Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

short hair in style?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
xxxzvp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xxxzvp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: short hair in style?
    Posted: February 03 2006 at 12:46pm
Much to my chagrin, my wife has been growing out her hair for the past four months, and plans to have it long for a wedding that she is in this August.She has worn it short in the past, sometimes very short, and always looked good. But now I am noticing that very few women are wearing short short hair. Is this just because we live in the frozen north-east, or has super short hair gone out of style?I don't see many women on television or in the fashion magazines sporting cropped do's anymore. Just to be clear, what I mean by short hair is something like Alyssa Milano had a couple of years ago, or even shorter, like Susan Powter had.
aubergine View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aubergine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2006 at 1:39pm
The big thing recently has been long, super-straight locks, but I think that's just coming out of fashion now.  People are going a bit shorter I think, like mid-length, and there's a lot of red hair colour knocking about. 

Bobs never go out of fashion really though, there's always someone out there not conforming to what everyone else is doing.  Bob's are classics!

Merlin101 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Merlin101 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2006 at 2:39pm
Well, down in the comfortable South, I have noticed more women going to an A-line bob.  The one that starts out at the bottom of the ear and angles high up the back and back down to the bottom of the other ear.  The back is not cut close like they use to be but left about a 1/4 inch or so.  Long straight hair made famous by the likes of Hillary Duff have been the "in" style for a couple of years, but thankfully that trend seems to be ending.  I thinking this summer will be the return to super short stylish cuts.  The Hollywood Glamour girls are always looking for a change and the long look has been in for much too long.
I can barely conjure myself out of bed, let alone conjure up the devil.
HAWG View Drop Down
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HAWG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2006 at 5:32pm
I have to agree with Merlin; even here in Texas, where I always thought it was "long hair forever" for most girls, I'm seeing more and more short haircuts.  I've noticed A-lines and graduated bobs all over the MetroPlex.
HAWG
katay View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote katay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2006 at 11:49am

Hi, From Madison, Wisconsin!!!

Well, here I see it all, long and medium and short, all depends.

I know when I lived downtown, in Madison, I myself experimented with shorter hair, plus colors too, like fushia pink streaks, eek, it was wierd, but fun, LOL!!!

Usually any woman working for the State capitol(in Madison) would and still sports a short do, such as a Bob, or other one. Most middle aged women who sport short hair look sharp to me!

I myself am not a professional, but I have a long Bob cut and I think I'm looking great! I only want my hair to reach my shoulders till I'm 40 years,(I'm 35 now). Then at 40 I'm going shorter and funky, with fun highlights, and lowlights.I'm not worried what people think.

Live your life to the fullest!

Take Care,

God Bless,...
Katie
Rosalie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rosalie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2006 at 8:06pm
Why do people care about what's "in fashion"? What ever happened to not being a Borg Drone?
Kuroneko View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kuroneko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 05 2006 at 6:38am
The upside to being a Borg drone, you wouldn't have to worry about hair or fashion. . .
More awesome than a manatee!
loveshorthair View Drop Down
Super Elite Member
Super Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote loveshorthair Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 05 2006 at 10:46am
It has been a hard long rode for short hair lovers.  Almost everyone was growing their hair long with those stupid side swept bangs that never stay in place (talk about drones).  I have seen the start of a change to not just letting it grow and grow, though most are not going short (at least what I consider short) but going midlength.  It will take awhile to reach the masses and different parts of the country.  When the celebs and newspeople start, the trend will go faster.
Heratic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heratic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2006 at 2:16pm

I suppose it all depends where you look.  Whilst some women will always be changing their hair in some way - either cutting it from long to short, growing it out or changing the colour (to a greater or lesser extent) - there will always be those that keep the same look for a few years (or longer).

My wife always had long hair but went short a couple of years ago and has subsequently gone shorter still.  It is now no longer than two inches on top and cut down to 3/4inch at the back.  From what she said last time I don't think she'd mind if her stylist took the back and sides down to a 1/2 inch (or possibly 1/4 inch) with clippers on the next visit but she isn't ready to ask for this.

Similarly whilst one her friends has gone from bsl to short A-line bob very gradually over 18 months - losing an inch or two at a time (she has now fully exposed her nape up to her hairline) another has grown out a short cut to just above her shoulders in the same period.

If I look where I work there are no women with short cuts and the majority have traditional bobs or longer hair.

I suppose if a major celeb went short this could push the equilibrium more towards short hair for a while.

Kuroneko - your current icon photo looks fantastic.

Its your hair, your choice and your decision
hairalways View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hairalways Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2006 at 5:35am

I was going to post the same thing about Kuroneko's icon photo. Love the hair and the look.

As far as the thread - I posted something similar to this a few months back and still, I have not really seen the trends - or the masses - move in any direction but long.

here in florida, most women can be found with their hair up. Older women and short hair for lifers seem to be the only ones playing with short styles.

Still would love to see more people wearing their hair according to what looks good.

jacqui

demodoll View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote demodoll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2006 at 8:39am
jacqui, I would have to agree with you about Florida hair.  I live on the southeast coast (hurricane country) and I have found that if women have long hair they wear it up but most older women have short hair and keep it that way.  I am on the "older" side now and since moving here have cut my hair really short.  I am contemplating a move back to the Atlanta area and I am now trying to grow back a mid-length bob, mainly because from what I remember, that is the only way I could get my hair cut there that looked good.  It seems that most of the "star" hairdressers there could only do that with my hair.  I am all about low maintenance.  So, I am on the grow.  But not happy about it...
"It is better to look marvelous than to feel marvelous" Billy Crystal
Rocky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rocky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2006 at 1:33pm

It's hard to predict where style trends might go.  I think you're correct in your observation that very short hair has been out of style for a while now.  I don't know if the Susan Powter look was ever really "in" unless you go back to the early 80's when clipper-cuts were very common.  When she wore her hair buzzed, her particular style was not considered "in", as I recall.

The prevailing trend I've seen has been for women to wear their hair longer, get highlights and straighten the hair with a flat-iron.  Things are changing a bit in that the highlights are being replaced or combined with low-lights to add dimension to their color for something different. 

I've also spotted the a-line bob phenom occuring here in Wisconsin.  It has not been wide-spread and has been confined to older, professional women.  For 20-somthings, long still appears to be the rule.

My wife has traditionally been a short-hair girl in spite of prevailing trends.  She had grown her hair longer (shoulder-length) but she decided it isn't her best look.  She likes the ease and polish of short hair.  I cut her hair into an a-line style but she thought it made her look like an Assistant District Attorney or something.  I colored it a hot shade of red to give it a more edgy look which she loved and kept for several months.  Ultimately, however, she decided to go back to a short, razored crop around Christmas.  I also went back to that hot shade of red and added a few highlights.  She has gotten a ton of compliments and her hairstyle has triggered something of a mini-trend.  A number of women at church, our kids' events and sports practices have gotten short haircuts since her haircut in December.  I've even gotten some new customers as a result.

Who knows what it takes to spark a new hair trend?  Probably more than my wife showing up at basketball practice with a fresh crop.  Someone will need to show up in People or US magazine with a flattering new haircut to make people want to copy it.  A few female celebs have flirted with shorter hair; Kiera Knightley, Rachel Stevens, Paris Hilton went 'sans extensions', Britney Spears... (no comment).   These celeb styles haven't really hit the mark or made people look at them and say "Wow, I want my hair just like her."  That is precisely what happened in salons everywhere when Jennifer Annistion, Farrah, Dorothy Hammill and countless other celebs showed up in the public spotlight with a look that was different and appealing.  Will the "next big thing" be short hair?  I doubt it.  But, you never can tell.

Kuroneko View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kuroneko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 17 2006 at 12:30am
Ee, it seems I'm the only one who hates my current icon pic, then ^_^;;; .  But I guess if I must be in a minority, being the only one who thinks I look awful is a good one to be in!
More awesome than a manatee!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic