Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Tried a straight comb

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
ITunes View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ITunes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tried a straight comb
    Posted: February 01 2006 at 7:16pm
I tried a straight comb today to get my hair flat(*Note I said Tried). It didn't work. My hair was so puffy and thick after I used the comb. Can someone tell me what I need to use to get my hair thin and not puffy at all? I mean thin like to my scalp thin. Would I need a flat iron? What else and how?

Edited by ITunes
ITunes View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ITunes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2006 at 9:21pm
 Changed topic. Bump.
trophywife View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trophywife Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2006 at 3:28am
An iron would help you to achieve that look, yes.  What kind of hair do you have naturally and which products do you use at the moment?
Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, but set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.
ITunes View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ITunes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2006 at 3:46pm
A bit, nappy afro and I don't use any because I don't have my hair the way I want it yet.
ITunes View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ITunes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 18 2006 at 8:54pm
I have a question though. With what I just said, Straighting it with an iron.

1-How will that effect the growth? Or damage my hair in anyway?
2-Washing it? What do I use and how?
3-To give it the wet look while its straight what should I use?
4-To give it the dry slik look what should I do or not do/use?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trophywife Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 20 2006 at 2:56am

1 - Straightening won't affect growth.  Like any heat styling, it isn't good for hair, but you can limit the damage and dryness by applying a heat protective product to the hair before styling and also by using moisturising shampoos and conditioners.

2 - You can wash your hair as usual although there are some shampoos and conditioners designed to help to "encourage" hair to be straight, (like Garnier Fructis Sleek and Shine).  However, it isn't necessary to use them, any products will do APART from anything that says it is "volumising", avoid these as they will make it very difficult to get a sleek effect with the straightening iron.

3 & 4 - Apply a serum to your hair when it's wet, one that's designed to reduce frizz.  This is necessary whether you want a wet or dry look when it's finished.  Depending on how long your hair is, you could use a small amount of gel to get a "wet" look although personally I've never tried that so I'm not sure how it would turn out.  To get the dry look just use the serum and the heat protective product when you straighten (like the L'Oréal Thermo one advertised by Beyoncé; there are lots of other kinds too, just look on the shelves).

Good luck!

Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, but set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trophywife Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 20 2006 at 2:57am
p.s. forgot to mention, as far as the damage goes, it is best to straighten just once a week or so; doing it every day will definitely dry out your hair, whatever type it is.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic