Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

more than the usual 1/2 inch?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
KellyX View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KellyX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: more than the usual 1/2 inch?
    Posted: February 09 2006 at 6:26pm

I seemed to have obtained some fast growth (close to an inch) since my cut last month and I was wondering how many of you out there have had the same results?  I mean longer than the usual 1/2 inch per month?

Kelly
dancingbarefoot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dancingbarefoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2006 at 7:15pm
Well, 1/2 inch per month is just the average. That means there are people
on either side. Lucky you, in the above average group!
PurpleBubba View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PurpleBubba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2006 at 7:19pm
I grew over 6 inches last year so I had to have at least a few months over 1/2" but I was not measuring each month. 
missrini View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote missrini Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2006 at 8:19pm
I regularly get 3/4 to 1 inch per month. Granted, it is summer here, but everyone in my family has hair that grows REALLY fast. I think it's just genetic.

25 inches as at 1st Nov 06
SpecialKitty View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SpecialKitty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 10 2006 at 3:14pm

Right now I'm growing about 3/4" per month (and it's winter), but my hair doesn't look like it grows that fast because it is wavy/curly....

AnaisSatin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AnaisSatin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 10 2006 at 11:32pm

Congratulations KellyX, close to an inch is a lot!

Frankly I don't know how fast my hair grows. I don't measure, just had a trim, and my hair has gotten to the point where growth is not noticeable. but it's definitely not at your super rate!

my LJ, 40 inches long
KellyX View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KellyX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2006 at 8:51am
Thanks for all your responses.  I never really noticed how fast mine grew either.  I am sure glad it does though! I just looked in the mirror a few weeks after the cut and thought WOW it looks like it grew already.  Nice to meet all of you.  missrini....Your January pic looks so much like my hair before the cut, color and all!  So I guess i dont have too far to go.
Kelly
PurpleBubba View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PurpleBubba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2006 at 7:56pm
As long as everyone keeps this in mind.

In order to have an average of something you need a number both higher and lower than the average. Hair is not using the calendar dates to time itself. So you could have 3/4 of an inch one month and a full inch another month then have a month of no growth and another month of 1/4 inch. This gives you an average of 1/2 inch.

I'm not trying to discourage anyone. Rather I want to point out that people can have months of little or no growth and still average a high number.

Plus even the most accurate measurements are not always accurate because of all the things that hair does. With it's stretching and shrinking.

So my point is stay positive about it even if the tape says zero growth. Those of you who may be shying away from posting to this thread because you think your hair isn't growing I wish you the best and I hope that you really are growing even if it is slowly.
missrini View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote missrini Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2006 at 8:14pm
That's an excellent point PurpleBubba!  Bearing in mind also that different parts of your hair grow at different rates, so when you are doing your measure (straight back over your head and to your longest part at the back), you are not taking into account how much your layers (if you have any) have grown or the sides of your hair.  I actually think measuring is a little misleading sometimes and I get a better indication by looking at my henna-free roots :)

25 inches as at 1st Nov 06
blueorca84 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blueorca84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2006 at 1:42pm
this sounds weird, but one time my hair grew about half an inch in a few days... i had just got my hair cut and and the stylist cut my bangs wayyyy too short- they went only about halfway down my forehead, even when my hair was wet and combed straight down.  but then a few days later i just got out of the shower and was combing my hair and i noticed that my bangs now reached my eyebrows
Longhairdreams View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Longhairdreams Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2006 at 3:34pm

Yeah hair is weird like that.I have a similar story.I got a pixie cut at the beginning of last sept.Within less than a week it was too long to even be called a pixie anymore,I gained a whole inch!  I dont even pics of the cut cause my hair had grown out so fast,lol.

sambolina20 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sambolina20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2006 at 5:29pm
I too am struggling with growing out my fine, thin poo poo hair! I'm so happy I found this site though, it's been rather encouraging! I just hope my hair hasn't reached it's max length. I also keep track of my growth by the roots of my hair! I do wonder though, I get my regular trims, but is that enough when starting to grow it out? I shouldn't chop it all off and start fresh, or should I? I would really hate to do that!
DaveDecker View Drop Down
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveDecker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2006 at 8:20pm
No need for drastic actions, sambolina... just stay away from the scissors for awhile (except, maybe, for split-end "search and destroy").

My hair grows at the average rate of about 6" per year, and just looky what I accumulated?  I'm proof that even someone whose hair is average can attain longer-than-average lengths.

Edited by DaveDecker
Sugaree View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugaree Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2006 at 1:33pm
It seems as though my hair grows at different rates depending on the
length (once it gets below my shoulders it seems to take longer) But, I
have a theory that it only appears to grow slower because you don't have
as many body parts to draw comparison. Like when it's short you can say
"okay.., nose, chin, shoulders"
Don't let the man get you down ~ me

1c MC iii Dark Brown, 22" Goal: Waist
KellyX View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KellyX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2006 at 4:23pm
Actually missrini....that is a good way to tell growth.  My hair was color treated prior  to the cut and I could tell how much it grew by my darker roots.
Kelly
Katharine View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Katharine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2006 at 7:03pm

Thanks PurpleBubba, for that explanation.  That helps.

I have always thought my hair grows slower than average, but I never measure, so I'm not really sure.  Maybe it just feels that way because I've always wanted it long and could never really get there. I was in a cycle of processing, damaging and cutting my hair.

SpecialKitty View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SpecialKitty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2006 at 7:49pm
Sambolina, welcome to the Board! How long is your hair?
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic