily layer over the top of the lips to prevent them from drying out (and getting damaged in future), but don't actually repair the lips.  I cannot recommend Origins Lip Remedy more strongly for damaged lips.  Then something like Carmex, Burt's Bees, Vaseline, etc. can be applied over the top or just exclusively when the sore skin has healed.

Good luck. 

TMurda View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TMurda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2006 at 9:49pm
thanks but what store would have Origins Lip Remedy? i can't find it anywhere. do i have to order it online?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trophywife Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2006 at 3:12am

In Europe, you can buy Origins from most large department stores.  You can't usually get it from high street chemists.  I have seen it stocked in stores like Barney's in the US.  Hope this helps.

(p.s. You may well be able to order it online too).

Happy1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Happy1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2006 at 4:26pm
I have to tell you to purchase the Satin Lips from Mary Kay.  IT IS THE BEST THING THEY EVER MADE.  My mother is very ill and her lips peeled like crazy.  This product is the only thing that worked for her.  Also, I found it on ebay and paid half the regular price.  It is a two piece combination product.  Try it..well worth it...You lips will feel like satin afterwards...
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic