Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Relaxer Disaster-help!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
nx_madison View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nx_madison Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Relaxer Disaster-help!
    Posted: February 11 2006 at 10:21pm

I went and had my hair relaxed... it was good when i first got it but when i wash it, the hair just turn wavy like my natural hair but the disaster is that it wasnt smooth and nice like before , it turns dry and harsh like paper...LOL, and i think im allergic to the chemical. after i wash my hair for like 10 times i can still smell the chemical..... and NOW i want to get the relaxer chemical completely out...IS THERE ANYWAY THAT i can get my natural hair back??? is there any products that can remove hair relaxer.... anyone please help me... i miss my natural hair

and to anyone that want to get your hair relaxed.....do alot of homework.. if u are one of those who has curly hair... the regrowth can be a complete disaster and.....and IF YOU STILL wanna do it ... go to professional salon or else it will come out real bad.....

Edited by nx_madison
trophywife View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trophywife Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2006 at 3:25am

I don't think you can remove the relaxer from your hair, because it's a chemical and a chemical reaction has taken place with your hair so now the hair and the chemical are combined (if that makes sense).

However, what you can do is treat your hair very gently and use intensive conditioning masks and leave-ins as much as possible.  Another method is to condition your hair TWICE whenever you wash it.  Use a mild, moisturising shampoo, then a cheap conditioner and finally a heavier, richer conditioner (rinsing between each stage).  Avoid heat-styling to help your hair lose the dryness and stop feeling like paper.

I have also seen people on here mention a product by L'Anza that can help to rescue very dry, overprocessed hair.

Good luck. 

Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, but set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.
Sharyg11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sharyg11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2006 at 9:02pm

OK by what you are discribing, the procedure was done improperly. Sounds like you were overprocessed. Also, the reason why your hair still smells like the relaxer is because it was rinsed out incorrectly. When rinsing out relaxer, the water must be at the correct temperature. If the water is to warm it will diminish the effect of the relaxer. And if it is too cold for the procedure, it will cause the scales on the hair cuticle to close up. Holding the hair relaxer molecules trapped inside the hair. This will cause your hair to smell(or rather stink) for weeks after the procedure is done.

Whoever relaxed your hair did not do it right. Unfortunately the only way to get rid of the relaxer is to grow it out. But there are things you can do to make it better while that happens. Get yourself a bottle of Nexuss emergence. Treat your hair with every two weeks for the first month and a half. After that, use it once a month. That will stop breakage and fall out and improve the condition of the hair. remember to deep condition after the treatment. Protein treatments are designed to buffer damage not to soften hair. If you don't deep condition your hair will feel dry and nasty. Other protein treatments you can try are Joico reconstructor and Redken deep fuel. They all work great, and have the right molecular weigth to actually work.

If you ever want to relax your hair again (belive me, eventually you'll want to try it again) Try Thio based relaxer instead of Sodium hydroxide. They are designed to texturize hair instead of relaxing it. That means hair will be smooth and frizz free when blow dried or flat ironed, but you will still be able to wear it curly. Your curls or waves, will just be looser, smoother, shinier (get the picture). Rusk Radical anti-curl, X-tenso by loreal, or redken vertical are all exellent. I also heard someone say framesi makes a really good one, but I have never tried it.

Anyway, do the protein treatments and deep conditioning. It will take about a month before you see the results, but you will thank me.

Good luck.

Shary.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic